[Ppnews] Seattle Grand jury resister Maddy Pfeiffer released on continuance

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Nov 8 11:53:33 EST 2012

    Grand jury resister Maddy Pfeiffer released on continuance, new date
    set for December 14
    <http://nopoliticalrepression.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/grand-jury-resister-maddy-pfeiffer-released-on-continuance-new-date-set-for-december-14/>

Posted on November 8, 2012
<http://nopoliticalrepression.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/grand-jury-resister-maddy-pfeiffer-released-on-continuance-new-date-set-for-december-14/>
http://nopoliticalrepression.wordpress.com/

Maddy Pfeiffer was released from the grand jury today on a continuance,
after refusing to cooperate -- their lawyer argued that the two weeks
between subpoena and grand jury date were not enough to prepare. Maddy's
next grand jury appearance will be December 14th.

Thanks to everyone who came out to the solidarity rally today. Remember
to keep writing letters to Matt and KteeO, who have been sitting in
prison since September 10 and September 28, respectively!

    Matthew "Maddy" Pfeiffer Will Resist the Grand Jury Today!
    <http://nopoliticalrepression.wordpress.com/2012/11/07/matthew-maddy-pfeiffer-will-resist-the-grand-jury-today/>

Posted on November 7, 2012
<http://nopoliticalrepression.wordpress.com/2012/11/07/matthew-maddy-pfeiffer-will-resist-the-grand-jury-today/>
| 1 Comment
<http://nopoliticalrepression.wordpress.com/2012/11/07/matthew-maddy-pfeiffer-will-resist-the-grand-jury-today/#comments>

Matthew "Maddy" Pfeiffer will appear before the grand jury that is
investigating anarchists today and says that they will not cooperate
with the investigation. In a previously released statement Maddy said,
"despite the urgings of lawyers, agents and judges, I only have one
option: non-cooperation. Any other option is unthinkable." Maddy's
statement is below.

Thousands of people called the US Attorney's office yesterday demanding
that the grand jury investigation be terminated. There will also be a
rally in solidarity with Maddy on the steps of the federal courthouse in
Seattle this morning.

Pfeiffer is the third person in Olympia to receive a subpoena to testify
before this grand jury. The investigation is allegedly about actions
that took place on May 1 in Seattle but court documents were briefly
unsealed revealing that the FBI was already surveilling anarchists in
Portland, Oregon previous to May 1.

Matt Duran and Katherine "Kteeo" Olejnik, both from Olympia, were also
subpoenaed and have subsequently been imprisoned for refusing to
cooperate with the grand jury investigation. They are still currently in
custody.

Pfeiffer's statement appears below:

On October 25th, the day before my 23rd birthday, two FBI agents wearing
ill-fitting khakis and too much gel in their hair, served me a subpoena
for 9am on November 7th. I knew my fate right away: 18 months in SeaTac
Federal Detention Center. Matt, Kteeo and Leah have all been imprisoned
for their refusal and I will be the next. Despite the urgings of
lawyers, agents and judges, I only have one option: non-cooperation. Any
other option is unthinkable.

I am being asked to testify before a Grand Jury on November 7th and will
likely be detained on that date for refusing to cooperate. The vultures
of the state will try to imprison my comrades and me until we give in.
We will never give in.

 From so many different perspectives, for so many reasons, snitching is
never an option. I will never betray the people I care about, the ideas
which I hold dear, or the commitments I have made. I will never give any
information about crimes, should I have any knowledge of them, nor will
I give information about my personal relationships. I will never
cooperate with this or any attempt to stop struggle. I will never
cooperate with the systems of control which I loathe. If the federal
government chooses to imprison me for my refusal, then so be it. I
expect no less from them.

The official reason the state gives for imprisoning those who refuse to
cooperate is to coerce testimony. If they know anything about me or my
friends, they know that this will never work. Some have said that this
Grand Jury is about trying to repress people's political opinions and
free speech. No doubt this is true. My subpoena states that I am being
asked to testify about events that took place on May 1st. The state is
trying to use broken windows as a reason to ruin people's lives. This is
absurd, and I will oppose it to the fullest. This life-ruining system
which they call "justice" is organized to defend property and
capitalism. This system is against everything I believe in.

My imminent imprisonment is an attempt to disrupt struggle against
domination in all its forms. What the vultures cannot understand is that
attempts to repress this struggle will only embolden it, whether we are
inside the walls of the Federal Detention Center or in the streets. The
growing list of solidarity actions, from St. Louis to France,
demonstrate an inspiring continuity in this regard.

In silence, we roar!
Matthew "Maddy" Pfeiffer