[Pnews] 144 Years for Prison Escapes

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 7 10:44:56 EDT 2013

  Voices from Solitary: 144 Years for Prison Escapes

October 6, 2013 By Voices from Solitary
<http://solitarywatch.com/author/voicesfromsolitary/>
http://solitarywatch.com/2013/10/06/t/

/The following comes from widely known, multiple prison escapee Steven
Jay Russell <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Jay_Russell>, 56, who
is c/urrently /serving a 140-year sentence/ in administrative
segregation at the all-solitary Allan B. P/olunsky Unit on Texas death
row. /Robert Perkinson, author of //Texas Tough//, describes Polunsky as
"the most lethal [death row] anywhere in the democratic world" and "the
hardest place to do time in Texas." /Russell, who is the first
/person in U.S. history to receive a life sentence for prison
escapes,/ has spent the last 17 years in solitary confinement, where he
will likely remain for the rest of his life.//Russell painstaking
orchestrated each of his four escapes -- all non-violent, executed
without a hostage or gun -- //by forging documents which he planted in
the system, manipulating prison officials and impersonating court system
officials and doctors. And all four times, he simply walked out of the
prison doors, embarrassing the Texas prison system in the process.
//Russell has stated that /he did it all in order to be with his/ lover,
Phillip Morris, /whom he met in 1995 while both were incarcerated at the
Harris County Jail./ His////// story is recounted in the movie ///I Love
You Phillip Morris,/ in which he is played by Jim Carrey. //He can be
reached by writing: Steven Russell, 00760259, Allan B. Polunsky Unit,
3872 FM 350 South, Livingston, TX 77351/. /--Lisa Dawson/

    *For more than 17 years, I've lived in a concrete box no larger than
    my late father's closet. Most likely, I will continue to live in
    this concrete box until I'm granted parole or die. Living among
    other offenders in general population will never occur based on the
    opinions of at least 10 Texas Department of Criminal Justice wardens
    who have supervised me since my convictions for theft by
    embezzlement and non-violent escapes. My total term of imprisonment
    is 144 years. No, I have never committed a violent act or ever
    possessed any type of weapons in either my criminal or institutional
    history. I've never damaged state property by digging a tunnel or
    knocking a hole in the wall of my cell. I always walked out the
    front or back door of the jail or prison without taking any
    hostages. So, I am writing this essay from my cell which is located
    in the death row building at the Polunsky Unit in Livingston, Texas.
    Death row building? Yes. I share a pod with Texas offenders who are
    sentenced to death.*

Remember George W. Bush? He was the president who told the nation and
world that the United States of America does not torture our prisoners.
Did I miss something last week or did I actually hear FBI
director-designate James Comey admit to Senator Al Franken that
prisoners at Gitmo were shackled in a standing position for seven days
at a stretch to deprive them of sleep. TDCJ does things a bit different.
They have what's called the "Intensive Cell Searches" wherein an inmate
cell is searched every hour of the day and night subsequent to that
offender assaulting a guard. This little program goes on for months at a
time right here on the Polunsky Unit. For those of us who walk out the
front door, TDCJ has "Intensive Cell Moves." For my first five years of
solitary confinement in the concrete box, I was required to exchange
cells with another inmate at least once every 72 hours. With more than
17 years of Solitary Confinement or Administrative Segregation now done,
I graduated to cell moves once every two weeks. Why is moving around a
big deal? Try moving into a different cell behind a mentally ill inmate
who leaves special little treasures of poop in the cell. I have
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. That's a great combination with the poop
left behind.

Have I become a loony tune after so many years of isolation? There are
times when I question my sanity. I've seen some people in Solitary who
could not take the isolation and would hang themselves and check out of
this world. Overdosing on psych medications is another preferred option
as it is less dramatic. One man took the plastic face off his radio,
sharpened the plastic on the floor of the cell, and cut the jugular vein
out of his neck. Altogether, I can recall 13 suicides that have occurred
during my time in Ad Seg. Others who can't deal with the reality of
their situation will take a razor blade and cut their arms or chest or
even their face. Their reasons for doing so can be as simple as a guard
taking their radio...because they did not possess property papers and
made the mistake of taking the opportunity to recreate in one of our
cages in the dayroom. Guards do not like inmates who come out of their
solitary cells and recreate or shower whenever given the opportunity.
That involves work, and guards do not like to work. Why don't you shower
in the cell today. You have a thing with hot water.

Isolation? How about not touching another individual for years or even
decades? Think a hug is not important to a father and his daughter? What
are prison officials creating for both the father and daughter? I got
lucky! I got a big ole hug from my little girl right before the judge
sentenced me to 99 years for walking out the front door of the Estelle
Unit in Huntsville. I also got a handshake from a friend who stuck his
hand out from the food slot of his cell while my handcuffs were in front
of me. No, neither of these acts were allowed by the folks who run our
state and prison. It was luck.

In California, it is my understanding that if you murder another inmate,
you are given a five year sentence in Ad Seg. In Texas, Chris Peoples
did six years in Seg for killing his cell mate. I'm working on 18 in Ad
Seg for walking out that front door. We have indeterminate sentences in
Ad Seg in Texas.

Ad Seg and death sentenced inmates incarcerated at the Polunsky Unit are
not allowed to discuss their mental health or physical issues with
either the medical or psychiatric staff without two guards who escort us
to the visit listening in to everything that is discussed. That includes
meetings with the prison psychiatrist which is conducted via video
cameras. In other words, the psychiatrist is not physically in the room.
Only the guards and inmate who is supposed to be discussing their mental
health issues in a confidential manner. Can you imagine the
chilling-effect this policy has on what's not discussed vs. what's
discussed?

I believe that long-term (more than 2 years) solitary confinement is
torture. I set the limit at two years because some inmates have killed
their cellies. In my opinion, those type (sexual or physically
assaultive) inmates should always be kept in a general population cell
by themselves or housed with another equally assaultive inmate as their
cellie. Keeping them in Ad Seg only makes the situation worse.