[Ppnews] Updates from CAPR- Seattle GJ resisters back in solitary confinement

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jan 8 15:50:41 EST 2013

Dear CAPR Supporters-

We wanted to let you know about some notable events that have taken
place in the Pacific Northwest in the last couple of weeks. Below you
will find two things. One is a press release we sent out today and the
other is a letter from Kteeo about solitary confinement.

Of most importance for you to know is that all 3 grand jury resisters
are being held in solitary confinement as I write this.  We are urging
supporters to call Sea-Tac (206-870-5700) and demand an end to the use
of solitary confinement, and to call US Attorney Jenny Durkan
(800-797-6722) demanding an end to the grand jury investigation.

*********************************

*Repression Against Anarchists Intensifies*

Portland, Oregon – Two recent developments indicate an intensification
of the government's campaign against the anarchist movement in the
Pacific Northwest.

In late December, the three grand jury resisters being held at the
Sea-Tac Detention Center for their refusal to testify were moved into
solitary confinement. No explanation has been given for why they were
moved.

In a letter describing the situation, Kteeo wrote:

"Prison is incredibly fucked up even at the best of times, but that
doesn’t mean people can’t create community within these circumstances.
We do. When I was in my unit I was part of a community. I gave support
and received support. I learned from people and I taught. My unit
doesn’t have educational opportunities so we created our own. I taught
math, reading, and lead a workout group. I was part of something, part
of laughter and part of tears; part of a shared experience (not that any
of us want to be part of a this). I was a part of growth, part of a
community that comes together again and again as our units make up
changes. But I am no longer in that unit, no longer in that community."

The Committee Against Political Repression is calling for the
discontinuation of the use of solitary confinement for any purpose, and
for the immediate release of Matt Duran, Kteeo Olejnik, and Maddy Pfeifer.

In an unrelated case, in Portland, a young man accused of firebombing an
empty police car was released on bail, under the condition that he have
no contact with any anarchist organizations. He was specifically ordered
not to have contact with Resist the NW Grand Jury or the prisoner
support group Anarchist Black Cross, clearly indicating that prosecutors
want to prevent him from receiving legal, political, or personal support
that would aid in his defense.

These developments come after a year which has seen, in addition to the
grand jury hearings, SWAT raids against activists in Portland and
Seattle, a grotesque inflation of charges in a Portland case involving
small-scale vandalism, and indictments against five people accused of
participating in a Seattle May Day demonstration where government and
corporate property was attacked. Similar events have played out
simultaneously in the Bay Area, and elsewhere in the country, forming
what critics have called a Federal anti-anarchist witch hunt.

CAPR believes that the governments most recent actions confirm what we
have said all along: The state is using the legal system to target the
anarchist movement, in the process criminalizing a set of political
beliefs and associations. We decry the use of inquisitorial tactics such
as secret hearings, coerced testimony, guilt-by-association, and torture
in the form of solitary confinement.

CAPR is asking its supporters to call Sea-Tac (206-870-5700) and demand
an end to the use of solitary confinement, and to call US Attorney Jenny
Durkan (800-797-6722) demanding an end to the grand jury investigation.

************************************

*Kteeo's Letter from Solitary*

Hey Everybody,

First off, I want to thank all of you so much for all of the incredible
support being thrown my way. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

So here I am back in SHU (solitary) and I’m not sure why. It’s been four
days and I haven’t been told yet, but I’m sure I’ll know soon enough….
So now, not only have I been taken away from my community, my loved ones
on the outs, but now I have been taken away from the community on the
inside, my unit….

I want to be very clear: Prison is incredibly fucked up even at the best
of times, but that doesn’t mean people can’t create community within
these circumstances. We do.

When I was in my unit I was part of a community. I gave support and
received support. I learned from people and I taught. My unit doesn’t
have educational opportunities so we created our own. I taught math,
reading, and lead a workout group. I was part of something, part of
laughter and part of tears; part of a shared experience (not that any of
us want to be part of a this). I was a part of growth, part of a
community that comes together again and again as our units make up changes.

But I am no longer in that unit, no longer in that community.

So here I am back in the SHU.… my rec yard time is now very limited (the
yard isn’t actually outside, it’s fresh air and room to roam). I’ll be
real, the lack of space and fresh air is hard. The very little freedoms
(you know like, choosing when to take a shower…) are gone.

I think that the hardest part of this is that being in solitary (like
all parts of prison) doesn’t just affect the person in solitary, this
experience doesn’t just affect me. Being in the SHU you get one phone
call a month. One. 1. o-n-e. That affects people. Friends, families… I
know this is true for my own. It's a whole lot harder to ask my parents,
family, and friends to trust that I am OK when I can only call them once
a month. Prior to the SHU, I would call my parents once a day and a good
friend or two once a week…. I could let my loved ones know in real time
that I was ok.

Its not ok how much this affects others and I truly believe that is an
intentional part of punishment. The prison knows that it hurts us to
hurt our loved ones.

But it is not all bad. I’m figuring out ways to stay fit in my cell. I’m
learning so much about myself and getting really good at enjoying my own
company, and I’m getting more study time.

Oh yeah, everything is bright orange, like, everything! So, that’s
pretty rad; like the Destiny’s Child video for Say My Name….

Anywho, knowing this isn’t breaking me, knowing that I’m still laughing,
still smiling, makes me feel stronger than ever before.

Keep smiling, keep struggling.

In solidarity and gratitude,

Kteeo

P.S. I can totally get letters, but please continue to be patient with
me. Return time may be even longer. Postage has got to stretch a bit
further these days.

http://nopoliticalrepression.wordpress.com/