[Ppnews] Pelican Bay SHU Short Corridor Collective’s Rejection of CDCR Proposal

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Mar 28 10:19:55 EDT 2012

Pelican Bay SHU Short Corridor Collective’s Rejection of CDCR Proposal

Pelican Bay Human Rights Movement

http://prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com/pelican-bay-shu-short-corridor-collectives-rejection-of-cdcr-proposal/

Preface:

The PBSP-SHU short corridor prisoner
representatives have read, carefully considered,
and hereby oppose the CDCR’s March 1, 2012, the
Security Threat Group Prevention, Identification
and Management Strategy proposal (hereinafter
proposal), based on the following reasons.
Additionally, we do hereby present our counter proposal (attached hereto).

One, Summary of issues

Beginning in May of 2-11, the PBSP-SHU short
corridor prisoners collective presented CDCR with
a ‘Formal Notice’ of intent to go on a peaceful
protest hunger strike beginning July 1, 2011, in
order to expose for force policy changes
regarding our subjection to 25 years of torturous
human rights abuse in California SHU and Ad Seg.
units. The Formal Notice included a list of “five
core demands” and a “Formal Complaint”
summarizing the facts and circumstances leading
up, and supporting the basis for putting our
lives on the line to stop the torture of our families and us.

During negotiations conducted in late July,
August, and October of 2011 top CDCD
administrators several times admitted, to
PBSP-SHU representatives and to our mediation
team, that the five core demands made by
prisoners were reasonable. The CDCR made repeated
assurances that the Five Core Demands would be
addressed via meaningful substantive changes,
responsive to the specific demands as soon as
possible. The five core demands are summarized
here for the purpose of clarity.[1]

1.     Eliminate group punishments. Instead,
practice individual accountability. When an
individual prisoner breaks a rule, the prison
often punishes a whole group of prisoners of the
same race. This policy has been applied to keep
prisoners in the SHU indefinitely and to make conditions increasingly harsh.

2. Abolish the debriefing policy and modify
active/inactive gang status criteria. Prisoners
are accused of being active or inactive
participants of prison gangs using false or
highly dubious evidence, and are then sent to
long-term isolation (SHU). They can escape these
tortuous conditions only if they “debrief,” that
is, provide information on gang activity.
Debriefing produces false information (wrongly
landing other prisoners in SHU, in an endless
cycle) and can endanger the lives of debriefing prisoners and their families.

3. Comply with the recommendations of the US
Commission on Safety and Abuse in Prisons (2006)
regarding an end to long-term solitary
confinement. This bipartisan commission
specifically recommended to “make segregation a
last resort” and “end conditions of isolation.”
Yet as of May 18, 2011, California kept 3,259
prisoners in SHUs and hundreds more in
Administrative Segregation waiting for a SHU cell
to open up. Some prisoners have been kept in
isolation for more than thirty years.

4. Provide adequate and nutritious food.
Prisoners report unsanitary conditions and small
quantities of food that do not conform to prison
regulations. There is no accountability or
independent quality control of meals.

5. Expand and provide constructive programs and
privileges for indefinite SHU inmates. The hunger
strikers are pressing for opportunities “to
engage in self-help treatment, education,
religious and other productive activities
”
Currently these opportunities are routinely
denied, even if the prisoners want to pay for
correspondence courses themselves. Examples of
privileges the prisoners want are: one phone call
per week, and permission to have sweat-suits and watch caps.

With respect to core demands #1,2,3,and 5, Policy
and Practice of basis for indefinite SHU
isolation averages(s) available for gaining one’s
release therefrom, and the progressively punitive
nature of SHU/Ad Seg conditions, it’s important
to remember, many SHU prisoners have been held
indefinitely, and subject to sensory deprivation,
and every other abuse imaginable, that occurs in
such hidden hell holes, for between ten to forty
years and counting, solely bases on what CDCR-OCS
refers to as their “intelligence system” i.e.,
debriefer allegations and innocent associational
activity without ever actually being charged and
found guilty of committing a criminal gang-related act.

Thus, the parties understood CDCR’s intelligence
system for indefinite SHU placement was one of
the major issues of concern to the class of SHU
prisoners and their families, subjected to such
long term isolation and abuse, without being
charged and found guilty of committing a criminal
act by credible evidence, and after the due
process such formal charges would require. The
parties all understood that major, meaning, and
fundamental, change away from the above
referenced “intelligence” based system
 to a
“behavioral” based system. A system defined as
one in which a prisoner who engaged in “criminal
gang activity” that is supported by “credible
evidence” will be subject to sanctions (Per CDCR,
Title 15, §§ 3312-3315, et seq., i.e., rule
violation reports, referral for prosecution,
determinate SHU term, and corresponding loss of
privileges—after receiving due process and being
found guilty of the criminal act alleged). On
March 9, 2012, CDCR issued a press statement and
presented their proposed gang management policy
changes (the Proposal) in response to our
peaceful protest activity and related five
de3mands and negotiation process referenced above.

Two. CDCR’s Proposal Is Not Acceptable

The PBSP-SHU short corridor prisoner reps have
read and carefully considered CDCR’s March 2112
proposal and we hereby summarize our opposition
to the proposal. This rejections is based upon
the CDCR’s failure to act in good faith, as
demonstrated by the mockery made of our
agreements (referenced in above section I),
including Secretary Cate’s delegation of the
policy change process to the Office of
Correctional Safety (OCS), who resorted to the
same twenty-five years plus fear tactics of
California prison gangs being the “worst of the
worst” in order to propagate, manipulate, and
promote their own underlying agenda, which is to
increase the power, staffing, and money of the
OCS office within CDCR. (See, e.g., Proposal,
P.5, at last paragraph; “the continuing evolution
of our existing intelligence network
”). It
should be noted that the OCS is the gang
intelligence/goon squad in charge of SSU/IGI
units within CDCR. This propagandist-manipulative
abuse of state power—includes the ongoing use of
long-term sensory deprivation, designed to coerce
prisoners to become state informants, while also
making a ton of money from such SHU/AD Seg torture units.

The Proposal seeks to manipulate the law makers
and the tax payers into allowing CDCR-OCS to
significantly expand on the use of these SHU/Ad
Seg units, via the creation of new criteria and
classes of what they term Security Threat Groups
(STG) involved in “criminal gang behavior” (See Proposal in general).

The CDCR-OCS is asking the law makers and tax
payers to allow them to continue to violate
thousands of prisoners human rights, including
the use of torture with impunity bases on false
propaganda scare tactics exemplified below.

The Proposal (and related CDCR press statement)
begins with propaganda claiming California prison
gangs are “the most sophisticated and violent in
the nation—connected to major criminal activity
in the community, and having influence on nearly
every prison system within the United States”
(Proposal pgs. 2,3,5 and Press Statement of March
9, 2012). They also claim their current torture
practices, those utilized for over 25 years,
“have been successful in reducing the impact of
sophisticated gang members have in CDCR
facilities”
 “by removing them from the general
prison population” (Proposal, p.2 at paragraph 2,
3). These are the same manipulative tactics used
by OCS for twenty-five years. They’ve gotten away
with it at a cost of hundreds of millions of tax
payers’ dollars, and with the destruction/severe
physical-psychological damage long term
subjection to torture units has caused thousands
of prisoners and their loved ones outside prison.
And all of this in the face of the facts and
evidence to prove CDCR-OCS
propaganda-manipulative statements are false. In
spite of being subject to 25 to 40 years of
extreme security surveillance by alleged gang
expert special agents the majority of the
prisoners classified a prison gang members have
never been charged or found guilty of any
criminal gang related acts! Moreover, a
statistical study of the CDCR’s practice during
the twenty-five year period prior to imposition
of the current policy of placing all prison gang
affiliates in SHU and comparing this data with
the current 25 year SHU policy will prove that
CDCR general population prisoners have been
significantly more violent and out of control
since the current policy has been in place.

CDCR-OCS are directly at fault for this 25-years
of madness that continues to take place in this
state’s general population facilities, including
staff manipulating prisoners against each other
to further the staff’s agenda (a lot of riots or
other violence is useful in supporting demands
for extra hazard pay, overtime, etc.).

CDCR-OCS’s gang management policy of the last 25
years is a one hundred percent failure, and their
march 2012 proposed changes are not acceptable
because they seek to increase the use of torture
units and do not change the many of dealing with
those classified as prison gang members at all,
which is a blatant violation of the parties
agreement(s) during the negotiation process last
year. This is shown by reference to the following examples:

     The Proposal wants to change the
classification of “prison gang member” into
“security threat group I” member (STG-1 member),
while continuing the current policy and practice
of keeping these alleged gang members in SHU
indefinitely, using the same alleged “evidence”
that’s been used for the past 25 years. The
Proposal specifies that “
 STG I members will
remain in SHU indefinitely, until they
successfully complete the debriefing process
 or
the ‘step-down program’ consisting of a minimum
of four years to complete all four steps.”
Notably, it states, “
STG-I members will remain
in SHU and will not be able to gain release to
the general prison population via step down
program based on IGI’s confirmation of
participation in criminal gang behavior.”
Confirmation requires “either (1) a guilty
finding in a serious rule violation report and/or
(2) any document that clearly describes the gang
behavior and is referred to the institution
I.G.I. for confirmation.” Number 2 is in
reference to “documentation” consisting of
statements from confidential inmate
informants/debriefers, staff’s alleged
observations, and other forms of innocent
associational type behavior (See Proposal, at
page 7, 17-25,3). This is the exact same process
CDCR-OCS has used and abused for 25 years. This
changes nothing for the prisoners classified as
prison gang members, which is a majority of those
in PBSP short corridor, most of whom have been in
SHU for between 10 and 40 years already—without
ever being formally charged and found guilty of a criminal gang act.
     The Proposal fails to make meaningful,
substantive changes responsive to core demands 1,
2, and 3, (and does so unsatisfactorily re: Core
Demand #5, e.gl. mockery of our request for
weekly phone calls, no contact visits for step 3
and four, etc., etc.). We see no point in having
four steps—each requiring a minimum of one year
to complete. And the vague wording regarding the
rest of the Proposal leaves much room for abuse
and manipulation—which CDCR-OCS staff have a long
history of doing. All of which makes CDCR-OCS proposal unacceptable.

Three, PBSP-SHU Short Corridor Prisoner Representatives

Based on CDCR’s lack of good faith in the process
of changing their illegal policies and practices
regarding the use and abuse of long-term
isolation/torture, and for the reasons briefly
summarized above, together with our belief that
the CDCR-OCS proposal is so blatantly out-of-step
with what was agreed during negotiations between
July through October of 2011, as to con statute
an intentional stall tactic designed to prolong
our subjection to those torturous conditions.

Therefore, we hereby respectfully present our
attached counter proposal—to be implemented without further delay.

Date: 3-19-2012

Respectfully Submitted by:

Sitawa Nantambu Jamaa – Dewberry C-35671

Arturo Castellanos – C-17275

Todd Ashker – C-58191

Antonio Guillen – P-81948

[1] This version of the Five Core Demands was
taken from
http://www.change.org/petitions/support-pelican-bay-shu-prisoners-five-core-demands-hunger-strike