[Ppnews] May 17 & 18 actions against torture & Guantanamo - NY, Chicago, London

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 16 13:28:02 EDT 2013

    *WITNESS AGAINST TORTURE*

    *MAY 17 in NYC & CHICAGO*

* New York City: May 17 and 18*

Join us on Friday, May 17^ at *5pm *at the Military Recruiting Center at
Times Square to do a mass sing along of the Hunger Strike Song.  We may
do the song again on May 18 in Union Square and Times Square. Stay
tuned!  For details, contact Luke Nephew <mailto:despierto11 at gmail.com>
or Jeremy Varon <mailto:jvaron at aol.com>.

*Chicago: May 17 in Federal Plaza*

Chicago folks will meet at Federal Plaza on May 17 at 4 P.M.
<https://www.facebook.com/events/592988150711229/> for a brief rally and
then hold a procession of people in orange jumpsuits and black hoods up
State Street to Daley Plaza where they will read poems from Guantanamo
prisoners and place the photos at the Eternal Flame.

For more information on vigils (or to let us know about a vigil you are
planning), contact witnesstorture at gmail.com
<mailto:witnesstorture at gmail.com>

*London Guantanamo Campaign*

On Saturday 18 May, at 2-4pm, we will hold a solidarity demonstration
outside the US Embassy, Grosvenor Square, London W1A.

The Justice Campaign is holding a peaceful vigil at the American
Consulate in Sydney, Level 59, MLC Centre19-29 Martin Place. We are
meeting on Friday at 2pm at the entrance to the MLC building.

    ======================

    *WITNESS AGAINST TORTURE ROLLING FAST*

*Give up food for a day* as part of Witness Against Torture's ROLLING
FAST
<http://witnesstorture.org/blog/2013/04/03/new-wat-rolling-fast-participation/>.
Over 200 people have participated by fasting for some period of time
since the Guantanamo Hunger Strike began.  Sign up for one day, or more.

======================

    *PHONE CALLS & LETTER WRITING*

We have generated over 500 calls since the Hunger Strike began.  We are
particularly focusing on calls to the U.S. Southern Command (where you
will be able to speak to a person), but ask folks to call all of the
numbers here: *Call* the *White House* (202-456-1111, 202-456-1414),
*U.S. Southern Command* (305-437-1213) and *Department of Defense*
(703-571-3343) to express concern over the hunger strike and insist on
Guantanamo's closing.

The Men in Guantanamo know of our efforts in response to their hunger
strike and indefinite detention. Download and send this letter
<http://witnesstorture.org/letter-writing-campaign/> to a man detained
in Guantánamo.

    *CONGRESSIONAL OUTREACH*

We have begun to reach out to members of Congress to push for movement
towards Guantanamo's closure.  Resources to use in your own lobbying
will be available soon.  Please call or e-mail your elected officials to
express concern over what is happening at Guantanamo, and highlight Sen.
Diane Feinstein's letter
<http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ContentRecord_id=2966b770-f7bb-42da-8dcb-4e8d584cde53>
urging the Obama Administration to transfer cleared Guantanamo prisoners.

======================

    *SAVE THE DATE / UPCOMING EVENTS*

May 17 will mark the Day 100 of the Guantanamo Hunger Strike.  We are
working in a coalition with many other groups and will be announcing
plans for May 17 / 18 very soon.  We are also working with Change.org
<http://change.org/> on a petition authored by Col. Morris Davis (former
chief prosecutor at Guantanamo) that we will be asking folks to sign and
circulate.

======================

    *WITNESS AGAINST TORTURE SOCIAL MEDIA*

Our Facebook page has been getting more and more traffic, and some weeks
has reached over 100,000 people.  This is only possible when people
like, share, and comment on posts.  Please '*like' us on Facebook:
**https://www.facebook.com/witnesstorture** & Follow Us on Twitter:
**https://twitter.com/witnesstorture*

*Post* any pictures of your local activities to
http://www.flickr.com/groups/witnesstorture/, and we will help spread
the word on http://witnesstorture.tumblr.com/

    *DONATE*

Witness Against Torture is completely volunteer driven and run.  We have
no paid staff, but do have expenses associated with our organizing
work.  If you are able, please donate here
<http://witnesstorture.org/store/>.