[Ppnews] The “Vicious Cycles” Created by Solitary Confinement

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Feb 25 13:57:54 EST 2013

  The “Vicious Cycles” Created by Solitary Confinement

February 24, 2013 By Sal Rodriguez
<http://solitarywatch.com/author/sal2329/>
http://solitarywatch.com/2013/02/24/the-vicious-cycles-created-by-solitary-confinement/

In 1993, Dr. Stuart Grassian
<http://law.wustl.edu/journal/22/p325grassian.pdf>, following extensive
interviews with men in California’s Pelican Bay State Prison Security
Housing Unit (SHU), reported that extensive periods in solitary
confinement lead to what he referred to as a “syndrome” particular to
prison isolation units. Anxiety, ruminations, panic attacks, aggression,
paranoia, and psychotic symptoms were observed as a consequence of
prolonged solitary confinement. Prisoners already presenting problems
with impulsivity, aggression, and other problematic mental health and
behavioral problems may become far more aggravated in solitary
confinement. This contributes to what Dr. Craig Haney has referred to as
a vicious cycle in which emotionally troubled individuals placed in
solitary become more aggravated and cause more problems, leading to
longer or repeated terms in solitary confinement, and thus creates more
negative behaviors in the process.

Unsurprisngly, it has also been well-established that inmates in
solitary confinement have higher recidivism rates upon release from
incarceration
<http://www.vera.org/download?file=2845/Confronting_Confinement.pdf>. An
August 2012 report
<http://afsc.org/document/lifetime-lockdown-report>commissioned by the
American Friends Service Committee found that prisoners released from
Arizona supermax custody are emotionally and mentally harmed by the
experience of solitary. Further, the report found that supermax inmates
are  inadequately prepared for release, as they are prohibited from
educational and vocational opportunities and are limited in visitation
during their incarceration, which contribute to inmates being “deeply
traumatized and essentially socially disabled.”

Presented here are profiles of two prisoners, in Washington and Utah,
who have written to Solitary Watch about their experiences in isolation.
  Both report extended periods in solitary confinement, which they
report has had the effect of increasing their hostility against
authority and leading to increased feelings of anxiety, respectively.
They report receiving no constructive, rehabilitative programming, which
they argue only contributes to escalating problems as they neither learn
to “become productive” and are left at “rock bottom.”

*Washington State Penitentiary (Walla Walla, WA)*

C. is a self-described “45 year old revolutionary Chicano” from southern
California. Incarcerated since 1997 on second-degree assault and arson
charges, he is now serving a life sentence. He writes to Solitary
Watch during his 10th stint in Washington’s Intensive Management Unit.

Following an assault on other prisoners, he was sentenced to a two year
term in the solitary confinement unit. He is currently six months into
this term.

He spends 23 hours a day, five days a week in his 7×12 foot windowless
cell. For one hour he is allowed to exercise. On weekends, he spends his
entire time in his cell.

C. claims that his frequent placements in the IMU has contributed to an
increasing hostility against correctional officers. “You are not shown
how to assimilate or become productive. Just the opposite, so defiance
an refusal to submit have become the motivation.”

“Whenever I must leave this four walled entrapment, I have to do a full
strip search,” he writes,” get dressed, turn around to get handcuffed
through the cuffport, walk forward a few feet to kneel down while on a
tether, four guards then enter the cell to place leg restraints on me
with a sergeant present and then they all escort me to shower.”

Every day, he goes through the same procedure, “my personal property,
mattress and bedding are placed on a cart and taken down the hallway…to
be searched, to make sure that I have not made a weapon or instrument
that will harm any staff.”

Further, “a rolled up mattress has been placed up against the front of
the cell door so that DOC is assured that I cannot ‘fish’ in contraband
from others on the tier.”

His prolonged confinement in isolation, as well as perceived racism and
abuses on the part of the guards, has contributed, he says, to his
tendency to lash out against others.

He writes, “When people are pushed into a corner, tortured and given no
option of running away and no peaceful way to fight back…they will be
forced into a violent response.”

*Utah State Prison (Draper, Utah)*

R. has been incarcerated since he was 17 years old, convicted of
aggravated assault. Currently 22, he has spent over 4 1/2 years in Utah
State Prison, Draper’s control units, Uinta 1 and Uinta 2.

Classified as having a Kappa (“assertive and sometimes aggressive”)
personality, he spends most of his time in his cell. He is currently
held in the prisons gang management unit, Uinta 2. Most in Uinta 2 are
held two men to a cell, though many, like R., are not.

Like others in his unit, he is only allotted 1 hour and 15 minutes of
recreation time every other day. He reports no educational
opportunities, jobs, or programming.

“There is rarely interaction with anyone other than the 32 other inmates
in the section…socially people are limited and damaged,” he reports, “I
find myself feeling nervous even visiting my mom.”

His brief time in general population was marked by anxiety, “The time I
spent in pop I wasn’t used to interacting with people…I still felt
comfortable being in my cell.”

While in the control unit,  a family tragedy occurred, “I have had 5
family members pass in a car accident when the case worker pulled me out
he said he couldn’t even offer me a phone call…imagine being in a cell
48 hours at a time and the thoughts that could arise.”

Like many in isolation units, one of the only means of maintaining a
sense of control is by sticking to a rigid routine.

He reports that the stress and anxiety of close confinement have led him
to seek mental health assistance. Which, apparently, amounted to  “he
lady suggesting for me to basically live in a fantasy imagining things
throughout the day.”

He has had to find an alternative means of coping with his
confinement “meditation has helped me cope…to deal with being away from
family…I would recommend anybody in solitary to look into he meditation
and the Buddhist psychology,” he says.

“The goal of the system is to rehabilitate! How do you rehabilitate with
NO resources? Being locked in a cage, how do you better yourself and
prepare for release? Then they wonder why recidivism is so high, I was a
kid when I was locked up…I have nothing so I’m starting rock bottom.”