[Ppnews] New CA Grand Jury Subpoenas Activist

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 10 10:25:17 EDT 2012

Grand Juries as a Political Weapon

 From José Palafox in California

May 9, 2012
http://www.buildingliberty.us/grand-juries/palafox/

Folks, please read and repost, it's very important:

I HAVE BEEN SUBPOENAED BEFORE A GRAND JURY

On Friday May 4th, I was approached by two FBI
agents at the BART Station at 19th and Broadway
in Oakland. They asked my name, identified
themselves as Carrie and Matt from the FBI, and
served me a subpoena to testify before a federal
Grand Jury. They informed me that I had been
served and left without asking me any other questions.

 From the face of the Grand Jury Subpoena, it
appears related to an animal rights action that
took place in Santa Cruz in August of 2008. I
know nothing about the Santa Cruz action but
believe this is a political prosecution and part
of a government attempt to gather information on
activists, specifically involved in the animal rights movement.

I will be getting a lawyer and plan to exercise
my rights to the fullest extent. If anyone else
receives a similar subpoena or a visit from the
FBI, you can contact the National Lawyers Guild for advice on you rights.

This is the second time I have come into contact
with the FBI. A couple of years ago, I had to
deal with the Oakland Police Department regarding
a private criminal matter, unrelated to activism,
and without my knowledge was interviewed by an
FBI agent. He began to ask me questions about my
activism and political affiliations. I asked what
agency he was from and I immediately stopped
answering any questions. Probably unrelated but you never know.

I feel that it is important to let folks know
about this political repression and to let people
know that I will be needing support. However, the
lawyer I did briefly speak with advised me not to
answer any questions about the facts the case. I
can talk about what the government’s allegations
are and what is happening with court appearances
but I can’t answer questions about the facts so please don’t ask.

in solidarity, Jose Palafox, 5/9/12