[Ppnews] After eleven years of Guantánamo, British resident remains imprisoned

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jan 11 10:51:07 EST 2013

*After eleven years of Guantánamo, British resident remains imprisoned*

Today marks eleven years since the first men were taken to Guantánamo
Bay. 166 men are still detained at the prison. The last British resident
is still held despite having been cleared for release.

Shaker Aamer, from Wandsworth, is the last remaining British resident in
the US prison. He has never been charged or tried, and published reports
show that he is one of 88 remaining prisoners long cleared for release
from the prison -- an arduous process requiring unanimous approval by no
less than six federal agencies.

Shaker's wife and four children are British and he has never met his
youngest son. The UK government have called for his release but to no avail.

Shaker was detained in November 2001. He was then sold for a bounty to
US forces, tortured in Bagram Air Force Base and Kandahar (with British
agents as witnesses), before being transferred to Guantánamo Bay in
February 2002. He has been held and abused there ever since.

There is currently an ongoing Met police investigation
<http://reprieve.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d176b31fc0ccbde9f3f3a6349&id=586b510ec6&e=f8755a10f3>
<http://reprieve.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d176b31fc0ccbde9f3f3a6349&id=5e6806d788&e=f8755a10f3>into
the torture of Shaker and other men at the prison, while Reprieve and
comedian Frankie Boyle recently announced
<http://reprieve.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d176b31fc0ccbde9f3f3a6349&id=4bae691bdb&e=f8755a10f3>
that Shaker intends to sue the intelligence services for defamation.

There are grave fears for Shaker's health as he is suffering from a list
of ailments, including arthritis and serious asthma problems. Recently
declassified documents describe in Shaker's own words how he has been
'ERF'd' -- subjected to regular, brutal beatings by the Emergency
Reaction Force -- throughout his lengthy imprisonment in Guantánamo Bay.
Shaker has said: "The ERF team grab me harshly, bend my arms and my head
and slam me to the floor. They shackle me and put me in the chair."

*Reprieve's Director, Clive Stafford Smith*, said: /"The //US gulag
Guantanamo Bay is //a disgrace where men are abused, and where any
notion of human rights or the rule of law is flagrantly disregarded.
//In the US films which purport to justify torture are being nominated
for awards, those who did the torturing enjoying immunity and the
courageous people who expose wrongdoing are prosecuted for violating
secrecy. Those who continue to be subjected to abuse and indefinite
detention are all but forgotten. I have seen Shaker very recently and
all he wants is to come home to his wife and four children who are
desperate to see him. The //UK// government must bring him home."/

*Comedian Frankie Boyle,* said: /"All Shaker wants is to come home.
While the rest of us go on enjoying our lives, he remains under lock and
key for no reason that anyone can fathom. It's disgraceful and
devastating to think that this has all been going on for eleven years.
It's time for the UK government to do what they keep saying they will,
and get Shaker back."/

ENDS

Notes to editors

1. For more information please contact Clemency Wells or Donald Campbell
in Reprieve's Press Office on +44 (0) 207 553 8140 or clemency [DOT]
wells [AT] reprieve [DOT] org [DOT] uk / donald [DOT] campbell [AT]
reprieve [DOT] org [DOT] uk .

2. For further information on Guantánamo Bay please see Reprieve's
website
<http://reprieve.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d176b31fc0ccbde9f3f3a6349&id=6781b11440&e=f8755a10f3> and
for information about Reprieve's Guantánamo clients:
http://www.reprieve.org.uk/guantanamo/
<http://reprieve.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d176b31fc0ccbde9f3f3a6349&id=c6e573e44c&e=f8755a10f3>

3. For further information on Shaker Aamer please see his case page on
Reprieve's website: http://www.reprieve.org.uk/cases/shakeraamer/
<http://reprieve.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d176b31fc0ccbde9f3f3a6349&id=b3a5531c83&e=f8755a10f3>

4. Reprieve, a legal action charity, uses the law to enforce the human
rights of prisoners, from death row to Guantánamo Bay. Reprieve
investigates, litigates and educates, working on the frontline, to
provide legal support to prisoners unable to pay for it themselves.
Reprieve promotes the rule of law around the world, securing each
person's right to a fair trial and saving lives.  Clive Stafford Smith
is the founder of Reprieve and has spent 25 years working on behalf of
people facing the death penalty in the USA.

Reprieve's current casework involves representing 15 prisoners in the US
prison at Guantánamo Bay, assisting over 70 prisoners facing the death
penalty around the world, and conducting ongoing investigations into the
rendition and the secret detention of 'ghost prisoners' in the so-called
'war on terror.' Follow Reprieve on twitter: @ReprieveUK; if you were
forwarded this release, sign up to join our press mailing list.