[Ppnews] US steps up efforts to break Guantánamo hunger strike

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sun Jun 23 12:39:10 EDT 2013

  US steps up efforts to break Guantánamo hunger strike

Shaker Aamer, last British resident held in camp, tells of harsh regime
to break strikers' resistance

    *
      Mark Townsend <http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/marktownsend>,
      home affairs editor
    * The Observer <http://observer.guardian.co.uk>, Saturday 22 June
      2013 07.29 EDT

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/22/us-efforts-guantanamo-hunger-strike

Increasingly brutal tactics are being used in an attempt to break the
hunger strike by detainees at Guantánamo Bay
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/guantanamo-bay>, according to fresh
testimony from the last British resident still held in the camp.

Shaker Aamer
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/12/guantanamo-bay-doctors-ethics-force-feeding>
claims that the US authorities are systematically making the regime more
hardline to try to defuse the strike, which now involves almost
two-thirds of the detainees. Techniques include making cells "freezing
cold" to accentuate the discomfort of those on hunger strike and the
introduction of "metal-tipped" feeding tubes
<http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=feeding+tubes&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kIPEUZeFDqan0wWz9oCQDA&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=789&bih=1016>,
which Aamer said were forced into inmates' stomachs twice a day and
caused detainees to vomit over themselves.

The 46-year-old from London tells of one detainee who was admitted to
hospital 10 days ago after a nurse had pushed the tube into his lungs
rather than his stomach, causing him later to cough up blood. Aamer also
alleges that some nurses at Guantánamo Bay
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/guantanamo-bay>are refusing to wear
their name tags in order to prevent detainees registering abuse
complaints against staff.

Speaking last week from the camp in Cuba
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/cuba>, exactly four months after he
joined the hunger strike, Aamer said: "The administration is getting
ever more angry and doing everything they can to break our hunger
strike. Honestly, I wish I was dead."

The momentum behind efforts to release Aamer -- who has spent more than
11 years without trial inside the camp -- mounted sharply last week with
David Cameron raising the issue directly with the US president, Barack
Obama,
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/16/shaker-aamer-guantanamo-david-cameron>during
the G8 summit in Northern Ireland.

On Wednesday, in a response to a parliamentary question about what had
been discussed by the two leaders, Cameron revealed that his next step
would be to write to Obama about the "specifics of the case and
everything that we can do to expedite it". He added: "Clearly, President
Obama wants to make progress on this issue and we should help him in
every way that we can with respect to this individual."

The prime minister's comments are the most positive indication to date
that Aamer will eventually be freed -- he has been cleared for release
twice since 2007.

Clive Stafford Smith
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/clivestaffordsmith>, the director of
the legal charity Reprieve, who passed a transcript of his conversation
with Aamer to the /Observer/, said: "These gruesome new details show
just how bad things are in Guantánamo. The whole thing is at breaking
point. Clearly the US military is under enormous pressure and doing
everything it can to hurt the men and break the hunger strike."

Although the military initially denied that there was a hunger strike
inside Guantanámo,
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/12/guantanamo-bay-doctors-ethics-force-feeding>
it now concedes that, of the 166 detainees, 104 are on hunger strike and
44 are being force-fed.

Aamer also documents his declining health and how the camp's regime
deliberately inflates the weight of detainees on hunger strike. Aamer,
who has permission to live in the UK indefinitely because his wife is a
British national, said: "They said I was 160lb, but I was 154lb a few
days ago. Unless there has been a miracle, my weight has not gone up
without eating. But they cheat by adding shackles and sometimes even
pressing down as they do it to add to your weight.

"If you have a medical standard for when a detainee should be force-fed
for his own health, then force-feed him when it can still save his
health. Don't wait until his body is so harmed by the lack of food that
all you are protecting is the US military -- from the harm of a prisoner
dying for a principle."

Aamer describes his daily diet at Guantánamo as a cup of tea or two each
day with a low-calorie sweetener and occasionally an Ocean Spray powder
mix that has 10 calories -- enough to give an energy boost.