[Ppnews] Guantanamo Bay detainee petition triggers Parliamentary debate

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Apr 12 16:36:04 EDT 2013

  Guantanamo Bay detainee petition triggers Parliamentary debate

4:28pm Friday 12th April 2013
http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/local/wandsworthnews/10353061.Guantanamo_Bay_detainee_petition_triggers_Parliamentary_debate/

More than 100,000 people have now signed an official online petition
urging the Government to demand the immediate release of Shaker Aamer,
the last British detainee in Guantanamo Bay.

The mileston means issue has now become eligible to be listed for a
Parliamentary debate.

Mr Aamer, whose wife and four children are British nationals, is now in
the eleventh year of his detention despite being cleared for release by
the Bush administration in 2007 and the Obama administration in 2010.

He is among more than 160 prisoners currently on hunger strike in
protest at their ongoing detention and is reported to have lost 32lbs,
more than two stone, in the past two months.

Zinnira Aamer, Mr Aamer's wife, said: "My eyes are filled with tears as
I write this - but this time they are tears of joy.

"We are so relieved and overjoyed that the petition for Shaker Aamer has
reached its target of 100,000 signatures before its deadline.

"Shaker will be very pleased to know that we made it till here as it is
another step forward towards his freedom."

A statement from the couples' children read: "We couldn't have done it
without each and every one of you. Thanks to all 100,000 people who
signed and showed support regardless of race and religion.

"We wish you all happiness and let's hope that our Dad will be home soon
so we can be happy too."

Irene Nembhard of Birnberg Peirce and Partners, representing the family,
said: "Shaker's family hopes that a debate in the House of Commons will
galvanise the government into making the strongest demand for Shaker's
immediate release, including making an interstate complaint to the UN
Committee Against Torture.

"As a British family, they expect that their Government will do
everything possible to bring their husband and father home to them."

Comedian Frankie Boyle, who pledged £50,000 in support of legal action
for Mr Aamer, said: "It's great that this injustice can finally be
brought before parliament.

"Hopefully, this is the start of the process that sees him back at home,
with his family. He certainly has done nothing to deserve 11 years
without trial."

For further information contact info at saveshaker.org.