[Pnews] Call-in to Support Missouri Hunger-strikers

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 20 14:25:13 EST 2013

  Call-in to Support Missouri Hunger-strikers

November 20, 2013
*http://prisonbooks.info/2013/11/20/call-in-to-support-missouri-hunger-strikers/#more-3933*
<http://prisonbooks.info/tag/solitary-confinement/>

 From South Brooklyn Anarchist Black Cross
<http://sbrooklynabcf.wordpress.com/2013/11/20/call-in-mi-hunger-strike/#more-789>

From: Shyheim El-Mumin

I am a prisoner being held captive here in the state of Missouri at the
Potosi Correctional Center's Ad-Seg (Administrative Segregation, a form
of solitary confinement) unit. Since my arrival here on Aug. 9, 2012,
I've been a target for harassment. This is my fourth time here. This is
a maximum security prison, Level 5. This is the prison where they house
Missouri's death row prisoners. If I'm not mistaken, it is the only
place where death row prisoners are allowed in general population. That
alone says a lot about this prison.

We [the hunger-strikers] are asking that you all who are reading this
contact *Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon* and *Director George A. Lumbardi* at
*(573) 526-6607*, P.O. Box 236, Jefferson City, MO 65102,
http://www.doc.mo.gov; *Warden Troy Steele*, *(573) 438-6000*, 11593
State Hwy O, Mineral Point, MO 63660; as well as the ACLU in St. Louis,
Missouri, and ask for *John Chasenoff*, Civil Rights Division, ACLU
Eastern Missouri, 454 Whittier, St. Louis, MO 63108,* (314) 652-3111*.
PCC prisoners are in desperate need of assistance from any and all
outside organizations, politicians, agencies, state representatives,
officials, media, investigative agencies, etc. Please assist us to make
prison officials cease their transgressions and malicious violations of
our federally and state-protected rights and cease continuing
restrictions of confinement.

The prisoners here are very passive, docile and self-patrolled. Even in
the face of harsh racism, abuse and mistreatment, there are literally
only a handful of us who dare to challenge the conditions of our
confinement. Every time I've been to this prison, I always catch an
assault on one of these racist pigs. They are very in-your-face abusive.
I try to address my issues through the proper channels, i.e., letters to
the warden, grievances etc., to no avail! So I've often had to defend
myself physically.

Well, on Sept. 23, 2013, Col. Ross and a new officer -- first day on the
job -- tore my cell apart while I was in a shower. Ross has used "cell
searches" as a means to taunt and harass prisoners by confiscating
allowed items, tearing family photos and destroying legal materials.
He's very confident in his corrupt behavior due to the fact that his
immediate supervisor, Correctional Officer II Wilfong, supports such
reckless behavior. To make a long story short, I asked to see a
supervisor and was denied. I refused to give back the handcuffs. Once a
supervisor, COII Wilfong, arrived, I complied with the orders to be
cuffed to the bench. While I was on the bench, Col. Ross started using
foul, derogatory language towards me. This provoked me into a physical
altercation where I had to fight six officers. I held my own. Shit, I'm
only 150 pounds, 5 feet 9 inches, but they didn't want to see me head
on. Once I was taken down and cuffed -- I slipped my cuffs -- and leg
irons placed on me, I was beaten for like three minutes. I ended up with
a busted lip, nose, a bruise under my eye and a fractured rib, and I was
denied medical care from a nurse, Samantha Turntine, whose boyfriend was
one of the officers I fought. I was then stripped out and placed in an
air-conditioned cell naked for a week without any mattress, blankets
etc. I had to lie on concrete, enduring severe pain.

The conditions, transgressions and violations experienced on PCC Ad-Seg
offenders are continually worsening and becoming more restrictive. As a
result of this, about 15 prisoners decided to go on a hunger strike to
protest too much abuse, neglect, sanitation issues etc. We've been on
hunger strike since Oct. 13, going on a week as of this writing. We got
prisoners to sign a petition in support of our cause. The following
prisoners are the hunger strikers of Potosi. We strike in support of
brothers out there in California and across the nation held captive in
these SHU units and Ad-Seg units: Shyheim D. El-Mumin (509071), J.C.
Bryant (1161135), Dorrian Perry (1077683), Barry Baker (1094541), Hashim
Mohammad (1105506), James Poe (349575), Kyle Roberts (1173831), Anthony
Hughs (115096) and Garry Mays (1130204).

We sent a copy of the petition to these people [the targets of the
call-in campaign listed previously] as well as others. We're hoping to
get their attention through the media as well. We have little to no
grassroots movements advocating for prisoners' rights. We're hoping with
a little push from the outside that something can be done soon.
Prisoners have died in the past here at PCC attempting a hunger strike.
These corrupt officers will try to do everything they can to undermine
our strike. This is a peaceful demonstration. Several of us have chronic
care issues. I'm diabetic and I have not taken my medication in over a
week. I can't take it due to the fact I'm not eating. J.C. Bryant has
high blood pressure. Their hunger strike policy doesn't have a set
mandate that outlines the procedure when a patient who needs chronic
care needs goes on hunger strike. We're supposed to be placed in the
infirmary after 21 missed meals. We've missed that many or more, but
staff are neglecting to mark down meds missed. We appreciate your help.