[Ppnews] Israeli court rejects appeal to free hunger striker

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jan 16 13:19:42 EST 2013

*Israeli court rejects appeal to free hunger striker*

Published today (updated) 16/01/2013 20:03

http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=556703

RAMALLAH (Ma'an) -- Israel's High Court on Wednesday rejected an appeal
to release hunger striking Palestinian prisoner Tariq Qaadan, who is
being held without charge or trial.

Qaadan, from Jenin, was sentenced to administrative detention by an
Israeli military court and has been on hunger strike for 50 days.

He told the court he will continue his strike until he is released: "I
dedicate this hunger strike to my sick child, and to my freedom. I have
been detained arbitrarily several months after I was released, so I will
not end hunger strike unless I secure my freedom."

Qaadan and fellow hunger strikers Jafar Azzidine and Yousef Yassin were
all detained on Nov. 22 and sentenced to administrative detention.

They are only drinking water and have refused medical treatment or tests
since Dec. 21, the prisoner rights group Addameer said Monday.

The Israeli prison service is denying them family visits and has
confiscated most of their belongings, according to Addameer.

  ********************************
Concern Mounts for Palestinian Hunger strikers
<http://www.addameer.org/etemplate.php?id=559>

15 January 2013http://www.addameer.org/images/empty.gif

http://www.addameer.org/einside.php?id=7

Ramallah, 14 January 2012 -- Addameer is deeply concerned for the lives
of four Palestinian hunger strikers as their health continues to
deteriorate. Addameer lawyer Fares Ziad recently visited three hunger
strikers Jafar Azzidine, Yousef Yassin and Tarek Qa'adan, who are all on
their 49th day of hunger strike. All three were arrested on 22 November
2012 and were placed in administrative detention, which is a procedure
that allows the Israeli military to hold detainees indefinitely on
'secret information' without charging them or allowing them to stand
trial. All three began their hunger strike on 28 November 2012 and are
only drinking water.