[Ppnews] Oscar Lopez Rivera statement to the American Studies Association in Puerto Rico

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Nov 22 13:46:15 EST 2012

The American Studies Association, a progressive educational
organization,  met last weekend in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Panels
included the participation of former Puerto Rican political prisoners
Rafael Cancel Miranda, Elizam Escobar, Lucy Rodriguez, and Luis Rosa.
Following is a statement written to the conference by Oscar Lopez Rivera:

For the American Studies Association conference

October 29, 2012

The U.S. government categorically denies it has political prisoners in
its gulags. It does it primarily to cover up the nefarious, barbaric and
even criminal acts and practices it carries out against us and other
regular prisoners, and to do it with impunity. It uses the denial as its
license to violate our most basic human rights by subjecting us to
isolation and sensory deprivation regimens that are nothing less than
cruel and unusual punishment. It uses it to hoodwink its own citizens to
believe that it doesn't criminalize dissenters or opponents of its wars
and other imperialistic practices. It does it to perpetuate the lie that
it's the ultimate defender of freedom, justice, democracy and human
rights in the world. And it uses it at times to further criminalize the
political prisoners and/or our families and to disconnect us from our
families, communities, supporters and the just and noble causes we
served and try to continue serving.

During the many years I've been in the gulags, I've met and shared
ideas, time and space with different political prisoners who struggle
for just and noble causes like the one I've chosen to serve. Some were
with me at USP Leavenworth, where we were labeled "notorious and
incorrigible criminals" and targeted by the FBI, jailers and
informants/provocateurs in their attempts to criminalize us further. In
my case the same evil forces even used my medical condition as fodder
for the escape conspiracy plot they hatched that added fifteen more
years to my sentence.

There were political prisoners with me at USP Marion, where we were
subjected to isolation and sensory deprivation regimens, and labeled
"predators, the worst of the worst," and even "animals" by Dr. Urban,
the head of the psychology department of USP Marion. Amnesty
International went as far as defining the barbaric conditions in that
gulag as a "legal crime." Sensory deprivation and isolation regimens
cause a plethora of mental illness/problems, including PTSD (Post
Traumatic Stress Disorder) --- the same mental disorder war veterans suffer.

And there were political prisoners with me in the gulag known as ADX
Florence. There some of us were subjected to a sleep deprivation regimen
that was pure and simple torture. I experienced it for 58 days and my
sleeping patterns were so badly damaged that I still have serious
problems sleeping. In these two gulags political prisoners were also the
targets of constant harassment such as cell searches, confiscation of
reading and art materials and placement in hot cells where there was
contraband in order to issue us infractions, send us to the hole, and
force us to start the "step-down" program all over again.

Since I have been in the gulags all of my communication has been
intercepted and monitored, including my legal mail. My family has been
persecuted and criminalized. Three days after I was sentenced my brother
José was fired from his job at Northeastern Illinois University, and
before that sent to prison for 11 months for refusing to testify before
a grand jury. My mother, at age 70, was made my co-conspirator. Anyone
who knew my mother knows she would rather have died than to engage in
any criminal activity. The FBI has even tried to destroy good community
programs that at one point and time I was associated with. The last 14
years I have spent in this gulag, Terre Haute. And the harassment has
not stopped. Several times my art materials have been confiscated or
lost, art work destroyed, family visits stopped, and I still have to
report to the jailers every two hours. In those 14 years, in spite of
all the provocations and harassment, the jailers haven't been able to
accuse me of committing any infractions. But that doesn't stop them from
doing what they've been doing to me for the past 31 years. And I'm
fairly certain the other political prisoners continue experiencing the
same treatment and conditions.

It could be argued that government's denial of our existence has worked.
But our wills and spirits are strong enough to continue resisting and
struggling.

En resistencia y lucha [in resistance and struggle],

Oscar López Rivera