[Ppnews] Update on Omaha Two - Mondo We Langa

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Nov 12 18:37:47 EST 2012

Update on Brother Mondo We Langa
Alumni member of the Black Panther Party incarcerated in the Nebraska
State Penitentiary.

/The Jericho Community helped express concern for our brother and made
it clear that people across the country are interested in Mondo and
co-defendant Ed Poindexter’s case and in their well-being. Thank YOU!
Your voices helped. Further correspondence with the prison
(diane.sabatka-rine at nebraska.gov
<mailto:diane.sabatka-rine at nebraska.gov>) should indicate that the
schedule changes and especially the inordinate number of hours in cells
with limited opportunities for circulation put undue stress on Mondo and
other senior prisoners complicating their health issues. /

/We continue to request that the senior prisoners be given an alternate
schedule and special attention to their health needs. The Warden’s
number is 402-479-3216 <tel:402-479-3216>. Her email is
diane.sabatka-rine at nebraska.gov <mailto:diane.sabatka-rine at nebraska.gov>./

The Nebraska Jericho met with Mondo We Langa (formerly David Rice) of
the Omaha Two on November 4^th , 2012. Mondo had been vesting the
infirmary for two weeks for breathing treatments. At that time Mondo was
too sick and weak to eat in the lunch hall. He was thinner than ever
certainly not over 100 lbs. Mondo related:

A lockdown began on August 2^nd as a result of fighting between some of
the younger guys. The administration put the entire prison system (the
Penn at Lincoln as well as at Tecumseh) on a modified schedule. Mondo
said that means 22 hours per day in the cells with time out only for
meals. After a couple of months another hour of out-of-cell time was for
day room or recreation. Mondo said he has had several attacks during
where he could not get his breath at all. He said that at times the
air-condition system did not work and mold grew in his unit. After
several trips to the infirmary he was diagnosed with COPD. He said the
extremely long lockdown of the prison has either caused or exacerbated
his problem breathing.

The next morning the Nebraska Jericho contacted the following persons:
Mondo’s local Attorney Tim Ashford who said he would go into the Prison;
Nebraska State Senator Chambers who has a long record of defending
prisoner’s rights at that institution; James Davis in the State
Ombudsman’s office. Davis agreed to go and see Mondo and try and
investigate and support Mondo’s request for an outside physician to
examine him. Anne Else who acts as a paralegal for Mondo’s long time
attorney Lennox Hinds helped create a list of persons who could call in
and check on Mondo.

Several members of the National Jericho Staff and other activists made
calls to the prison last week. These calls are much appreciated and the
Prison staff is aware of the concern for Mondo’s health. On Thursday,
November 8, Nebraska Jericho spoke again with the Prison Administration
and with public relations officer Win Barber, who wants email
communications describing our complaint about the lengthy lockdown and
the disproportionate impact upon the older prisoners. This may help to
create an alternate schedule for the more senior people and those who
are ill. .. We are now told that the situation at the prison is no
longer a lockdown but rather “Movement by Unit.” So that units are
allowed out in the yard one group at a time. We will follow up to find
out what the new conditions are for getting out of the cells…

We were able to speak with the prison physician Dr. Cole (402-479-5931
<tel:%28402-479-5931>). We learned that Mondo is still be treated for
problems breathing and that he will remain in the infirmary this time
until his condition improves and stabilizes. He also will take meals
there in order to regain his strength.

Dr. Cole said that Lennox had requested an outside physician, or second
opinion and the institution was awaiting the name of that person. We
spoke to Anne today and learned that the University of Nebraska Medical
Center or Creighton University Med. Center will likely supply the
physician.

To Learn More about the Omaha Two (Mondo and Ed’s Case) See:
http://omahatwo.wordpress.com <http://omahatwo.wordpress.com/>

or

FACEBOOK: *Political Prisoners in North America*

or

*The JerichoMovement.com*