[Ppnews] Starving for Freedom: Ahmad Sa'adat & Hunger Strike of Hana Shalabi

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Mar 15 10:36:38 EDT 2012

<http://www.freeahmadsaadat.org/6years.html>Starving for Freedom: Six
Years on the Abduction of Ahmad Sa'adat - One Month on the Hunger
Strike of Hana Shalabi

<http://www.freeahmadsaadat.org/>The Campaign to Free Ahmad Sa'adat

<href="http://www.freeahmadsaadat.org/">www.freeahmadsaadat.org +
<mailto:campaign at freeahmadsaadat.org>campaign at freeahmadsaadat.org
Twitter:<http://twitter.com/freeahmadsaadat>http://twitter.com/freeahmadsaadat

March 14-15, 2012 marks the sixth anniversary of the attack on
Jericho prison and the Israeli abduction of Palestinian national
leader Ahmad Sa'adat and his comrades, who had been held under U.S.
and British guard in a Palestinian Authority prison.

For the past three years, since March 18, 2009, Ahmad Sa'adat has
been in isolation in an Israeli occupation prison, subject to
solitary confinement, poor health care and intense repression.
Similarly, Ahed Abu Ghoulmeh, one of his comrades also abducted from
Jericho in 2006, has been in isolation for many months. The demand to
end the isolation of Ahmad Sa'adat - and his fellow prisoners in
solitary confinement - sparked
the<http://www.freeahmadsaadat.org/supporths0911.html>
September-October 2011 hunger strikes that swept through the
occupation's prisons.

As we mark this anniversary, a Palestinian prisoner's hunger strike
has once again captured the attention of the world, very soon after
the heroic 66-day hunger strike of
<http://samidoun.ca/2012/02/take-action-for-hunger-striking-palestinian-prisoner-khader-adnan/>Khader
Adnan. Hana al-Shalabi, released in the October 2011 prisoner
exchange, was re-abducted on February 16, 2012, and is held under
administrative detention without charge or trial. She has now been on
hunger strike for 28 days.

The Campaign to Free Ahmad Sa'adat echoes
the<http://mondoweiss.net/2012/03/a-message-from-hana-shalabis-family.html>
call of Hana al-Shalabi's parents for a day of action this Saturday, March 17:
"We call upon...all Palestinians to go to the streets and participate
in the support action planned on Saturday March 17 in solidarity with
our daughter Hana Al-Shalabi and all administrative detainees. We
will continue supporting our daughter's hunger strike and we want to
let our daughter Hana know: we are with you in your hunger strike
until you achieve your demand; your immediate release from the unjust
Israeli jails.

Your support to Hana is necessary to achieve Hana's immediate
release; it is also needed to support our daughter in her open hunger
strike which she has started on February 16, 2012.

Finally, we call upon all administrative detainees to join Hana's
hunger strike until you achieve your own immediate release and put an
end to the unjust Israeli policy of administrative detention which
violates human rights and International law."

Similarly, we join in the
<http://palestinianprisoners.org/palestinian-prisoners-day/>call for
people around the world to take action on April 17, Palestinian
Prisoners' Day, for Ahmad Sa'adat, Hana Shalabi, Ahed Abu Ghoulmeh,
Khader Adnan, and all of the nearly 5,000 Palestinian prisoners held
within the jails of the occupation:

"On Palestinian Prisoners' Day, Tuesday, April 17, we ask that all
supporters of the Palestinian political prisoners' movement bring
Khader Adnan's spirit of resistance to the doorsteps of his captors
and would-be killers...Let Khader Adnan's hunger strike mark the
beginning of a revitalized global movement for Palestinian prisoners,
their rights, their families, and their struggle. Together, we can make it so."

Ahmad Sa'adat, Ahed Abu Ghoulmeh, Khader Adnan and Hana al-Shalabi -
alongside their nearly 5,000 sisters and brothers - are paradigmatic
examples of the steadfastness of Palestinian prisoners. Despite the
abuse and isolation they have suffered, Palestinian prisoners - and
the Palestinian people as a whole - will continue to resist
occupation, racism, and settlement in order to obtain their rights to
freedom, self-determination and return.

On this, the sixth anniversary of the storming of Jericho prison and
the abduction of Ahmad Sa'adat, the Campaign to Free Ahmad Sa'adat
reiterates that it is long past time to end the dangerous and
damaging policy of Palestinian Authority security coordination with
the Israeli occupation. This policy is responsible for ongoing
political repression and for the imprisonment of Palestinians in both
PA and Israeli jails. It must be noted that Ahmad Sa'adat and his
comrades were abducted not from their homes but from the Palestinian
Authority jail that had held them - contrary to Palestinian law - for
over four years at the time of the military siege.

The policy of security coordination is the policy that kept Ahmad
Sa'adat, a Palestinian national leader, behind bars for four years
before the Israeli attack and abduction. It poses a deep danger to
the Palestinian cause, and represents the inverse of the unity and
national solidarity displayed overwhelmingly by Palestinian prisoners
standing together across all lines to confront occupation. It
endangers the accomplishments of the Palestinian revolution and
dishonors the struggles of the Palestinian people over its decades.

In addition, it must also be emphasized that United States and
British guards maintained the prisons that held Ahmad Sa'adat and his
comrades in Jericho, and that they were warned and exited the prison
in a coordinated fashion prior to the Israeli occupation attack -
when their presence there had been repeatedly, and falsely, justified
as "protection." The actions of the US and British guards and
monitors in Jericho prison are yet one more example of the active
complicity and responsibility for occupation by these states.
Further, we call upon international authorities, including the United
Nations and the International Committee of the Red Cross, to take up
their responsibility to address the ongoing suffering and abuse of
Palestinian political prisoners by occupation forces.

Six years after the abduction of Ahmad Sa'adat from Jericho prison,
the Palestinian people and Palestinian prisoners are steadfast as
ever, unbowed by repression, confronting the occupier from behind its
own bars. They are a living beacon of steadfastness and inspire our
struggle for the liberation of each prisoner - and the liberation of
all of Palestine, its land and its people.

Campaign to Free Ahmad Sa'adat

Take Action!

1. Picket, protest or call
<http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/About+the+Ministry/Diplomatic+missions/Web+Sites+of+Israeli+Missions+Abroad.htm>the
Israeli embassy or consulate in your location and demand the
immediate freedom of Ahmad Sa'adat, Hana al-Shalabi, and all
Palestinian political prisoners. Join in March 17 actions and events!

2. Distribute the <http://freeahmadsaadat.org/flyer-as.pdf>free
downloadable Campaign to Free Ahmad Sa'adat flyer in your community
at local events.

3. Write to the International Committee of the Red Cross and other
human rights organizations to exercise their responsibilities and act
swiftly to demand that prisoners' rights are recognized. Email the
ICRC, whose humanitarian mission includes monitoring the conditions
of prisoners, at
<mailto:JER_jerusalem at icrc.org>JER_jerusalem at icrc.org, and inform
them about the urgent situations of Hana Shalabi and Ahmad Sa'adat.
Make it clear that isolation is a human rights violation and a form
of torture, and that the ICRC must stand up and play its role to
defend prisoners' rights.

4. Email the Campaign to Free Ahmad Sa'adat at
<mailto:campaign at freeahmadsaadat.org>campaign at freeahmadsaadat.org
with announcements, reports and information about your local events,
activities and flyer distributions.

WHO IS AHMAD SA'ADAT?

Ahmad Sa'adat, the General Secretary of the Popular Front for the
Liberation of Palestine, was elected to his position in 2001
following the assassination of the previous General Secretary, Abu
Ali Mustafa, on August 27, 2001 by a U.S.-made Apache missile shot
from an Israeli military helicopter as he sat in his office in
Ramallah. PFLP fighters retaliated by assassinating Rehavam Ze'evi,
the racist extremist Israeli tourism minister and head of the Moledet
party, notorious for his political platform based on the "transfer"
or ethnic cleansing of Palestinians, on October 17, 2001.

Sa'adat was abducted by Palestinian Authority security forces after
engaging in a meeting with PA officials under false pretenses in
February 2002, and was held in the Muqata' PA presidential building
in Ramallah until April 2002, when in an agreement with Israel, the
U.S. and Britain, he and four of his comrades were held in the
Palestinian Authority's Jericho prison, under U.S. and British guard.

He remained in the PA jails, without trial or charge, an imprisonment
that was internationally condemned, until March 14, 2006, when the
prison itself was besieged by the occupation army and he and his
comrades were kidnapped. While imprisoned in the PA jail in Jericho,
he was elected to the Palestinian Legislative Council. Since that
time, he has been held in the prisons of the occupation and
continually refused to recognize the illegitimate military courts of
the Israeli occupation. He was sentenced to thirty years in prison on
December 25, 2008 solely for his political activity, and has spent
three years in isolation at the present time.

The Campaign to Free Ahmad Sa'adat

<http://www.freeahmadsaadat.org/>http://www.freeahmadsaadat.org/

<mailto:campaign at freeahmadsaadat.org>campaign at freeahmadsaadat.org

Twitter: <http://twitter.com/freeahmadsaadat>@FreeAhmadSaadat