[Pnews] California Hunger Strike: We’ve all come a long way to settle for less

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Nov 12 12:16:25 EST 2013

    Hunger striker: We’ve all come a long way to settle for less
    <http://sfbayview.com/2013/hunger-striker-weve-all-come-a-long-way-to-settle-for-less/>

November 11, 2013
*http://sfbayview.com/2013/hunger-striker-weve-all-come-a-long-way-to-settle-for-less/*

/*by Robbie Riva*/

First and foremost, our highest regards are extended to every single
person who stood in solidarity and sacrificed their health to be heard
during our third peaceful protest.

CDCR tried their hardest to deceive the public by defaming our peaceful
movement. They labeled us and attacked our character as a collective.

Our peaceful protests have nothing to do with furthering “gangs” or
“prison politics,” which CDCR loosely reported. They have ALL to do with
amplifying our voices to let the world know that the bodies this nation
holds captive in its isolation chambers are human beings too.

This system was built to break souls and deteriorate minds. Its
foundation was constructed of cold concrete and cold steel with the
objective to drain the life out of its trapped souls.

CDCR campaigns to the taxpayers by glamorizing their “tough on crime”
rhetoric when their main goal is actually to fatten their wallets.

      Our peaceful protests have nothing to do with furthering “gangs.”
      They have ALL to do with amplifying our voices to let the world
      know that the bodies this nation holds captive in its isolation
      chambers are human beings too.

Now that they’ve come under so much scrutiny, CDCR comes up with their
idea of a solution to their long-term segregation practice that’s titled
“SDP” – Step Down Program. This program only makes their grip tighter
and broadens their discretion on who’s coming and going in and out these
SHUs and ASUs [Security Housing Units and Administrative Segregations
Units, two types of solitary confinement – ed.]

This is not a solution. This is their way of controlling the population
within their high priced dungeons.

They’re very adamant about getting us to sign and participate in their
“SDP” as if they care. No, the reason they want our cooperation in this
program is so they can turn around and present the signatures of their
“SDP participants” to the legislators and other government bodies as
their Exhibit A, subtitled “Progress.”

We’ve all come a long way to settle for less and allow CDCR to use us as
their “exhibit.” Our families and loved ones have endured the struggles
and stress alongside us. And with a hoarse voice, they’re still making
sure to be heard. Our gratitude is undying.

“If they want to invade us and destroy the resistance, they will not
succeed … because as long as a single man or woman with honor remains,
there will be resistance.” – Fidel Castro

In solidarity,

/Robbie Riva/

/Send our brother some love and light: Robbie Riva, T-49359, CCI SHU
4B-1C-108, P.O. Box 1906, Tehachapi CA 93581./