[Ppnews] News from CA hunger strikers Mutope, Abdul and Zaharibu

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Aug 2 14:12:35 EDT 2013

We got a letter from Mutope Duguma (James Crawford), Sitawa's
(Dewberry's) cellmate, yesterday dated July 28, saying he's lost over 40
pounds "and getting smaller by the day" -- all fat gone, body eating
muscle now. "There are several who already fell out from effects of the
HS and we have some who have been placed in the hospital and the prison
specialty clinic. But there are many of us who will see this out to the
end. We are still strong. "They moved all of us on HS in the Short
Corridor to D2 Building, so my cell number is D2-104 lower," he says.

But would you believe, from his letter and the letter from Yafeu Iyapo-I
(Leonard Alexander) also dated July 28 that I quoted from earlier (with
that memorable line, "staff here finally regained a teaspoon of their
senses"), we learn that PBSP is dredging up the back papers -- they're
actually looking for the places they stashed them -- and distributing
them, so the guys have something to read. I don't know what prompted
that or how many people it affects; they think it's everybody. Mutope
says they're getting all their periodicals: Bay View, PHSS, Rock and
Prison Focus.

Abdul Shakur (James Harvey) writes in a postcard dated July 29: "I have
been moved to administrative segregation under the fraudulent allegation
that I am one of the reps. As you know, they moved 14 of the reps to
Administrative Segregation to further isolate them. The top brass
ordered that I also be placed in Administrative Segregation. I was
requested to attend two meetings, on July 2nd and the 24th, by the top
brass out of Sacramento. They know I was not a rep for the hunger
strikers and I made it clear I was not a rep, but after the July 24th
meeting with the top brass I was placed in further isolation along with
the 14 reps. But nothing changed, my sista. We are now on our 21st day
and maintaining our course."

A postcard came from Zaharibu (Michael Dorrough), Heshima's cellmate in
Corcoran, saying, "There has been retaliation within the Health Care
Department where policymakers have apparently decided to subordinate
what's in the best medical interest of prisoners to Custody." Unlike
Pelican Bay, Corcoran must be holding mail. The postcard is dated July
21 but not postmarked until July 30.

Everyone's writing reflects the strain the hunger strikers are under and
the increasing weakness, both in what they say and how they write it
down. I'm very familiar with their handwriting and writing style and can
see the effects of the struggle. Mutope says, "Let me say this next week
we will be having major complications from the HS."

--
Mary Ratcliff
SF Bay View