[Ppnews] Voices from Solitary: Disciplined Into Madness and Death

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Feb 18 11:43:52 EST 2013

  *Voices from Solitary: Disciplined Into Madness and Death
<http://solitarywatch.com/2013/02/18/voices-from-solitary-disciplined-into-madness-and-death/>*

http://solitarywatch.com/2013/02/18/voices-from-solitary-disciplined-into-madness-and-death/#more-7819
Feb 18th, 2013 @ 12:27 pm > Voices from Solitary

<http://solitarywatch.com/2013/02/18/voices-from-solitary-disciplined-into-madness-and-death/#respond>

/The following essay comes from Sara Rodrigues, a prisoner at Bedford
Hills Correctional Facility, a maximum-security prison for women in
Westchester, New York. When Sara was sent to prison at the age of
16, she found her friend D there as well. Both Sara and D had life-long
struggles with mental health, and while in prison, spent long periods of
time in solitary confinement (both Keeplock, which is lockdown in one's
own cell, and SHU, which is the Special Housing Unit). /

/Sara writes about the difficulty D faced when she was finally released
and put on parole, with no transitional assistance to move from prison
to the free world. She ultimately ended up back in prison and committed
suicide, shortly after giving birth to a baby girl. Sara Rodrigues wrote
this piece in the hope of spreading awareness of her situation and the
experience of many people around her. She writes, "Too many inmates in
New York State under the age of 25 are killing themselves in prisons
because they are literally being thrown away like garbage by the court
systems." (Thanks to Jennifer Parish of the Urban Justice Center for
forwarding this essay to Solitary Watch.) --Rachel M. Cohen/

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

This essay is dedicated to D and all those who have given their minds
and/or lives trying to pay their debt to society and to those who will
forever be haunted and scarred from our justice system. Once self-worth
and hope dies within our souls, what is left behind is a shell of life
that can see no future, no redemption and no chance for a normal life.
It is then that our minds realize how truly unwanted we are and how on a
daily basis we are reminded that society has no use for us. Day by day
life becomes very dark, some lose their minds, some will never be the
same, and some just give in and take their own lives.

Many people who are sentenced to prisons are very young and have serious
behavioral and mental health problems and this environment only makes
their sickness worse. This is D's story and how somehow out of the
tragedy of her passing has made me resolve to open people's eyes to the
greater damage that happens to everyone by throwing the very young,
mentally and emotionally ill into cages to rot under the pretense that
more punishment, isolation, and deprivation will make people change for
the better. This story has nothing to do with not doing your time, but
doing your time in a healthy corrective facility, not the factories of
misery that most of our prisons are today. D's death had such an impact
on me that she inspired me to keep fighting for my sanity, to try to
never give up, and to get the word out whether people care to hear the
truth or not.

In December 2008, I tripped and fell down the rabbit hole. Instead of
"Alice in Wonderland," I became Sara in Prisonland and I am still to do
this day trying to wake up from my nightmare. I was 16 years old
entering RCOD (reception) in a maximum-security prison, Bedford Hills.
My sentence was eight, years flat and 5-post release supervision, I was
scared and in definite culture shock, it was all so alien and
overwhelming. Later I learned D was there, to me D was my cousin, my
best friend, and a sister all rolled into one. We could talk about
anything, she helped me so much to get used to this crazy way to survive
my new life. We also argued a lot as young teenage girls often do, now
in hindsight I regret ever getting angry and wish I had been a better
friend.

Some months later, she was paroled and went home but it did not take
long and here she was again. Being so young when she went into prison,
the outside world was just too overwhelming for her. This and coupled
with the fact that there are no transitional programs for people leaving
prisons in the area we live in, which is Jefferson County, this leaves
all parolees pretty much on their own. Get out of prison, go report to
parole, go to Credo, (drug and alcohol counseling), go to mental health,
get a job, pay your rent, don't drive till we say you can, pay parole,
pay credo, be home at curfew. You give up because it is all to
stressful, can't get a decent job because you are just out of prison and
no one wants to hire you, zero job programs or training programs for
parolees. One can't even go to VESID (vocational training) until 6
months after you get out of prison and by then it is usually too late.

People need these services as soon as they come home and because of all
this lack of support, every parolee is set up for failure. So she just
gave in to all the temptation around her and started partying and having
a good time, and even though her mother begged parole to try to live in
a drug and alcohol program instead of sending her back to prison, they
didn't care and did what they do best. That is to not keep people out of
prison but to make sure they end up back in. Do the math, almost zero
services and supports for parolees in this country why is this and who
lets this happen?

By this time she came back to Bedford Hills, she was pregnant. D's time
in the prison system was not easy, she was an outsider even in prison,
she had a extensive disciplinary record which was making her mental
health issues worse, and she had a long history of suicidal behavior,
she had been hospitalized before incarceration and during. Making
matters worse, she was always in Keeplock or SHU and this did nothing to
help her problems. In coming back to prison, it was so much harder to
deal with than the time before and at that point, I believe she thought
nothing would ever change, she was in a cycle she could not get out of
and I think she was just getting soul tired.

D was a fun girl who could have done great things in life. She had a
good support system; she was creative, beautiful, funny, and smart. She
could do hair and nails like a professional, no matter what her issues
were she had many good attributes. Even though she did not have a lot,
she would give you the shirt off her back if you needed it. This girl
was not a nothing; she was a living, breathing, strong willed human
despite all of her troubles. To many others and me she was a much better
human than many who claim to be A-one citizens.

January 22, 2010 D gave birth to a beautiful healthy baby girl. She got
to spend some time with her until arrangements were made for her mom and
step dad to come pick the baby up. At this time D seemed to be doing
better and holding her own, then within a few months she went on the
draft to Albion Correctional Facility. This was the beginning of the
end, she hated being at that prison, she was scared of that place
because she was always in trouble and spent almost all of her time in
shu. It was not long before she had deteriorated so bad she was sent to
Marcy Psychiatric, she spent some time there and was shipped back to
Bedford. Two days later on June 17th 2010, D was dead; she was found
hanging in her cell while she was in keep lock because of three tickets
she received while still at Albion. It was two weeks before her 23rd
birthday.

Some thought she did it on accident because she didn't want to go back
to Albion and some thought she just had enough but it didn't matter she
was gone and me, I lost my mind, I was alone, grief stricken and sick.
This was just too much for my mind to grasp. I became angry with her,
God, and everyone around me. Every night I had horrible nightmares, I
would wake up screaming and crying hoping this was just another
nightmare, but it was real. Something went wrong, she should have never
been sent back to Bedford Hills because she was just not stable enough.
The fact that she was so desperate speaks volumes about how bleak she
thought her situation was. Her family was devastated, as was my family;
our worlds were in upheaval and pain.

In many ways, I can totally relate to the feeling of wanting to just
give up. Since I came to Albion, I have spent most of my time in the box
and I am so tired already. Having a medical condition, every time I go
to the box my skin gets horrible, my skin cracks and bleeds, rick now I
am so sick, I feel like death. After awhile I start talking to ants,
crickets or any other living thing or imaginary thing I can think of so
I do not totally lose what is left of my mind. My mother is convinced
that they throw people like us in the box so much because they want us
to go over the edge and kill ourselves. My mother documents everything
that happens to me and she tries so hard to make people aware of what
goes on. Right now, she is infuriated that I slipped up about a month
ago and tried to hang myself and now I am back in the box for months.
Mom says that we are not even allowed to treat animals that bad and keep
them locked in cages for months, why is it ok to do it to humans. So
yes, we do get tired and in a moment of disparity, I can see just ending
it all. I keep telling myself to hang in it won't last forever hopefully
I will listen to my own words and stay strong.

Although she died in prison, I believe the brunt of responsibility for
her death lies in the hands of the people who put her in there. Prisons
are not equipped or have the time or training to be able to deal with
people with mental and behavioral problems. They have been taught that
if they just keep disciplining with tickets, Keeplock and SHU,
eventually they will stop acting out. This is far from the truth and
that is why I believe that everybody I know with mental health or
behavioral issues that goes to Albion ends with way worse issues. They
are strictly about punishment whether you are guilty of your tickets or
not. To them you are just a trouble maker who must love being locked all
the time. They aren't educated to the bigger picture that people like D
and myself have always had problems even as small children. If we
understood why we are the way we are, and could be normal I know our
lives would not have been hard. There are many good decent officers here
at Albion, who are fair, try to understand and treat us with dignity and
to all of them I say thank you and don't ever stop having heart, but
there are others who well, the only way I can explain how I feel towards
them is to refer you to "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" the
dementors, the CO's of Azkaban prison who don't have a good happy
positive thought about anyone, they take all good feelings and thoughts
away, drain them of life, and take pleasure in watching you fail.

The powers that be, who send people like D and myself to prison full
well know that prisons are dangerous for people with mental, emotional,
and behavioral problems and worse than that, send children into adult
prisons just because they can. They don't care to help them get the help
they need, it is easier and cheaper to ship them to prisons. Too many
inmates in New York State under the age of 25 are killing themselves in
prisons because they are literally being thrown away like garbage by the
court systems. We need good transitional programs and job training for
those whose skills were not up to the training programs in prison and
good decent parole officers who talk to people like humans, really
support, and help parolees to keep from going back to prison. All these
things if they were in place may have saved D's life. D needed a decent
long term residential treatment and rehab program, that was equipped to
deal with her mental health issues, not to be thrown away into prison as
if she was disposable.

Although D's death was the most horrible time of my life, it was a
learning experience and surprisingly she inspired me to try to be the
best person I can be and I do try, and that is not an easy thing in
here. I learned not to depend on anyone but God and myself. Since her
death, I have realized how making fun of someone, teasing, embarrassing
or humiliating someone does hurt. We sometimes do not realize how mean
comments can hurt another. I have learned to try to never judge anyone
because you never know the circumstances of what they have had to endure
that may have made them become the way they are. A big thing I have
learned is that with just a little common kindness, it may save a life,
and just showing human concern and being there for someone makes a
difference and may have a positive impact on them.

In writing this essay, I felt that maybe others that have been in
similar situations could possibly relate and may reach out to help
someone who needs to be lifted. In choosing this topic I felt the way to
get the message to all inmates about the importance of sticking together
and helping other inmates instead of being mean to each other. I hope
this reaches at least a few hearts and helps them understand the impact
we all have on each other's lives. This situation is real and it happens
all the time inside and outside of prison. Try to remember you are not
alone and try to never give up on life no matter how bad you feel like
enough is enough. D left behind a family hat loved her very much and
misses her everyday. More than anything I learned life is so precious,
we take each other for granted never understanding that one moment
someone can be there and the next day they can be gone from our lives
forever. This had to be part of my healing process too; I had to tell
her story so she did not die in vain. It is so ironic that my most
notable surprising experience was with another inmate who taught me more
than she could have ever imagined. Unbelievably I feel her with me
sometimes holding me up when I feel like I just cannot do it anymore. No
matter how bad people make you feel about yourself, no matter what they
call you or how bad they try to degrade you, remember you are not
unworthy, that everyone has issues especially the ones who want you to
fail because that is the only way they have to feel good about themselves.

In closing, maybe this essay may shake some of the authorities, maybe
someone somewhere will have the courage to stand up and start changing
the system for the better. If you want people to pay their debts to
society, come out and be better people, you cannot keep beating a dead
horse with more and more punishment and shame. As we are all aware, many
know and see how counterproductive prison can be; now we just need for
someone with some common sense who has the power to take action because
most of us are really worth trying to save. Too many lives have been
lost or tossed aside in the name of paying for your crime.