[Ppnews] Israel punishes hunger striking prisoners by transferring them to other end of country

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Mar 6 13:24:24 EST 2012

Israel punishes hunger striking prisoners by
transferring them to other end of country

Submitted by Adri Nieuwhof on Tue, 03/06/2012 - 14:47
http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/adri-nieuwhof/israel-punishes-hunger-striking-prisoners-transferring-them-other-end-country

Approximately 80 political prisoners have been
transferred from Gilboa prison to Nafha prison in
the Naqab [Negev] desert, according to the news
site
<http://www.arabs48.com/?mod=articles&ID=89724>Arabs48.
The transfer follows a solidarity hunger strike
undertaken by the prisoners, which I reported in
my
<http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/adri-nieuwhof/palestinian-prisoners-welcome-call-international-day-action-17-april>blog
of 28 February. I wrote that the prisoners in
Gilboa prison welcomed the call for an
international day of action on 17 April,
Palestinian Prisoners’ Day. The prisoners in
sections 2, 4 and 5 participated in a one-day
hunger strike on 13 February for which they were
immediately punished by the prison authorities.

The political prisoners from section 4 were
transferred to Nafha prison this week. They are
residents from Jerusalem, Israel and the occupied
Golan Heights. Nafha prison is located in the
south of Israel ­ a large distance from Gilboa prison in the north.

I asked Sahar Francis, director of the Addameer
Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association, to
comment on the prisoners transfer. “Actually we
don’t know exactly why the prisoners were
transferred. This is the usual behavior of the
Israeli Prison Service, to transfer prisoners far
away from home. To make it more difficult for the
families to visit their relatives in prison as an
act of punishment, an act of collective
punishment. Although sometimes they [the Israeli
Prison Service] claim the transfer was needed for
reconstruction activities. At times of hunger
strikes they transfer the leaders a lot - even on
a daily basis – in order not to encourage,
empower people to join in the hunger strike.”

Fouad Sultani, father of one of the transferred
prisoners, told the news site
<http://www.arabs48.com/?mod=articles&ID=89724>Arabs48
that the transfer increases the suffering of the
prisoners because of the conditions in Nafha
prison and the desert environment. It also means
an increase in the suffering of the families who
visit the prisoners. The majority live in the
north and they will have to travel long hours to
visit their imprisoned loved ones. According to
the news site, the prisoners have protested their
transfer by trying to prevent the execution of the transfer.

<http://electronicintifada.net/content/interview-palestinian-rights-defender-banned-traveling-tastes-freedom-geneva/11010>In
an interview with me published on The Electronic
Intifada last week, Shawan Jabarin, director of
the Palestinian human rights organization Al-Haq,
describing Israel’s ill-treatment of Palestinian political prisoners:

The punishment mentality is guiding the Israeli
practices and policies. Every day new rules are
created, [prisoners] have to take off their
clothes while the rooms are searched, [the prison
authorities] are transferring prisoners,
isolating them for years. It is psychological
torture. It is part of a revenge, a punishment
mentality. To restrict [Palestinians] from their freedom is not enough.

<http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/adri-nieuwhof/palestinian-prisoners-welcome-call-international-day-action-17-april>And
in a letter to me that I published on my blog
last week, political prisoner
<http://electronicintifada.net/people/ameer-makhoul>Ameer
Makhoul, a Palestinian citizen of Israel and
civil society leader currently held in Gilboa
prison, described the actions preceding the transfer of prisoners:

The message of the prisoners was clear: (..) that
Palestinian political prisoners are in
solidarity, united and one voice. In addition,
[the message was] that the case of Khader Adnan
is not an individual case but it is matter to all
Palestinian prisoners with all consequences and
responsibility. On the other side, it was an act
that strengthened the Palestinian prisoners
internally, because this act was not for any
service provision or benefit. It was for the
solidarity with [a] fighter for freedom. It is a
great moment. The motto of our action was that if
we Palestinian political prisoners request others
to express solidarity with us and to campaign for
us, we should be in solidarity among ourselves.

Meanwhile, the support for the Palestinian
political prisoners is growing. The call to make
Palestinian Political Prisoners day – 17 April –
a day of international action has been endorsed
by more than sixty organizations. Mireille Fanon
Mendès-France, member of the UN Working Group on
People of African Descent, and Jan J. Wijenberg,
Former Ambassador for the Kingdom of The
Netherlands, have joined Richard Falk and Ahmed
Kathrada in adding weight to the international
campaign. The
<http://palestinianprisoners.org/palestinian-prisoners-day/>call
has been published in several languages and can be endorsed online.