[Ppnews] Return Imam Jamil Al-Amin to Georgia

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Mar 13 20:14:12 EDT 2012

Imam Jamil Al-Amin on Facebook wrote:  We have a
goal of 1000 signatures by the rally on March
19th! Please take a moment to sign this petition
for Imam Jamil Al-Amin and share it with your friends.

<http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/movetheimam/>http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/movetheimam/

The Petition

On Thursday, August 2, 2007, the public learned
that Imam Jamil Al-Amin, formerly known as H. Rap
Brown, no longer was in the custody of the State
of Georgia; he had been moved, without
notification to his attorneys or family
members,from the Georgia State Prison at
Reidsville, Georgia into the custody of the
Federal Bureau of Prisons. Information provided
to the press indicated that Imam Jamil was moved
to Oklahoma City and then within a day to the
ADMAX federal prison in Florence, Colorado.

Imam Jamil continues to challenge the abrupt and
unwarranted transfer out of the State of Georgia.
The transfer to federal custody in a facility
over 1,400 miles away removes him from the
Georgia area where family and friends would be
able to visit on a regular basis. The move
continues to isolate him from other inmates and
the opportunity to worship with others, and it
further imposes harsh conditions which Imam Jamil
challenged while incarcerated in the Georgia prison system.

Attorneys questioned the Georgia Department of
Corrections as to the reason for Imam Jamil’s
transfer to federal custody, even though he has
not been charged or convicted of a federal crime.
Devon Orland, Department of Law, State of Georgia, responded:

“The decision to transfer Mr. Al-Amin was made in
conjunction with the federal government and was
based upon legitimate security concerns. As for
the specific events that led to his transfer I am
not at liberty to discuss those but can tell you
that there were legitimate security concerns.
Neither I, nor anyone with the Department of
Corrections has control over where Mr. Al-Amin
will be housed within the federal system. He will
be subject to the same rules for transfer as any
other prisoner within that system and you will
need to check with them as to his current status,
likelihood of his being housed within Georgia and
rules regarding attorney contact and legal mail.
Mr. Al-Amin is in the custody of the Federal
Bureau of Prisons but is under a State of Georgia
prison sentence so “responsibility” is hard to
define out of context. The Bureau of Prisons is
responsible for the care and incarceration of Mr.
Al-Amin if that is the question you are asking
”

Help us let them know that we won't stand for this, bring him home.

<http://www.freeimamjamil.com>www.freeimamjamil.com