[Ppnews] Fortresses of Solitude: Journalists Barred from Prison Isolation Units

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Mar 5 14:02:51 EST 2013

  Fortresses of Solitude: Journalists Barred from Prison Isolation Units

March 5, 2013 By James Ridgeway
<http://solitarywatch.com/author/jamesridgeway/>
http://solitarywatch.com/2013/03/05/fortresses-of-solitude-journalists-barred-from-prison-isolation-units/#more-7930

/The following essay
<http://www.cjr.org/cover_story/fortresses_of_solitude.php?page=1>by
Solitary Watch's James Ridgeway appears in the current issue of the
Columbia Journalism Review <http://www.cjr.org/magazine/>, which also
includes an excellent story
<http://www.cjr.org/cover_story/inside_stories.php>on the difficulties
involved in reporting on prisons in general. For more on prison media
policies, see our accompanying article <http://wp.me/p2HYoj-23N>by
Rachel M. Cohen./

Supermax prisons and solitary confinement units are our domestic black
sites---hidden places where human beings endure unspeakable punishments,
without benefit of due process in any court of law. On the say-so of
corrections officials, American prisoners can be placed in conditions of
extreme isolation and sensory deprivation for months, years, or even
decades.

At least 80,000 men, women, and children live in such conditions on any
given day in the United States. And they are not merely separated from
others for safety reasons. They are effectively buried alive. Most live
in concrete cells the size of an average parking space, often
windowless, cut off from all communication by solid steel doors. If they
are lucky, they will be allowed out for an hour a day to shower or to
exercise alone in cages resembling dog runs.

Most have never committed a violent act in prison. They are locked down
because they've been classified as "high risk," or because of nonviolent
misbehavior---anything from mouthing off or testing positive for
marijuana to exhibiting the symptoms of untreated mental illness.

A recent lawsuit filed on behalf of prisoners in adx, the federal
supermax in Florence, CO, described how humans respond to such isolation
over the long-term. Some "interminably wail, scream, and bang on the
walls of their cells" or carry on "delusional conversations with voices
they hear in their heads." Some "mutilate their bodies with razors,
shards of glass, sharpened chicken bones, and writing utensils" or
"swallow razor blades, nail clippers, parts of radios and televisions,
broken glass, and other dangerous objects." Still others "spread feces
and other human waste and body fluids throughout their cells [and] throw
it at the correctional staff." While less than 5 percent of US prisoners
nationwide are held in solitary, close to 50 percent of all prison
suicides take place there.

After three years of reporting on solitary confinement for Solitary
Watch, a website I co-founded, I'm convinced that much of what happens
in these places constitutes torture. How is it possible that a
human-rights crisis of this magnitude can carry on year after year, with
impunity?

I believe part of the answer has to do with how effectively the nature
of these sites have been hidden from the press and, by extension, the
public. With few exceptions, solitary confinement cells have been kept
firmly off-limits to journalists---with the approval of the federal
courts, who defer to corrections officials' purported need to maintain
"safety and security." If the First Amendment ever manages to make it
past the prison gates at all, it is stopped short at the door to the
isolation unit.

As a reporter, I ran into solitary confinement three years ago in
writing an article about Herman Wallace and Albert Woodfox, members of
the so-called Angola 3, who have lived in solitary confinement in
Louisiana since they were convicted of killing a prison guard in 1972.
After writing an initial article about the case, based on public
records, I sought permission to visit Angola and interview the two men.
I was told by a deputy warden that the prison wanted nothing to do with
me, because officials didn't like what I had written. The ACLU of
Louisiana took up my case, gathering evidence to show that while the
prison denied me entrance, it had welcomed many others, including press,
politicians, religious figures, schoolchildren, tourist buses, Hollywood
filmmakers, canoeists paddling past on the Mississippi, and such
notables as Miss Louisiana. Since Angola had such an open-door policy,
its discrimination against me was actionable. Warden Burl Cain backed
off and granted me what turned out to be the standard guided tour of the
plantation prison. It included numerous dormitories, chapels, and even
the death chamber---but not the solitary confinement units. Even the
ACLU couldn't help me penetrate those fortresses of solitude.

It would be the first of many times I was turned away from such units.
While reporting on solitary confinement in New York State, I was readily
shown around Auburn Correctional Facility by the affable warden there. I
saw all kinds of cells, yards, and workshops---everything but the
so-called Special Housing Unit (SHU) where prisoners are held in
solitary. These units, I was told, are never shown to the media. At
another New York prison, I managed to visit (under the watchful eye of a
guard) with a man who has been in solitary for nearly 25 years. Since
the Department of Corrections media policy forbids media visits to
prisoners in "segregation," I had to withhold the fact that I was a
reporter, and sign in as his "friend."

Once I launched Solitary Watch, I learned of a handful of other
reporters who were encountering the same restrictions---and working
around them and in spite of them. "I was never able to get inside" a SHU
in New York, Mary Beth Pfeiffer, a reporter for the /Poughkeepsie
Journal/, wrote in an email. "In 2001, after I began writing about links
between solitary confinement, mental illness, and suicide, they refused
even to let me into any of their prisons except through the visiting
room. Even there, I once had my notes seized by prison officials who
claimed note-taking was not permitted." Pfeiffer says she relied on
"official reports of conditions and suicides there, and the accounts of
former prisoners."

George Pawlaczyk and Beth Hundsdorfer of the /Belleville News-Democrat/
authored a series of articles called "Trapped in Tamms," about the
supermax prison in southern Illinois. The 2009 series, which won a
George Polk award, revealed horrendous treatment of mentally ill
prisoners and the cruel attitudes of the prison officials, including
doctors. Unable to secure a visit, Pawlaczyk says their reporting was
based largely on court documents, mostly depositions, and the surprise
finding that one Illinois county's mental health reports were filed and
open to the public.

Susan Greene, the former /Denver Post/ reporter who in 2012 wrote "The
Gray Box," a blistering report focusing on ADX, for the Dart Society,
says she couldn't even get close to the prison, which has been
completely off-limits to the press since 9/11. "I have had absolutely no
access to the place at all," she told me. When she pulled up in front of
the driveway to the remote prison complex, she was chased away by armed
guards. But in addition to public records, Greene based her reporting on
correspondence with prisoners in extreme isolation, carried on over more
than a year. Ironically, once her article was published, she could not
send it to her correspondents in ADX, due to a policy against allowing
prisoners' names in an article. "So I redacted all the prisoners'
names," she said, "and then it came back saying something like, 'You can
still see it if you hold it up to the light.' Out of frustration and
wanting to be a pain in the ass, I Exacto-knifed out all the names and
sent it, and it still didn't get through."

Shane Bauer, who wrote a 2012 expose about solitary confinement in
California for /Mother Jones/, also relied heavily on correspondence
with dozens of prisoners in Pelican Bay and other state SHUs who had
staged several highly publicized hunger strikes after years or decades
in isolation. Bauer spent more than two years in an Iranian prison after
being captured on the Iran-Iraq border, including four months in
isolation, and thus has the rare perspective of someone who has himself
experienced solitary. He also succeeded in gaining access to Pelican
Bay, though it was severely limited and carefully orchestrated. Bauer
says he was taken to a unit full of men who had cooperated with prison
officials by passing on information about prison gangs, "and was allowed
to interview one inmate while the gang investigator stood by." Visits to
the solitary cells were refused, as were interviews by the warden and
top corrections officials.

Lance Tapley began writing about solitary confinement for the Portland
/Phoenix/ seven years ago, when a supermax prisoner named Deane Brown
got in touch with him. Brown "wanted to expose to the outside world the
torture he was experiencing and seeing in the Maine State Prison's
Special Management Unit," Tapley wrote to me. Initially denied access to
SMU prisoners, Tapley was able to convince the governor's office to
intervene. Then he was allowed to interview several men "in hand and
foot shackles on the other side of a Plexiglas window." Those six
interviews and a leaked official videotape of a cell extraction, plus
interviews with the corrections commissioner, defense attorneys, and
others, formed the basis of his first supermax stories. Once those
stories were published, Tapley was banned from the prison. And like many
prisoners who talk to the press, Deane Brown faced retaliation: He was
shipped to a prison out of state.

Where journalists have succeeded, one way or another, in penetrating the
black sites, their reporting has undeniably had an impact. In Maine, it
helped spark a grassroots movement and a legislative initiative, which
eventually spurred the prison system to reduce its use of solitary
confinement. In New York, it became ammunition in a battle to keep
mentally ill prisoners out of solitary. And in Illinois, it provided
fuel for an effort that has convinced the governor to shut down Tamms
supermax prison.

The stories have been effective. But their scarcity also suggests that
the lack of press access to these sites around the nation has stifled
public debate on a significant issue of policy and human rights.
"Solitary confinement is a brutal form of prison punishment that has
claimed many lives and caused untold suffering," says Mary Beth
Pfieffer. "That is the story that officials do not want told." Until we
are allowed to tell it properly---until we can visit solitary units
ourselves, and speak unhindered with prisoners and corrections
officers---we cannot fulfill our duty to shine a light into society's
darkest corners.