[Ppnews] Cornelius Harris Trial from the Perspective of the Jury Box - Hunger Strike Suspended After 38 Days

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Feb 15 10:47:46 EST 2013

    /Two Articles Follow/

    Friday, February 15, 2013

http://www.redbirdprisonabolition.org/2013/02/cornelius-harris-trial-from-perspective.html#more

*Cornelius Harris Trial from the Perspective of the Jury Box. *

<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5NVt8crDIfg/UR3K9Pszl2I/AAAAAAAAB1E/cs2AVfiR9Fk/s1600/soja2.jpg>
Patricia Vernucci was selected as an alternate juror for the trial of
super max prisoner Cornelius Harris
<http://www.redbirdprisonabolition.org/2013/02/super-max-prisoner-represents-himself.html>.
She watched the trial and wants to share her experience, in hopes that
the public will support Mr Harris and protect him.

Cornelius Harris represented himself and beat many of the charges
against him, while on a 38 day long hungerstrike. He was facing 9
charges, ranging from aggravated attempted murder to felonious assault
to possessing a weapon in a correctional facility.These charges stemmed
from incidents of violence between Harris and correctional officers that
occurred in 2009 and 2010.

During his opening statements Mr Harris informed the court that he had
not eaten anything since January fourth. He was on hunger strike
<http://www.redbirdprisonabolition.org/2013/01/osp-prisoner-on-hunger-strike.html>,
but was not allowed to explain his demands or his reason why. The trial
lasted three weeks, during which Mr Harris did not eat.

Mr Harris argued that these incidents were initiated or provoked by the
guards
<http://www.redbirdprisonabolition.org/2012/06/seeking-immediate-transfer-to-safer.html>,
that guards would stand outside his cell and threaten him for hours.
Harris argued that under those circumstances, when guards opened his
cell on false pretense he had reason to believe his life was in danger
and defended himself. The jury found Harris not guilty of attempted
murder charges and only convicted him of weapons possession and lesser
assault charges.

As an alternate, Patti watched the whole trial, but was not allowed to
discuss the case with other jurors and was kept out of the deliberation
room. What follows is a summary of Patti's thoughts and feelings from
this experience.

"I wasn't allowed to deliberate, so when the jury was in the
deliberation room for hours, and I was in a room by myself across the
hall, pacing and hoping that the other jurors saw the same things I saw.
When we went back into the courtroom to hear the verdict. When I heard
'not guilty' I was so relieved, but was trying hard to contain my
emotions. When we got out to the hallway, I broke down and started
crying. The other jurors asked me why, and I said, "that's how I would
have voted and I'm so happy you all felt the same way. This guy was
treated unfairly." Another juror told me "we all felt like you feel.
They tortured him and he had to defend himself."

Then Prosecutor Andrews came into the hallway. He was not happy with the
verdict. He said "I don't understand, what about the CO testimony?"
Another juror said "we didn't find them to be credible." Prosecutor
Andrews' response was very patronizing, "oh, and you found Harris to be
credible?" The juror replied: "at least he was consistent." I feel that
the only honest person who gave testimony was Mr Harris.

For example, they showed us a lot of video tapes, but we never saw the
tapes for the time leading up to these incidents. Mr Harris said the
officers would be standing at his door, calling him names and making
threats for hours. This is why he prepared to defend himself. The prison
administrators said they didn't have or couldn't find those tapes.

The prosecution also brought a woman investigator from the State Highway
Patrol to the stand. She testified that when she would enter the cell
block at OSP, if Mr Harris was in the exercise room he would take down
his pants and masturbate at her. When she said this, I looked at Mr
Harris, and he looked very surprised to hear it. Later, he asked her
about a time when she was interviewing him, alone together in a little
room, and if he did anything like that and she said no. He also asked if
there had been any discipline reports for that happening and there
hadn't. They would write him up for every little thing, but no reports
about that. It was so obviously a lie. Nobody seemed even remotely
credible. It seemed like they were just making stuff up as they went along.

They were also very patronizing and disrespectful to Mr Harris while he
was cross examining them. They would just respond to questions with: "I
don't understand, I can't understand you". As though Mr Harris wasn't
articulate our understandable. It was very disconcerting, because we all
understood. This was an all white jury, and we understood everything Mr
Harris said.

Nothing added up from the prison's side. Something wasn't right. I
walked away feeling that something is very very wrong at that prison.
Eventually, Mr Harris took the stand and testified on his own behalf.
His testimony started with describing pictures of his niece and his
mother who died when he was young that guards had tore up and flushed
down the toilet. While he was on the stand, delivering this testimony,
he was in an orange jumpsuit, and shackles, with two guards sitting on
either side of him. At least one of these guards was from OSP. Every
time Mr Harris would talk about things, this guard would make a face,
like he was snickering. As a juror, I was instructed not to show any
emotion, but hearing this story of torn up pictures and watching the
guards' faces, I had to put my head down, because I didn't want to show
my feelings, but I think all of us in the jury felt it so strongly.

I feel like they have tortured this guy, mental torture. In Mr Harris'
closing argument he admitted he was no angel, he said "I did stab
officer Wine, I did have three shanks, but I feared for my life, they
told me they were gonna kill me. Human instinct to preserve life takes
over." I thought he was credible, because he admitted to these things,
but because he admitted to them, the jury had to find him guilty of the
weapons charges and the assault charge. Nobody thought it was right for
Harris to stab the officer, but the prosecutor said "he could have
notified the authorities".  The thing is, he did. He did notify people
and nothing changed.

Mr Harris said he knows it's wrong to resort to violence, but when
treated this badly, there's some sense of a small victory when you
defend yourself. One small little victory. When the verdict was read, I
looked at Mr Harris and he was very still, but then he quietly said
"thank you" and his voice cracked. I hope this verdict also gave him a
sense of a small victory. Afterward, I talked to the other jurors and we
agreed that hopefully we gave him some sort of feeling as though someone
had finally heard him.

When I got home Friday night at 8 PM I was sort of riding a high, feels
like a victory. I was also very curious, because we weren't allowed to
look anything up about him during the trial, so I was wondering what had
happened, why they had targeted him, what the hunger strike was about
and everything. So I looked him up and found all this information, about
the hunger strike, about OSP and how things work there. I saw pictures
of him, obviously older pictures from before the hunger strike and I
could see how much weight he has lost, compared to what he looked like
in court room. I work in a hospital, and through the whole trial, Mr
Harris looked so weak. Every time he stood up was a struggle and his
mouth would always get dry. He looked like someone who needed to be on
an IV to get fluids. I immediately thought, "how can he defend himself
physically?" Laying in bed Friday night, I couldn't sleep, I was
worried. This small victory could make things worse for him. Did we
help, or hinder him? It makes me worried that they are going to find him
dead and say he killed himself.

That was another thing the guards said, they say he threatened to commit
suicide. Mr Harris asked the administrators, the deputy warden, "did you
ever hear me threaten that?" and they said no. He questioned them and
they said proper procedure is to immediately send suicidal prisoners to
mental health. He asked, "have you ever seen records of me going to
mental health because of suicide threats?" No. For at least one of these
incidents, the guards said the reason they opened his cell was to take
him to mental health, but there was no paper work.

Something has to happen. Mr Harris needs to get sent somewhere safer.
This man is not safe there. This experience has shaken me to my core.
I'm not normally the kind of person who sympathizes with criminals. I
know there are people who need to be there. My son is in jail, and I
think that's good, that he needs to be there, because he has a serious
substance abuse problem. We need to do something to make sure he is safe
from these guards.

----
After this interview, we heard that Mr Harris had been sentenced to 32
years for the charges that the jury "had to find him guilty of" and
Patti was again shocked. She immediately wondered aloud if the judge was
angry with their not-guilty verdict and gave Mr Harris a high sentence
as a response.

Mr Harris ended his hunger strike
<http://www.redbirdprisonabolition.org/2013/02/hunger-strike-suspended-after-38-days.html>
Monday afternoon. When I told Patti she was very relieved, because maybe
he'll be able to defend himself next time they attack him. She said she
is going to write Mr Harris, try and stay in touch with him, to make
sure the prison guards know people are paying attention to what's going
on with him, so they can't get away with doing whatever they want to him.

http://www.redbirdprisonabolition.org/2013/02/hunger-strike-suspended-after-38-days.html

Feb 15th, 2013, Youngstown Ohio-

      *Hunger Strike Suspended After 38 Days *

"I did break my hunger strike, with none of my issues satisfied" said
Cornelius Harris, in a message to supporters sent on Monday. He says he
"felt it was better to come off and do some ground work rather than risk
my overall health". Mr Harris had been on hunger strike since January
4th, making him the longest known hunger striker at Ohio's super max
prison, Ohio State Penitentiary (OSP).

While on hunger strike, Mr Harris also went to trial, defending himself
against criminal charges stemming from incidents of violence with OSP
correctional officers. He was facing 9 felony charges, including two
counts of aggravated attempted murder. He represented himself, arguing
that the fights were self-defense against guards who were systematically
harassing him and regularly threatening his life. A jury found him not
guilty of the most serious charges, but the judge sentenced him to 32
years for the remaining assault and weapons possession charges. The
maximum sentence Judge Maureen Sweeny could have given Mr Harris was 36
years.

According to Patricia Vernucci, the alternate juror in the trial, Mr
Harris was "the only honest person who gave testimony". She thought the
prison guards, administrators and investigators called to the stand by
the  prosecution were "very patronizing and disrespectful... it seemed
like they were just making stuff up as they went along."

Ms. Vernucci also says she was "shaken to the core" by what she heard in
the courtroom, "I walked away feeling that something is very very wrong
at that prison... this man is not safe there." Mr. Harris sites concern
for his safety as a factor in his decision to end the hunger strike: "in
this environment, physical health is very important, especially when you
are such a target as I am."

According to Mr Harris, harassment and attacks by guards continued
during the trial and hunger strike. On Sunday Jan 20th, guards attempted
to move him from the medical cell he had been placed in due to the
hunger strike to a substandard "R&D" cell. "According to policy a cell
must meet certain criteria to house someone and this R & D cell was
simply a holding cell and at the time it was flooded out and the sink
and toilet didn't work" Mr Harris reports. They intended to hold him in
the cell until Tuesday, because Monday was Martin Luther King day.
According to Mr Harris, "they put guys in this cell as punishment and
because I was taking this case to trial they wanted to punish me." Mr
Harris refused and resisted the transfer: "as I will always do when my
rights are being violated, I refused to go in that inhumane cell and the
warden authorized for an extraction team to gas me out and drag me to
the hole. I hadn't ate for two and a half weeks at the time, so I was
too weak to put up a fight, but it was principle, that's why I resisted."

Mr Harris' trial was interrupted for medical treatment in response to
his deteriorating health due to the hunger strike. The harassment and
threats continued at Franklin Medical Center. Judge Sweeny ordered Mr
Harris back to finish trial, against the FMC doctor's advice. More than
34 days without food can have serious medical consequences, like organ
failure. During his hunger strike, Mr Harris lost over 50 pounds and
experienced shooting pains in his legs and torso. He described it as
"the worst pain I have felt in my life."

When Mr Harris was returned to his cell at OSP after the trial, he found
that most of his personal property- 30 items worth over $300 were
missing. Monday morning, OSP Warden David Bobby met with Mr Harris and
said he would investigate and reimburse Mr Harris for what is lost.
According to Ms. Vernucci, hearing testimony about guards tearing up and
throwing Mr Harris' personal photographs in the toilet was one of the
most affecting parts of the trial. She also expressed concern for Mr
Harris' safety: "through the whole trial he looked so weak... how can he
defend himself physically?" She was relieved to hear that he had resumed
eating.

Ms. Vernucci's full statement and more information about Mr Harris can
be found online at RedBirdPrisonAbolition.org.

Mr Harris has spent 3 years on level 5 at OSP with no conduct reports.
The incidents discussed at trial occurred in 2009 and 2010. He was on
hunger strike demanding interaction with visitors and other prisoners,
so he could demonstrate an ability to be safely transferred out of OSP.
Prisoners on level 5 are held in 7 x 11 foot cells 23 hours a day and
are allowed no physical contact with visitors or other prisoners at any
time. In June of 2012, a group of death-sentenced prisoners who've been
on level 5 at OSP since it opened in 1998 were allowed the kind of
contact Mr Harris is demanding following a 9 day hunger strike one of
them undertook.

David Bobby, the Warden at OSP refused to make any public comments on
the conduct of his guards or on Mr Harris' trial and hunger strike.