[Ppnews] Pelican Bay - Our duty as human beings is to fully resist

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Mar 1 10:51:52 EST 2012

<http://sfbayview.com/2012/our-duty-as-human-beings-is-to-fully-resist/>Our
duty as human beings is to fully resist

February 29, 2012

Open letter from Pelican Bay representative to
Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition

http://sfbayview.com/2012/our-duty-as-human-beings-is-to-fully-resist/
by Todd Ashker

Received by Prison Activist Resource Center Feb.
20, by SF Bay View Feb. 29 – Discussions are
underway with the intent to set short term and
long term goals in the resistance struggle
against SHU practices and the prison industrial
complex. People are indoctrinated, brainwashed
into believing they are weak or powerless – that
prisoners in this state are evil and deserve to
be punished and treated as some type of sub-human
animal, based on their felon status. By “people,”
I’m referring to prisoners, their families,
friends and supporters, as well as the general
public at large. This is the wrong way to see things and it has to change!

Here in the prison system, it’s become the norm
for men to brag that they have become
“institutionalized,” complacently accepting more
and more abuse and deprivations. They talk about
“I can take whatever they do to me and won’t give
them the satisfaction of complaining about it.”
This is the example set by many older cons for the younger cons.

I don’t agree with this type of mind set! We
should never accept being abused or mistreated.
It’s our duty as human beings to FULLY RESIST!
Our hunger strike activity over the past year has
shown that solid resistance is not only possible,
but also very effective, and it can be done in
smart, fully advantageous ways. It simply
requires prisoners to come together collectively
for the common good of all and with the support
of the people outside, forming a powerful force
to force the changes that are long overdue.
Changes dictated by morals and common sense
principles which the lawmakers and courts refuse
to make are based upon the politics and greed
related to manipulative special interest groups.

We need to do all we can to open people’s eyes
and minds to the following reality: Most
prisoners are not serving valid, legal sentences!
Our sentencing laws are not based on valid,
sensible public safety interests. Rather, our
sentencing laws are based on the politics
associated with failed policies – e.g., the war on drugs.

We are not serving valid sentences. Most
prisoners serving “term-to-life” sentences are
many years beyond minimum terms. We’re in prison
based on the money made off of us by special
interests! Thus, we need to resist and by our
resistance gain additional exposure and outside support.

Our compliance and recognition of the prison’s
power over us is our downfall. If we collectively
refuse to comply, and refuse to recognize the
prisoncrats having any power over us via refusal
to work, refusal to follow orders, then these
prisons cannot operate! Our goal needs to be to
force major changes, beneficial to prisoners and
our families and loved ones regarding prison
conditions and the amount of time people serve.
Our supporters outside need to make a hard core,
serious stand on the same agenda.

People need to see that we are not in here
legally. We’ve served our time – a great many of
us have – and paid our debt and then some! We are
no longer accepting the abuse and torture. We are
human beings and demand humane, non-punitive
treatment from this point on. And until there are
major changes toward this end, we collectively
refuse to comply with orders – and will possibly
can rally and demand out release!

On the radio today we heard that a 27-year-old
man at Corcoran died Feb. 2 in Ad Seg. How many
more have to die this way? Here we are in 2012
and prisoners are dying in peaceful protest of
prison conditions. What is really going on?!

Send our brother some love and light: Todd
Ashker, C-58191, PBSP SHU, D1-119, P.O. Box 7500, Crescent City CA 95532.