[Ppnews] Jalil Muntaqim: Is There a Doctor in the House?

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed May 1 23:34:39 EDT 2013

April 25, 2013*

Is There A Doctor In The House?*

As some of you have heard, I have been having health/medical problems.
It has been going on for a while, but I have been holding it down like a
trooper, if you know what I mean!?

Well, it has been suggested that I give a full report of my condition.
So, here we go! I have been suffering from hypertension (high blood
pressure) for over a decade. I've been taking several types of
medication to keep it under control. However, the best remedy is release
from prison to lessen my stress.

In February 2011, I began experiencing shortness of breath when
exercising in the yard or climbing the stairs to the cell. Mind you, I
have been jogging 3-5 miles a couple of times a week, and/or playing
several games of hard basketball a week. So, experiencing shortness of
breath climbing stairs really put a damper on my exercise program.

On February 10, 2011, I had a 2-D & M-Mode/Doppler echocardiograph and
renal arterial duplex ultrasound. The ultrasound showed “Normal renal
arterial duplex ultrasound/.” /However, the echocardiograph showed: 1)
Intact left ventricular size and systolic function; 2) Mild left
ventricular diastolic dysfunction; 3) Mild tricuspid regurgitation with
normal estimated right ventricular systolic pressure. It has been
explained to me that my right ventricular valve is weak, and blood
pumping out of the heart regurgitates, meaning some of the blood seeps
back into the right ventrical of the heart. I have been told it is a
mild dysfunction.

Then, on January 3, 2013, after shoveling snow from the weight pile in
the yard, I returned to the cell and removed my winter clothes. All of a
sudden, my left arm*/ /*went numb, with tingling in my fingers. I was
unable to touch my thumb to the tips of my fingers. I immediately
informed the officer I felt like I was having a stroke, although I had
no other symptoms of a stroke. I was taken to the facility hospital in a
wheelchair, and the first doctor who examined me wanted to send me
immediately to an outside hospital. But he was countermanded by head
Doctor Rao. Doctor Rao ordered for me to have a CT Scan.

On April 8, 2013, I was finally taken to the outside hospital for the CT
Scan. When I returned, I was called to the facility hospital and Doctor
Rao made arrangements for me to be sent immediately back out to another
hospital to see a neurologist. However, that was cancelled, and I am now
waiting to see a neurologist. What alarmed Dr. Rao was the CT Scan
discovered I suffer “low density areas in the right basal ganglia and
head of the caudate nucleus on the right.” In other words, these areas
of the brain are not getting all of the blood flow they should, i.e.,
brain damage./ /

When I asked someone to google this condition, it was learned that I
should have had immediate medical attention when I reported the stroke 4
months ago. I do not know how long it will take for Albany approval to
permit me to see the neurologist, but it is obvious that delay does not
serve me well.

So, that is where I am at this juncture. Therefore, if there is a doctor
in the house, I would really like to gain their expert opinion on this
health situation. I believe it is fair to say I have little trust in
DOCCS providing me the proper medical care.

Furthermore, I will not be able to know the difference in quality of
care if I do not know what should be expected regarding healthcare.
Hence, if there is a doctor in the house, let me hear from you!

Yours in struggle,

Jalil

Anthony Jalil Bottom #77A4283
Attica Correctional Facility