[Ppnews] Never Surrender: Kerry Cunneen subpoenaed to the NW grand jury

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jan 9 18:39:21 EST 2013

  Never Surrender: Kerry Cunneen subpoenaed to the NW grand jury

Posted on January 9, 2013
<http://nopoliticalrepression.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/never-surrender-kerry-cunneen-subpoenaed-to-the-nw-grand-jury/>

http://nopoliticalrepression.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/never-surrender-kerry-cunneen-subpoenaed-to-the-nw-grand-jury/

Portland anarchist Kerry Cunneen has announced their refusal to
cooperate with the grand jury investigating the May Day attack on the
Nakamura federal courthouse in Seattle. Kerry's subpoena, which was
delivered on December 14th, stated that they were required to appear
just 5 days later on the 19th. Their lawyer successfully got the date
pushed back until January 3rd, when Kerry declined to even enter the
grand jury room. Kerry has stated that they will never under any
circumstance cooperate with this or any state in persecuting themself or
others:

    I have been subpoenaed to the grand jury in Seattle investigating
    Anarchists in the Pacific Northwest. I was called to testify on
    January 3rd at 9am. I did not appear before the grand jury. I will
    not cooperate with this grand jury nor will I in any way aid the
    state in its efforts to imprison people.
    I stand firmly in solidarity with the actions taken against the
    Nakamura Federal court house during the May Day demonstration and
    all action taken against the state and capital towards the goal of a
    more liberated society.
    I am in solidarity with the May Day 5, with Maddy, Matt and Kteeo,
    and everyone else who has met repression with resilience. To all
    whose solidarity has come in some form of action, it is inspiring
    and must continue.

    never surrender,
    Kerry Cunneen

CAPR supports Kerry's bold refusal to even enter the grand jury room.
Although for some, resisting a grand jury may be a display of commitment
of civil liberties, free speech, or freedom of association, it can also
be a method to further the spread of insurrectionary tactics. To be
blunt, it is easier to break windows or act against the state in other
ways that are necessarily illegal when there is a culture against
snitching among anarchists. We oppose the state in its entirety -- we
are against its courts, its prisons, its judges, its prosecutors, and
every manifestation of the law and their justice. The Committee Against
Political Repression is encouraged by attacks against the existent,
including the May Day attack on the Nakamura federal courthouse.

The May Day anti-capitalist march in Seattle signaled a broad and
growing antagonism to hierarchy and domination, and the state's
heavy-handed response to it (three house raids in Portland, at least
nine grand jury subpoenas, and three people currently sitting in prison
for refusing to testify) signals just how dangerous the state perceived
it to be. As an anonymous author writes in /We Are Contagious: a gift to
those who desire social revolt
<http://pugetsoundanarchists.org/content/we-are-contagious-gift-those-who-desire-social-revolt-1>,/

    What was special about May Day wasn't the black bloc, impressive as
    it was in its coordination and preparation. What was special was
    that the hundreds of people clustered around the black bloc probably
    had a good idea of exactly what was going to happen when the
    anti-capitalist march left Westlake...and they liked it. They stayed
    close the bloc anyway; a few even joined in on the fun. Others
    screamed in joy. Some, who only months ago might have tried to
    prevent the property destruction or would have later denounced it,
    simply smiled to themselves and moved on down the road. Perhaps most
    importantly, a fair number of these people will return to the
    streets, better prepared to act themselves.

Broken windows are an easily replicable tactic that is capable of rapid
generalization. Although broken windows are certainly not the anarchist
end-goal (there is no single anarchist end-goal), the tactic of breaking
windows is a way for people to directly attack (and cause financial
damage to) institutions to which they are opposed, and build affinity in
the streets. The state logically must do whatever it can to control,
disrupt, recuperate, or liquidate that which presents a threat. While we
are angry about this grand jury (and all grand juries, and the existence
of the state, period), it also shows that anarchists have been doing
something right -- anarchists are posing a threat that can't be ignored.

We can respond to this and all instances of repression by strengthening
and escalating our projects of resistance. Kerry has stated that the
best support they could ask for is action of some sort that is in
resistance to state and capital. Indeed, that is the only way we'll come
through to the other side stronger than before.