[Ppnews] ‘Americans don’t have good intelligence about almost anything’ – Guantanamo lawyer

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Apr 25 10:27:18 EDT 2013

  ‘Americans don’t have good intelligence about almost anything’ –
  Guantanamo lawyer

<http://rt.com/news/guantanamo-us-intelligence-lawyer-355/>
http://rt.com/news/guantanamo-us-intelligence-lawyer-355/
April 25, 2013 00:41

With Gitmo authorities saying only 92 detainees are taking part in the
hunger strike, lawyer Clive Stafford claims they know little about what
is really happening on the base, expressing concerns of "systematic
torture" and a high risk of inmate death.

Clive Stafford Smith, the well-known human rights lawyer, defending 15
Guantanamo prisoners, including the last remaining British resident
Shaker Aamer, told RT that /“for all the nonsense that the military puts
out about it, Guantanamo is worse than any death row.”/
/
“When prisoner doesn’t do exactly what they told, the six guns dressed
up as if they are in Darth Vader outfits come in and basically beat him
up,”/ Staffor said. /“If [Aamer] wants a bottle of water - they send
them, if he wants his medicines – they send them. Now he just doesn’t
ask for his medication because he doesn’t want them to beat him.”/*
*

*RT:* /When was the last time you spoke to Shaker Aamer?/

Clive Stafford Smith: I spoke to Shaker last week on a telephone. I got
a message from one of my other clients that he desperately needs to talk
again but they are not letting me meet Shaker until next week.

*RT:* /What did he say to you?/

*CSS:* We went on for an hour and it was basically mainly about the
hunger strike. But I think he was more down. He lost a lot more weight
in the days between that call and the one we had before. And he was
really concerned that he was fading.

*RT:* /It’s been more than two month now that the hunger strike has been
ongoing.  How is his health?/

*CSS:* His health was terrible before it started. What do you think if
you stop eating for two months? He feels horribly abused. The US
unfortunately is taking a very vindictive attitude. The colonel in
charge of the camp seems to have an absurd position on how you treat
people. The colonel said to one of my other clients ‘We know how to deal
with you because I’ve got children myself’. And Shaker’s response, which
I thought was quite humorous, was ‘If he is treating us as children we
need to send the social services around there to straighten them out ’.

*RT:* /Have you seen evidence of severe attitudes towards prisoners there?/

*CSS:* Well, Shaker is going through what they now call FCE – forcible
cell extraction, which is a euphemism that has gone through many
transitions for the last several years. They used to call it ERF – the
Emergency Reaction Force, but Shaker called it Extreme Repression Force.
What that is, is when a prisoner doesn’t do exactly what they told, the
six guns dressed up as if they are in Darth Vader outfits come in and
basically beat him up. They pin him to the floor. Shaker described
it like one 300-pound guy would sit on him and knee him in stomach. And
I’ve seen the bruises on him from this process. This is happening to him
all the time right now, because they have a process where anything he
asks for they won’t just give it to him but send an FCE team. If he
wants a bottle of water - they send them, if he wants his medicines –
they send them. Now he just doesn’t ask for his medication because he
doesn’t want them to beat him.

*RT:* /What’s the atmosphere in the detention camp?/

*CSS:* I spent my whole life representing people on death rows. I’ve
been to most of the death rows of the southern states of America.
Guantanamo, for all the nonsense that the military puts out about it, is
worse than any death row I’ve ever been to on two different levels.
First you’ve got the physical treatment of the prisoners. There is no
prison in the US, where you can beat a prisoner and not get sued until
next millennium. So it’s worse because no one controls the military. But
on the other level it’s far worse psychologically. The military got
upset when we called Guantanamo a gulag, because they don’t like the
echoes of the Soviet Union and the old days. To take that analogy a bit
further, which I think is totally fair, I don’t think that there was a
gulag in the Soviet Union where 52 percent of the prisoners had been
told that they were cleared for release but they couldn’t go. That sort
of torture is worse than anything. Shaker was told he was cleared in
2007 by Bush, 2009 by Obama and he is still there. And there is no
legitimate reason why he can’t come back to London tomorrow.

    ‘Shaker is one of the few extraordinarily embarrassing witnesses
    that remain’

*RT:* There is new information that’s come to light recently and the
Foreign Secretary William Hague wrote to you. Can you tell us what he said?

*CSS:* The new information that just came to light is the new
disinformation. The Foreign Secretary wrote to me saying that he’d been
told by the Americans that Shaker is only cleared to go to Saudi Arabia,
not to Britain. But that’s total drivel.  There is no other prisoner, I
know of 166 people in Guantanamo, who has only been cleared to go to one
place. Shaker has never been told he has only been cleared to go to one
place. He’s been given two notices neither of which says that. And there
is a reason for it.  And the reason is that they want to gag him. The US
wants him to go to Saudi Arabia on the promise that the Saudis will keep
him banged up forever, he won’t be able to talk to the media, he won’t
talk to anyone.

So certainly the US would like to keep Shaker quiet because of
everything he has seen and everything that’s happened to him. But I’m
very much afraid that it’s also the British intelligence services who
want to keep him quiet, because they know that Shaker is a witness
against them. Going down to Bagram airforce base in January 2002 the
British saw him and were legally complicit in his torture there. But
also Shaker saw Ibn al-Shaykh al-Libi being tortured and this is the
most embarrassing example America has ever had. So the last thing that
the British or Americans want to come out of the Guantanamo Bay is
Shaker Aamer, who can shed some lights on the torture that led to
catastrophic mistakes.

*RT:* What is it that Shaker Aamer knows that other detainees don’t?

*CSS:* I know it exactly because he told me. He was one of the first
five prisoners held by the Americans in Bagram and he was taken there
just before New Year 2001. Al-Libi had just been taken and the Americans
at the time thought that he was a big Al-Qaeda person, which he wasn’t
even a member of. The Americans were abusing him to try to get him to
make statements. Shaker was taken from the cage, where he was held, into
the room where al-Libi was being abused. He saw the people who were
there, he can identify some of those people. The British were present in
Bagram at that time. And he can tell you a whole lot about what was
going on in terms of Abuse of al-Libi. Now al-Libi can’t speak for
himself, because he was sent back to Libya, where he according to the
Libyans died or according to the other people was murdered. One
extraordinary embarrassing witness has disappeared and Shaker is one of
the few people that remain.

    ‘Americans aren’t treating these people as humans’

*RT:* /There have been hunger strikes before. Do you feel this time it’s
different?/

*CSS:* This time it’s different for two reasons. One is that there are
many more people on hunger strike and I think it gives Shaker hope
‘cause he feels that there is solidarity among the prisoners that he
hasn’t seen for a long time in that prison. There is another difference
and that’s the Americans’ response that was barbaric. That’s not having
the desired effect. The colonel in charge thinks that he can beat people
into submission.  But these are the guys who suffered for eleven years
and there is nothing that the colonel can throw at them that they
haven’t seen before. SO they cannot just put up with that. It could be
different in another way which is that people are going to die. And
that’s what I’m most concerned about. Not just Shaker. I’ve got 15
clients down there still. And I’m very concerned that more than one of
them could only get out of Guantanamo in a coffin.

*RT:* /Do you think there is a possibility of that?/

*CSS:* I think Shaker could die just because his physical ailments. He
has told me before that he’s slowly falling apart, slowly dying. He
wouldn’t have to go on hunger strike for me to worry about him because
the litany of his physical ailments is a page long, and he is not
getting proper treatment for any of them. So he and other people could
very well die, and people have died in Guantanamo. This hunger strike
makes it exponentially more likely, again, partly because the Americans
don’t know what’s going on. They think some of my guys aren’t on hunger
strike when I know they are. What really worries me is that they are not
taking steps about people’s physical well-being.

    ‘They couldn’t work out how old my client was in eight years of
    interrogations’

*RT:* /How is it possible that they don’t know some people are on hunger
strike when they actually are?/

*CSS:* That’s the same way that they think a 14 year old child was a big
time terrorist, a member of a London cell of Al-Qaeda when he’d never
been to Britain. That’s another of my clients. It’s because they just
don’t have good intelligence about almost anything. The guy’s name was
Mohamed Al-Garani, who I represented there. They couldn’t work out how
old he was in eight years of interrogations. That gives you some insight
on how limited their knowledge about everything is on that base. Just to
give you one example.

I know one of my clients is accepting liquid supplement not for himself
but for one of his mates, who is really, really ill. And he is forcing
this guy to take it because he doesn’t want him to die. The Americans
think my client is taking it but he isn’t. So there are so many things
that the Americans don’t know, and they won’t know because they aren’t
treating those people as humans. If they treated the prisoners with
respect the prisoners would treat them with respect.*

RT:* /What evidence have you seen yourself that people are actually
dying there?/

*CSS:* I’ve seen people’s physical status. I made Shaker strip off for
me so that I could see some of his physical ailments. I’ve done that
with other prisoners. I watched Shaker with a tube up his nose when he
was being force-fed and I watched him pull that tube out. And the US
general medic once said he’s going to make it less convenient to
prisoners by pulling that tube out every time they’re fed. You have a
115cm long tube that’s stuffed up your nose and pulled out after each
feeding. That’s just barbaric. It’s illegal for him in first place to
force-feed prisoners but to do it in that way just compounds the
problem. By doing it he’s just trying to force prisoners to give up the
hunger strike, but he is so wrong. What I’m afraid of is that the
military authorities don’t seem to understand that these guys have
suffered enough that they are just not going to take being abused into
submission again. I don’t want my clients to die. But when they do die
the authorities don’t listen to us.

<http://rt.com/news/guantanamo-bay-hunger-strike-399/>

*RT:* /Is there any way of resolving this combative mentality of the
guards and the detainees?/

*CSS:* There is no way to get around the confrontation between the
military and the prisoners unless the military is willing to be less
confrontational. You don’t run prisons by beating prisoners up. I’ve
dealt with prisons for my whole life. Any sensible warden tries to reach
accommodation, treat people like human beings and they make a response.
But as long as the US thinks they can abuse people…

*RT:* /Can you tell us about any evidence of the MI6 involvement?/

*CSS:* We have to recognize that taking any prisoner to Guantanamo was a
serious breach of the Geneva conventions on war crimes. So the British
should never have anything to do with Guantanamo Bay in the first place.
Did they? Of course they did. They were sending agents first to Bagram,
then to Kandahar and then to Guantanamo, where all the prisoners were
held. They were interrogating people there, which is illegal, they were
providing information, very often misinformation. All of this is a
criminal offense. If I had it my way they would end up facing the
international criminal court, but the British police don’t do it.