[Ppnews] Support Hana al-Shalabi as her health declines 4 weeks into hunger strike in Israel jail

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Mar 14 11:49:55 EDT 2012

Call to Action: Support Hana al-Shalabi as her health declines 4
weeks into hunger strike in Israel jail

Submitted by Linah Alsaafin on Wed, 03/14/2012 - 13:54
http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/linah-alsaafin/call-action-support-hana-al-shalabi-her-health-declines-4-weeks-hunger-strike

The <http://www.palestinemonitor.org/?p=4336>parents of
hunger-striking political prisoner
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/hana-al-shalabi>Hana al-Shalabi
have issued a call to all Palestinians to
<https://www.facebook.com/events/323531991038163/>protest this
weekend in support of their daughter who is on her 28th continuous
day without food in protest at her detention without charge or trial by Israel:

"We call upon the Palestinian National Authority, the Palestinian
national factions, and all Palestinians to take to the streets on
Saturday, March 17 and to demonstrate in support of our daughter Hana
Shalabi and all administrative detainees.

Pressure on the Palestinian street is imperative in achieving Hana's
immediate release, as well as support for her open hunger strike
[that began on February 16, 2012]

We as Hana's family continue to support her hunger strike, and we
want to let our daughter know that we are with her in every step of
her hunger strike until she achieves her immediate release from the
Israeli occupation jails.

Finally, we call upon all administrative detainees to join Hana's
hunger strike until they achieve their own release and to put an end
to the unjust Israeli policy of adminstrative detention, which
violates human rights and international law."

Sharply deteriorating health

Yesterday
<http://www.phr.org.il/default.asp?PageID=116&ItemID=1429>Physicians
for Human Rights-Israel (PHRI) visited Hana and reported that her
health had deteriorated significantly.

"The second doctor's second examination on 12 March indicated an
additional deterioration in Ms. Shalabi's condition, shown mainly in
advanced muscle atrophy and wasting, additional weight loss, a
significant reduction in blood sugar, severe dizziness and severe
muscle pain, especially in her chest and back."

Hana was violently re-arrested by Israel on February 16th after her
release in the first half of the Hamas-Israel prisoner deal in
October. She had spent 25 months on administrative detention, without
ever being informed of the reason of her detainment and with no
charges brought against her. Her hunger strike is one for freedom and
dignity, which began immediately as a result of being horribly
mistreated during her last arrest, which included a forced strip
search by a male soldier, beatings, and later solitary confinement.
She is held in HaSharon prison.

Amnesty International reiterates urgent concern

<http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/MDE15/013/2012/en/5bab530b-94bf-423a-b8f1-79e92460a72b/mde150132012en.html>Amnesty
International reiterated its concern for Hana al-Shalabi's condition
following the examination by PHRI doctors. Earlier this month,
Amnesty issued an
<http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/MDE15/010/2012/en/9a8d1bb4-1286-488b-9574-279626a6b271/mde150102012en.html>urgent
action alert calling on people to contact authorities to
demand  Israel release Hana al-Shalabi and other so-called
"administrative detainees" held without charge or trial by proper
international standards.

Background on Hana al-Shalabi

<http://www.addameer.org/etemplate.php?id=452>Background from Addameer

"On 23 February 2012 Ms. Hana Shalabi was given an administrative
detention order for six months. On 29 February there was a discussion
regarding her detention in Ofer military court. On 4 March the
military court decided to reduce the detention period from six to
four months, but without promising not to extend or renew it. As a
result, Ms. Hana Shalabi announced she would continue to hunger
strike until her release. On 7 March, an appeal hearing regarding the
court's decision was held at Ofer, and the military judge ordered the
parties to try and reach a compromise by Sunday 11 March, but an
agreement has not yet been reached.

Administrative detainees' protests are growing. Two additional
administrative detainees, Bilal Diab and Thair Halahleh declared
hunger strikes on 1 March, which they claim will continue until their
release from administrative detention. On 3 March, two other
administrative detainees declared hunger strikes until their release.
Since the beginning of March, a number of administrative detainees
have refused to acknowledge the military court and refused to
participate in legal discussions of their cases. Due to Israel's use
of administrative detention, and the unwillingness of the military
court to interfere in this practice, a hunger strike serves as a
non-violent and sole tool available to administrative detainees to
protest and fight for their basic human rights.

Approximately 310 Palestinians are currently held in administrative
detention in Israeli prisons. Administrative detention allows Israel
to hold detainees for indefinitely renewable six-month periods. The
arrest is granted on the basis of "secret information" and without a
public indictment. Therefore, administrative detainees and their
lawyers cannot defend against these allegations in court."