[Ppnews] Angela Davis and Lennox Hinds Denounce FBI’s Adding Assata Shakur to Terrorists List

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri May 3 16:02:37 EDT 2013

  http://www.democracynow.org/

Friday, May 3, 2013

  Angela Davis and Assata Shakur’s Lawyer Denounce FBI’s Adding of
  Exiled Activist to Terrorists List

One day after the exiled former Black Panther Assata Shakur became the
first woman named to the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorists list, we’re joined
by another legendary African-American activist, Angela Davis, as well as
Shakur’s longtime attorney, Lennox Hinds. Davis, a professor at the
University of California, Santa Cruz, is the subject of the recent film,
"Free Angela and All Political Prisoners." She argues that the FBI’s
latest move, much like its initial targeting of Shakur and other Black
Panthers four decades ago, is politically motivated. "It seems to me
that this act incorporates or reflects the very logic of terrorism,"
Davis says. "I can’t help but think that it’s designed to frighten
people who are involved in struggles today. Forty years ago seems like
it was a long time ago. In the beginning of the 21st century, we’re
still fighting around the very same issues — police violence,
healthcare, education, people in prison." A professor of criminal
justice at Rutgers University, Hinds has represented Shakur since 1973.
"This is a political act pushed by the state of New Jersey, by some
members of Congress from Miami, and with the intent of putting pressure
on the Cuban government and to inflame public opinion," Hinds says.
"There is no way to appeal someone being put on the terrorists list."

    Transcript

This is a rush transcript. Copy may not be in its final form.

*AMY GOODMAN:* "A Song for Assata" by Common. This is /Democracy Now!/,
democracynow.org, /The War and Peace Report/. I’m Amy Goodman, with Juan
González.

*JUAN GONZÁLEZ:* Well, we continue to look at the case of Assata Shakur,
legendary figure within both first the Black Panther Party and then the
Black Liberation Army. On Thursday she became the first woman ever to
make the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorists list. In addition, the FBI and the
state and New Jersey doubled the reward for her capture to $2 million.

*AMY GOODMAN:* To talk about her case, we are joined by two people. Here
in New York, Lennox Hinds, Assata Shakur’s longtime attorney, he has
represented her since 1973. He’s a professor of criminal justice at
Rutgers University. And in Chicago, we’re joined by the world-renowned
author, activist, scholar, Angela Davis, also a professor at University
of California, Santa Cruz. And she is the subject of a recent film,
/Free Angela and All Political Prisoners/. Angela Davis and Lennox Hinds
both wrote forewords to the book /Assata: An Autobiography/.

We invited the FBI to join us on today’s program, but they did not
respond to our request. about Assata Shakur.

I wanted to start with you, Lennox Hinds. The significance of Assata
Shakur being put on the FBI’s terrorists list, the first woman ever to
be added to the most wanted list?

*LENNOX HINDS:* My view on this is that this is a disingenuous act on
the part of—driven by the state of New Jersey and particularly the state
police. As you know, for decades, the state police have wanted and
demanded that the Cuban government extradite Assata Shakur to the United
States. There is no extradition policy between Cuba and the United
States. Just to deal with this in context, the Cuban government,
pursuant to international law—that is, particularly the refugee
convention—have granted Assata Shakur political asylum. Now, what is the
basis for that? It is if an individual has a well-grounded fear that if
they return to the country from which they left, they would either be
persecuted or prosecuted based upon their political beliefs or/and their
race or religion. Now, this is not a new concept. There have been
numerous individuals who have left the United States and went to foreign
countries, allies of the United States, where those countries have
refused to extradite them. France, for example, in the 1970s, there were
Black Panthers who hijacked planes and went to France. Now, both France
and the United States have extradition treaties. Not only that, France
signed the 1963 Tokyo Convention, the 1970 Hague Convention and the 1973
Montreal Convention, with the United States. All of these are
international agreements that require countries, host countries, that
are holding individuals—who have hijacked planes—to extradite them or
try them. France, after conducting their own independent review of these
Black Panthers, refused to extradite them to the United States based
upon France’s assessment that if they would be returned, they would be
subject to political and racial repression. So, I say that the Cubans’
position is well grounded in international law.

Now, why today is Assata Shakur now being branded a terrorist? If we
look at the definition of terrorism, what is it? It is the use or the
threat of use of force against a civilian population to achieve
political ends. What happened in the case of Assata Shakur? You have
heard, in her own words, this woman was a political activist. She was
targeted by whom? J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI in a program that was
called COINTELPRO. That program was unveiled by whom? Frank Church,
Senator Frank Church, in the 1970s. He chaired the Senate Intelligence
Committee. That committee determined that the FBI was using both legal,
but mostly illegal, methods—to do what? In the FBI’s own words, they
wanted to discredit, to stop the rise of a black messiah—that was the
fear of the FBI—so that there would not be a Mau Mau, in their words,
uprising in the United States. And they were, of course, referring to
the liberation movement that occurred in Kenya, Africa. Now, the FBI
carried out a campaign targeting not only the Black Panther Party. They
targeted SCLC. They targeted Martin Luther King. They targeted Harry
Belafonte. They targeted Eartha Kitt. They targeted anyone who supported
the struggle for civil rights, that they considered to be dangerous.

It is in that context we need to look at what happened on the New Jersey
Turnpike in 1973. What they call Joanne Chesimard, what we know as
Assata Shakur, she was targeted by the FBI, stopped. And the allegation
that she was a cold-blooded killer is not supported by any of the
forensic evidence. If we look at the trial, we’ll find that she was
victimized, she was shot. She was shot in the back. The bullet exited
and broke the clavicle in her shoulder. She could not raise a gun. She
could not raise her hand to shoot. And she was shot while her hands were
in the air. Now, that is the forensic evidence. There is not one
scintilla of evidence placing a gun in her hand. No arsenic residue was
found on her clothing or on her hands. So, the allegation by the state
police that she took an officer’s gun and shot him, executed him in cold
blood, is not only false, but it is designed to inflame.

*JUAN GONZÁLEZ:* But, Mr. Hinds, before we get into more of the details
of the case, this whole issue of 40 years later—

*LENNOX HINDS:* Yeah.

*JUAN GONZÁLEZ:* —suddenly branding her a terrorist and also insisting
that she is a threat to the United States government at this time, could
you talk about the significance—

*LENNOX HINDS:* Yes.

*JUAN GONZÁLEZ:* —of that declaration?

*LENNOX HINDS:* Well, I believe that we have to look at it in the
context of what has just happened in Boston. I think that with the
massacre that occurred there, the FBI and the state police are
attempting to inflame the public opinion to characterize her as a
terrorist, because the acts that she was convicted of has nothing to do
with terrorism. The acts that she was convicted of, if you look at the
evidence, she was convicted of aiding and abetting, and therefore was
present during the shootout. The FBI and the state police’s theory was
that Sundiata Acoli shot Officer Foerster. That was their theory during
his trial.

*JUAN GONZÁLEZ:* One of the people in the car with her, that—

*LENNOX HINDS:* One of the people in the car, yeah.

*AMY GOODMAN:* Well, let me read the FBI press release
<http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2013/may/joanne-chesimard-first-woman-named-most-wanted-terrorists-list/joanne-chesimard-first-woman-named-to-most-wanted-terrorists-list>,
and you can respond to how they describe it. And we want to bring Angela
Davis in, as well. This was their press release yesterday describing the
May 2nd, 1973, shooting. They said, "On May 2, 1973, Chesimard and a
pair of accomplices were stopped by two troopers for a motor vehicle
violation on the New Jersey Turnpike. At the time, Chesimard—a member of
the violent revolutionary activist organization known as the Black
Liberation Army—was wanted for her involvement in several felonies,
including bank robbery.

“Chesimard and her accomplices opened fire on the troopers. One officer
was wounded, and his partner—Trooper Foerster—was shot and killed at
point-blank range. One of Chesimard’s accomplices was killed in the
shoot-out and the other was arrested and remains in jail.

"Chesimard fled but was apprehended."

That’s their statement yesterday.

*LENNOX HINDS:* Right. Also in their statement that I read, the
superintendent of state police claimed that Assata Shakur took the
Officer Foerster’s weapon and shot him while he was on the ground. There
is not one scintilla of evidence at the trial attesting to that. In
fact, as I was saying before, she was incapable of lifting her hands,
much less firing a weapon.

Now, you asked what is the reason for this allegation at this time. We
have to remember that 10 years ago, a little over 10 years ago, the
then-governor of the state of New Jersey, former Governor Christie Todd
Whitman, she had issued and posted a $1 million bounty for Assata
Shakur. Today it has been doubled. But we believe that putting Ms.
Chesimard, putting Assata Shakur on the FBI’s 10 most wanted list is
designed to inflame the public and to characterize her as a terrorist,
when none of the acts alleged relates to terrorism. In fact, of all of
the charges that have been leveled against her in New York, case after
case, she was acquitted, or the charges were dismissed. There was
insufficient evidence to support any of the charges.

*AMY GOODMAN:* Well, let’s just—in 1971, armed robbery case was
dismissed; 1971, she was acquitted of bank robbery; 1972, hung jury;
1972, kidnap of drug dealer, acquitted; and then several other cases
dismissed. Angela Davis, you’re in Chicago right now to give a major
address tonight at the University of Chicago. Can you talk about this
news of Joanne Chesimard, Assata Shakur, being—now being put on the top
10 wanted terrorists list, the first woman ever to be put on this list?

*ANGELA DAVIS:* Well, first of all, it was a major shock to hear that
Assata Shakur has become the first woman to be added to the FBI’s Most
Wanted Terrorists list and then to learn that they’re adding another
million dollars to the reward, the bounty. Really, it seems to me that
this act incorporates or reflects the very logic of terrorism. I can’t
help but think that it’s designed to frighten people who are involved in
struggles today. Forty years ago seems as if it were a long time ago,
four decades; however, in the 21st century, at the beginning of the 21st
century, we’re still fighting around the very same issues—police
violence, healthcare, education, people in prison, and so forth. So I
see this as an attack not so much on Assata herself, although of course
she deserves to be brought home. She deserves to be able to live out her
life, and with justice and peace. It was wonderful that you allowed
people, through this program, to hear Assata’s words, because, 40 years
later, people really don’t know the details of the case and are not
aware of the extent to which she was targeted by the FBI by the COINTEL
Program, as Lennox pointed out. And it’s amazing that in 2013, where she
is living in Cuba as a political refugee, having given—having been given
political asylum by Cuba, she is still pursued. And actually, this is an
invitation for anyone to travel to Cuba illegally and to kidnap her and
bring her back to the United States, if not shoot her dead. This is—as I
said, was an extremely shocking revelation.

*JUAN GONZÁLEZ:* And, Angela Davis, the government statement that she
remains a threat to the United States, the implication being that she’s
somehow still trying to organize attacks on the country, it really is
mind-boggling. It’s one thing to say, "We have a case here of someone
who’s still wanted." It’s another thing to say that they’re still a
threat to the United States, when there’s been no indication over the
last 30, 40 years that Assata Shakur has been involved in any type of
movements or organizations directed against the United States government.

*ANGELA DAVIS:* Well, see, there’s always this slippage between what
should be protected free speech—that is to say, the advocacy of
revolution, the advocacy of radical change—and what the FBI represents
as terrorism. You know, certainly, Assata continues to advocate radical
transformation of this country, as many of us do. You know, I continue
to say that we need revolutionary change. This is why it seems to me
that the attack on her reflects the logic of terrorism, because it
precisely is designed to frighten young people, especially today, who
would be involved in the kind of radical activism that might lead to change.

But you’re absolutely right, Assata is not a threat. If anything, this
is a—this is a vendetta. She is innocent, and many of us have looked at
the evidence. And as Lennox pointed out, there’s no way that she could
have possibly been the person who killed Foerster, because she had her
hands up and was shot in the back with her hands in the air and could
not have used a gun at that time. And so, to represent her as a person
who continues to be a threat to the U.S. government in the way that is
described is, it seems to me, an effort to strike fear in the hearts of
young people who would be active in the struggles that are represented
historically by Assata and struggles that continue today. Struggles
against police violence, for example, continue. The fact—consider the
fact that so many people have been killed by the police in recent years.
And I’m thinking about Kimani Gray in New York. I’m thinking about Alan
Blueford in Oakland, of course Oscar Grant in Oakland. I’m thinking
about—there’s some 63 people who were killed last year in Chicago by the
Chicago police.

*AMY GOODMAN:* Lennox Hinds, this issue of what this allows the U.S.
government to do? To be on the Most Wanted Terrorists list, I mean, does
this mean the government could move in, like they moved in on Osama bin
Laden, for example? Could—

*LENNOX HINDS:* I think what Angela said was right on point. It is an
open invitation, not only with respect to the United States government,
but for anyone, in Cuba or elsewhere, to become a vigilante, to go there
and to not only apprehend and bring her back, or to kill her. So it’s an
open invitation. And, you know, when we—Cuba is accused of harboring
terrorists. And when we look at the role of the United States and the
United States government vis-à-vis Cuba, the United States government
and the CIA have encouraged, trained, sent individuals to not only
disrupt the Cuban economy by killing tourists, placing bombs in
restaurants and hotels, but to assassinate Fidel Castro, and individuals
who admitted that they were involved in the downing of a Cuban airliner
in 1973. I’m talking about Posada Carriles. Here was a man who made the
open admission, trained by the CIA, harbored by the United States. When
he was found in the United States, did the United States prosecute him
for those crimes? No. They, on a pretext, prosecuted him for lying to
the FBI, all right? and acquitted him of that.

*AMY GOODMAN:* I wanted to go back to Assata Shakur when she was here,
when she was imprisoned. This is a clip of a documentary, /Eyes [of] the
Rainbow: The Assata Shakur Documentary/. In this, Assata Shakur talks
about her experience in prison.

    *ASSATA SHAKUR:* Prisons are big business in the United States, and
    the building, running and supplying of prisons has become the
    fastest-growing industry in the country. Factories are moving into
    the prisons, and prisoners are forced to work for slave wages. This
    super-exploitation of human beings has meant the
    institutionalization of a new form of slavery. Those who cannot find
    work on the streets are forced to work in prison.

*AMY GOODMAN:* That was Assata Shakur in the film /Eyes [of] the
Rainbow: The Assata Shakur Documentary/. Lennox Hinds, you went to court
to change the prison conditions that Assata Shakur was in after she was
arrested. Describe what happened to her after she was arrested. I mean,
she was near death.

*LENNOX HINDS:* She was near death. She was chained to her hospital bed.
After she recovered, she was placed in an all-male prison. She was under
24-hour surveillance by male prison guards who were watching and
monitoring her very personal needs during that time period. We went into
federal court and challenged the conditions of her confinement, where
she was kept in solitary confinement for two years. We won that case.
And they—that is, the Middlesex County Correctional Department were
forced to place her in a women’s facility. But that was a horrible
situation amounting to torture.

*AMY GOODMAN:* Your case went to the Supreme Court, how you were treated
in the court?

*LENNOX HINDS:* Well, there’s the illusion—you know, I wrote a book
called /Illusions of Justice/. There is the illusion that we have
justice in the United States. I made the mistake of thinking that
lawyers enjoyed a First Amendment right, and I called a press
conference, and I criticized the trial judge at the trial and said that
the case was a legalized lynching. And before you know it, I was facing
disbarment. They attempted to disbar me by bringing charges against me.
And they asked me to come and explain myself. I refused. I sued the
judge. I sued the prosecutor. And I sued all of the members of the
Ethics Committee, forced them to come to my office. I took their
depositions. And the case went all the way up to the United States
Supreme Court. United States Supreme Court said, "Well, Hinds could not
have understood the seriousness of the charges; otherwise, he would not
have made that sort of statement." They sent the case back to New
Jersey. The New Jersey Supreme Court agreed and tossed it out.

*AMY GOODMAN:* You’re still a lawyer today, and you—

*LENNOX HINDS:* I’m still a lawyer today.

*AMY GOODMAN:* And you represented South African President Nelson Mandela?

*LENNOX HINDS:* That’s correct, yeah.

*JUAN GONZÁLEZ:* I wanted to ask you about the trial itself, the only
trial for which Assata Shakur has ever been convicted.

*LENNOX HINDS:* Convicted, that’s correct.

*JUAN GONZÁLEZ:* In New Jersey. You write in the preface, "It had been
and is my view that it was the racism in Middlesex County, fueled by
biased, inflammatory publicity in the local press before and throughout
the trial, fanned by the documented government lawlessness, that made it
possible for the white jury to convict Assata on the uncorroborated,
contradictory, and generally incredible testimony of trooper Harper, the
only other witness to the events on the turnpike." There was one other
state trooper, Harper, who survived the confrontation and who was the
main witness against Assata.

*LENNOX HINDS:* Yeah, but Harper ran away during the shootout, came
back, and his story was conflicted and contradictory. And—

*JUAN GONZÁLEZ:* He originally claimed that he had seen her pull out a gun.

*LENNOX HINDS:* That’s right, but there was no evidence to support that.

*JUAN GONZÁLEZ:* Right.

*LENNOX HINDS:* As I said, no fingerprints on any weapon. They claim
that she fired a weapon. There were no arsenic powder marks or residue
on her clothing or on her hands, etc. No forensic evidence.

*JUAN GONZÁLEZ:* And he later also admitted that the original reports
and testimony that he had given was wrong on that.

*LENNOX HINDS:* Was wrong, that’s right. That’s right.

*JUAN GONZÁLEZ:* And yet she was still convicted.

*LENNOX HINDS:* Yeah, she was convicted. And it was an all-white jury.
The pretrial publicity was such that people in Middlesex County and
people from the northern part of New Jersey believed then, and believe
now, that she is guilty. The mere fact that she was in the car meant
that she was guilty. And in fact, the instructions to the jury—because
there was no evidence of her doing any shooting, the instructions to the
jury was that if you find that she was present and supported the action
of the people who did the shooting, she can be found guilty as a
principal. And that is under the felony murder rule.

*AMY GOODMAN:* Now, Angela Davis, I wanted to go to your own case years
ago, because it’s coming up with a new film, your own history. I wanted
to play a trailer to the new documentary /Free Angela and All Political
Prisoners/.

    *REPORTER:* Philosophy Professor Angela Davis admitted that she is a
    member of the Communist Party.

    *UNIDENTIFIED MAN 1:* Hoover put her on the top 10. Everybody had a
    file on her.

    *UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN:* Her first lecture drew 2,000 students.

    *FANIA DAVIS:* Angela’s education is now being put into practice.

    *UNIDENTIFIED MAN 2:* Angela Davis purchased four guns.

    *ANGELA DAVIS:* There is a conspiracy in the land. It’s a conspiracy
    to wipe out the black community as a whole.

    *UNIDENTIFIED MAN 3:* Well, I think she’s trying to overthrow our
    system of government, and she admits that.

    *PRESIDENT RICHARD NIXON:* The actions of the FBI in apprehending
    Angela Davis, a rather remarkable story.

    *REPORTER:* The U.S. district court judge set bail at $100,000.

    *FANIA DAVIS:* She knows that the movement to free all political
    prisoners is growing every day.

    *GOV. RONALD REAGAN:* This entire incident was a deliberate provocation.

    *ANGELA DAVIS:* They wanted to break me. They wanted me to respond.

    *UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN 2:* There was enormous feeling for Angela
    everywhere in the world.

    *SALLYE DAVIS:* We know that she is innocent.

    *RALPH ABERNATHY:* We want to tell that pharaoh in Washington to let
    Angela Davis go free.

    *UNIDENTIFIED MAN 4:* What they’re doing to her is an exaggerated
    form of what happens every day to black people in this country.

    *PROTESTERS:* Free Angela! Free Angela! Free Angela!

    *ANGELA DAVIS:* What does it mean to be a criminal in this society?

    *UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN 3:* They are not going to kill her. They’re not
    going to imprison her. We’re going to free her. We’re going to win
    her freedom.

*AMY GOODMAN:* You’ve been listening to an excerpt of a trailer, /Free
Angela and All Political Prisoners/, that has just been finished, quite
an interesting film by Shola Lynch. Angela Davis, if you could share
your own experience that you went through? It was right about the same
time that Assata Shakur was going through what she was.

*ANGELA DAVIS:* Well, yes, it was. And I find it really interesting that
the FBI decided to focus quite specifically on black women, because
somehow they feared, it seems to me, that the movement would continue to
grow and develop, particularly with the leadership and the involvement
of black women. I was rendered a target, an ideological target, in the
same way that Assata Shakur was called the "mother hen" of the Black
Liberation Army. The way in which she was represented became an
invitation for racists and everyone who assented to the repressive
behavior of the U.S. government to focus very specifically on her, to
focus their hate, to focus vendettas on her. And I really find it
surprising that when the grandchildren of those who were active in the
late ’60s and early ’70s are becoming involved in similar movements
today, there is this effort to again terrorize young people by
representing such an important figure as Assata Shakur as a terrorist.

And let me say that I was quite surprised that in the aftermath of the
Boston Marathon bombing, where, before the Tsarnaev brothers were
discovered to be the alleged perpetrators, there was an attempt to
represent the person who planted the bombs as either a black man or a
dark-skin man with a hoodie, I believe—this racialization of what is
represented as terrorism is an attempt to bring the old-style racism
into conversation with modes of repression in the 21st century.

And there’s one other point that I would like to make. And that is that
at the same time that Assata Shakur is being designated the first woman
ever on the 10 Most Wanted Terrorists list, the Cuban Five, Cuban
citizens who attempted to prevent terrorist attacks on Cuba, continue to
be held in prison in the United States.

*JUAN GONZÁLEZ:* Lennox, I’d like to ask you about this whole issue of
the FBI and COINTELPRO that you mentioned earlier on the role that the
FBI has historically played in terms of persecution of black activists
and revolutionaries, beginning obviously with an incident that shaped
Assata Shakur’s thinking: the murder of Fred Hampton.

*LENNOX HINDS:* That’s correct.

*JUAN GONZÁLEZ:* And when you talk about people who—everyone who was
involved in an incident, there were many FBI and Chicago police folks
involved in the murder of Fred Hampton. Could you talk about that?

*LENNOX HINDS:* No question about it, no question. There were literally
hundreds of victims of the FBI COINTELPRO program. These are individuals
who were killed, assassinated. The instructions that were given by the
FBI to not only their field agents, but also to the local police, it was
essentially shoot on sight. And the case of Fred Hampton was a clear
case where the—again, the investigations that were conducted showed that
of the dozens of bullets that were fired, at least 40 bullets that were
fired, only one, if that many, were fired by the Panthers who were in
the house.

*AMY GOODMAN:* And then, of course, Fred Hampton was the head of the
Black Panther Party in Chicago.

*LENNOX HINDS:* Fred Hampton was in bed.

*AMY GOODMAN:* He in bed, he and Mark Clark killed on December 4th, 1969.

*LENNOX HINDS:* That’s right. They were killed. Fred Hampton was in bed,
and he was shot while lying in bed. And so, again, the victims of the
Counter Intelligence Program were individuals who were not only falsely
accused, falsely arrested, but many of them were assassinated.

*AMY GOODMAN:* Finally, you are Assata Shakur’s lawyer. Is there
anything you can do as a lawyer right now with her being named to the
terrorism list? Is there any way to appeal this?

*LENNOX HINDS:* No, there is no way to appeal someone being put on the
terrorists list. This is a political act, and this is an act that has
been done by—being pushed by the state of New Jersey by some members of
Congress from Miami, and with the intent of putting pressure on the
Cuban government and to inflame public opinion.

*AMY GOODMAN:* Well, I want to thank you both very much for being with
us. Lennox Hinds, Assata Shakur’s attorney, he’s represented her since
1973, professor of criminal justice at Rutgers University. He also
represented Nelson Mandela in the United States. And Angela Davis,
joining us from Chicago, author, professor and activist, a professor at
the University of California, Santa Cruz, joining us from Chicago.