[Ppnews] End 41 years of cruel and inhuman solitary confinement for Albert Woodfox of the "Angola 3".

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Mar 22 16:24:02 EDT 2013

End 41 years of cruel and inhuman solitary confinement for Albert
Woodfox of the "Angola 3

My name is Robert H. King. I was released on February 8, 2001 after
spending 31 years in prison - 29 of them in solitary confinement at the
infamous Louisiana State Prison also known as 'Angola'.

Confined there with me were Albert Woodfox and Herman Wallace, the other
two friends who make up 'the Angola 3'. Herman and Albert have now spent
41 years in prison. And though they are no longer housed at Angola, both
remain in solitary confinement at another prison - a punishment Amnesty
has described as 'cruel, inhuman and degrading'.

Call on the State of Louisiana to end Albert Woodfox's ordeal
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=evJUI7NMJjLYIbM6G&s=dnLKIKNqHeIFLNOrEoF&m=kjJ1KfPWJqJWJfJ>

Prior to and since my release from prison, I have continued to campaign
to free Herman and Albert. Last week, that campaign took a huge step
forward with the ruling by a federal district court that there was
racial discrimination in the selection of the jury foreperson prior to
Albert's re-trial in 1998.

Louisiana's Attorney General has already filed his intention to appeal
this against this ruling. But he can still do the right thing and end
four decades of injustice by letting the ruling stand, clearing the way
for Albert to be re-tried or simply walk free at last.

Call on Louisiana to allow Albert Woodfox to be retried or walk free
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=7eLGIMOkEcKKKRPFF&s=dnLKIKNqHeIFLNOrEoF&m=kjJ1KfPWJqJWJfJ>

I know what being locked up in that cramped, dark cell does to a man,
and I fear for my friend Albert whose physical and mental health is
failing. The sense of how cruelly and unjustly Albert and the rest of us
were treated still burns as strong as ever - as does my will to end
their ordeal.

This isn't the first or even the second time Albert's conviction has
been overturned. Previously judges have cited racial discrimination,
misconduct by the prosecution and inadequate defense in their rulings.
There is also troubling evidence that a key eyewitness against Albert
had been bribed, and no physical evidence linking him to the murder has
ever been found.

Call on Louisiana to allow Albert Woodfox to be retried or walk free
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=ahJMJVPwGfJQL1OSH&s=dnLKIKNqHeIFLNOrEoF&m=kjJ1KfPWJqJWJfJ>

However, I also know how many of you share my sense of injustice and
that we can count on your ongoing support. When I spoke to Albert last
week he asked me to pass on his gratitude to his 'legions of supporters'
across the world.

Wednesday, April 17 will mark the 41st anniversary of our incarceration
in Angola. Please help ensure that this year it is a day of hope - or
even freedom - for my friend, Albert Woodfox.

End Albert Woodfox's ordeal: email the Attorney General now
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=evKUK7NMIjIYJeN9F&s=dnLKIKNqHeIFLNOrEoF&m=kjJ1KfPWJqJWJfJ>
Power to the people!

As ever,

*Robert H. King*