[Ppnews] Israel jails brother of Palestinian hunger striker, two others

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Feb 18 10:28:03 EST 2013

  Israel jails brother of Palestinian hunger striker, two others

http://english.al-akhbar.com/print/15002

Published Sunday, February 17, 2013

Israeli forces arrested at least three Palestinians in the West Bank
overnight Sunday, including a brother of jailed hunger striker Samer
Issawi, local media reported.

Soldiers broke into the Issawi family home in the town of Issawiya
around 2:00am and dragged the residents outside before arresting
28-year-old Shadi Issawi, WAFA news agency cited the father, Tarek, as
saying.

He added that soldiers then raided the nearby homes of two of the
prisoner's other brothers, Firas and Medhat, without arresting them.
Soldiers also arrested their neighbor, 35-year-old Mahmoud Fayez Mahmoud.

In a separate incident, security sources told WAFA that forces detained
28-year-old Rizik Khalil in the town of Sourif, near Hebron, after
raiding his home.

The report provided no explanation for the arrests in Issawiya, but
activists say Israel has launched a campaign to intimidate the hunger
striker's family members after his case drew international attention.

Issawi, who is on day 209 without food, has served as a rallying point
for activists who oppose Israel's policy of administrative detention.
The policy allows Israel to hold prisoners without charges for six-month
periods that can be renewed indefinitely.

As punishment for the hunger strike, Israeli forces bulldozed the home
of another one of Issawi's brothers, Ahmad, in Issawiya on 1 January
2013. Soldiers had previously also arrested his sister Shireen.

On February 5 the prisoner announced he would stop drinking water, which
could cause his health to rapidly deteriorate.

Three other Palestinian prisoners are currently refusing food, including
Ayman Sharawneh, Jaafar Ezzedine, and Tarek Qa'adan.

Sharawneh's mother and brothers Jihad and Abdul Rahman meanwhile on
Sunday announced an open-ended hunger strike in solidarity with their
jailed relative, according to WAFA.

Israeli forces have suppressed the frequent demonstrations in solidarity
with the hunger strikers across the West Bank.

The arrests come as Issawi released a letter
<http://occupiedpalestine.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/palhunger-the-letter-of-samer-issawi-english-translation/>
[1] on Saturday thanking his supporters, and vowing to continue his
strike "until the end."

The letter was posted to the Facebook account of Issawi's sister,
Shireen, and translated into several languages.

Issawi wrote:

    My message is that I will continue until the end, until the last
    drop of water in my body, until martyrdom. Martyrdom is an honor for
    me in this battle. My martyrdom is my remaining bomb in the
    confrontation with the tyrants and the jailers, in the face of the
    racist policy of the occupation that humiliates our people and
    exercises against us all means of oppression and repression.
    My battle is not only for individual freedom. The battle waged by me
    and by my heroic colleagues, Tarek, Ayman and Jaafar, is everyone's
    battle, the battle of the Palestinian people against the occupation
    and its prisons. Our goal is to be free and sovereign in our
    liberated state and in our blessed Jerusalem.

Over 2,000 Palestinian prisoners ended a mass hunger strike in May 2012
to protest their administrative detentions after reaching a deal with
Israel.

Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have slammed the policy as
a violation of international humanitarian law.

/(Al-Akhbar)/