[Pnews] Voices from Solitary: Life in H-Unit, ADX Federal Supermax

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Nov 21 17:53:28 EST 2013

  Voices from Solitary: Life in H-Unit, ADX Federal Supermax

November 21, 2013
*http://solitarywatch.com/2013/11/21/voices-solitary-life-unit-h-adx-federal-supermax/#more-11564*
<http://solitarywatch.com/2013/11/21/voices-solitary-life-unit-h-adx-federal-supermax/#comments>

/The excerpts that follow come from a declaration by Mahmud Abouhalima,
who was convicted of taking part in the 1993 bombing of the World Trade
Center (a charge he still denies). Sentenced to 240 years, he initially
spent most of his time in the general population at federal maximum
security prisons, where he was permitted to hold a job, make phone
calls, visit family, watch television, read what he chose, and pray with
other Muslims. /

/On 9/11, Abouhalima was placed in solitary confinement, and eventually
transferred to ADX Florence in rural Colorado, the federal government's
only supermax prison. In 2005, after exchanging letters with a Muslim
prisoner in Spain, he was subjected to "Special Administrative Measures"
(SAMs), which ban virtually all communications with the outside world,
and placed in ADX's H-Unit. /

/The declaration, which describes Abouhalima's life in H-Unit, was
compiled for Ayyad v. Holder, a civil action filed in Federal District
Court in Colorado. It challenges his confinement on the grounds that it
violates his right to due process. Among other things, it claims that
the FBI is deeply involved in managing prisoners in the unit, even to
the point of overriding Bureau of Prisons officials. The declaration has
been heavily redacted by the FBI and U.S. Attorney's Office.  --James
Ridgeway/

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

Since September 11, 2001, through today, I have been in administrative
detention and faced brutal and systematic mental, spiritual, and
psychological cruelty. I never believed that such an unusual punishment
would be extended up until today, where I have lived in a prison cell
for the last ten years that is the size of a closet. I am fed like a zoo
animal through a slot in the door, and manacled and chained at the
hands, waist, and legs when I leave the cell. A black box with heavy
lock is placed on top of my wrist chains in addition to this when I am
escorted out of the unit, like to the hospital or to a visit...

Sitting in a small box in a walking distance of eight feet, this little
hole becomes my world, my dining room, reading and writing area,
sleeping, walking, urinating, and defecating. I am virtually living in a
bathroom, and this concept has never left my mind in ten years. The
toilet only works if you flush it once every five minutes, so if I press
the flush button twice by mistake, I have to wait for up to an hour,
with the smell of urine and defecation still there, everywhere I go,
sit, stand, or sleep.

For my first four years in segregation, I kept fighting paranoia. I
became suspicious of everything around me. If I heard the range door
open, I stood up, feeling that they were coming to take me away, even
though I didn't expect to go anywhere. The one hour a day of rec outside
the cell didn't heal a damn thing. I struggled with myself, telling
myself that maybe next month, next year it will be better and I would be
out of solitary confinement. Eventually I lost all hope of getting out
of segregation.

I lost appetite and just wanted to sleep. This was the first time in my
life that I experienced the brutality of force feeding. I also heard and
saw other inmates being taken by guards and medical staff in combat gear
and with cameras. Sometimes an inmate screamed so loud that I could hear
him...

I subscribed to a few magazines, like crochet and sports magazines, the
/Nation, /and the /Atlantic Monthly. /When the first issue of the sports
magazine arrived at the prison, SIS staff forwarded a copy of the
magazine to the FBI office and refused to release it to me without FBI
approval. The same thing happened to all of the magazines. The crochet
and sports magazines were returned to me after a few weeks' delay, with
a few pages removed. However, other magazines with political articles
were reduced literally to only a few pages.

For example, the first several issues of the /Nation /magazine were
reduced from around fifty pages to only fifteen to twenty pages. I was
told that the FBI removed all articles related to politics, as they
don't want us to read anything about politics. The same thing happened
with the /Atlantic Monthly, Time, Newsweek, /and other magazines. A
simple book like the world almanac was rejected twice because, according
to the FBI, certain information in it could be used for terrorism. I
filed administrative remedies and they were all denied, because the BOP
could not override an FBI decision...

Over the last six years, three of my uncles, my grandfather, my aunt,
and my uncle's daughter have all passed away. I submitted request after
request just to send condolence letters to my family mourning these
deaths. I also requested to speak with my aunt before she died of
cancer. They denied all of these requests...

An incoming letter in Arabic from my mother and brother was rejected
because my brother wrote that an old friend said hello to me. The letter
was sent back to Egypt after sitting in the FBI office for two months...

It is clear to me now that the FBI, not the BOP, is the agency that
objects at each program review to my advancement into a tiny little
program that would allow me to be on the same range, inside the same
unit, with one or two inmates for only one hour...

In or around March 2011, a member of the ADX executive staff told me
that, from the BOP perspective, they have no problem approving me to
Phase 3 [a lower security level], and that everything they are told by
the FBI about my letters to my children are absolutely irrelevant to
prison management, but because they are not in control of the SAMs, the
ADX or the BOP cannot do a thing...

I asked the FBI agent about the requests to contact family relatives
that I had submitted over the past five or six years. She said to submit
four names to her, as the FBI office had now decided that it would only
approve four such requests. I asked her how long it would take for the
FBI to approve the requests, and she said two months. I submitted all of
the required information on the form they provided me, and resubmitted
this information with additional information on March 5, 2011.

I tried to question the FBI agent on her misinterpretation in her
report, but they wouldn't let me. I asked her about another FBI report I
had read, commenting on one of my letters in English to my son
encouraging him to respect, to love, to cherish the parents' bond with
their children, as a call to an illegal and criminal act. She said that
she didn't remember that. I pulled the report out of a small envelope I
had, but again Mr. Brieschke stopped me and said not to give her
anything, because this was not the time or place to discuss such things.
I was confused, and said they had told me I could ask questions...

I pray that the court will order a meaningful process for these
SAMs renewals and a program to follow to get the SAMs restrictions
removed from me and ultimately liberate me from the indefinite solitary
confinement of the ADX and into an open and less restrictive prison.