[Ppnews] Angola 3 - Judge Brady overturns Albert Woodfox's conviction for a third time!

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Feb 27 10:49:32 EST 2013

    Tuesday, February 26, 2013

http://angola3news.blogspot.com/2013/02/breaking-judge-brady-overturns-albert.html

*BREAKING: Judge Brady overturns Albert Woodfox's conviction for a third
time!*

Today, February 26, District Court Judge Brady released a 34-page ruling
that granted habeas to Albert on the issue of racial discrimination in
the selection of the grand jury foreperson for his 1998 retrial. This
decision now overturns Albert's conviction for a third time.

In the 34-page ruling, Judge Brady reviews the arguments of both sides
and concludes that Albert's team used the correct baseline for
comparison, and that using that baseline, the discrimination is
statistically significant no matter which tests are used. It was the
State's burden in these proceedings to prove that there was a race
neutral procedure in place for selecting forepersons. Judge Brady agreed
with Albert that the State failed to do this.

Just as when Judge Brady overturned Albert's conviction in 2008, the
State is now expected to appeal today's ruling to the 5th Circuit.
Therefore, nothing is certain except that the legal team and A3
supporters will not stop fighting until this ruling is affirmed by the
5th Circuit and Albert is finally a free man.

This is an important victory, thanks in no small part to the efforts of
our supporters!

As we learn more, we will post updates here, so please check back for
more information about Albert's case. For more background, this is our
report
<http://angola3news.blogspot.com/2012/05/report-from-albert-woodfoxs-evidentiary.html>
from the evidentiary hearing that preceded today's ruling.

/*(View/Download a PDF of Judge Brady's ruling here
<http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2013/02/26/18732834.php>.) */