[Ppnews] National Occupy Day in Support of Prisoners

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jan 11 09:37:11 EST 2012

Friends,

Last night the Occupy Oakland General Assembly
passed the proposal below to have a National
Occupy Day in Support of Prisoners on Monday
February 20th.  In the Bay Area there will be a demonstration at San Quentin.

Hopefully there will be many, many others all
around the country.  Please spread the word.

for more info go to: <http://www.occupy4prisoners.org>www.occupy4prisoners.org

Diana
********************************

Proposal to Occupy Oakland General Assembly

This is the proposal that was passed at the
Occupy Oakland General Assembly, on Monday,
January 9th, and a list of endorsers in formation.

For more information and/or to endorse, email
occupy4prisoners [at] gmail [dot] com.

ENDORSERS (list in formation)

Angela Davis
California Coalition for Women Prisoners
Campaign to End the Death Penalty
Jack Bryson
Kevin Cooper Defense Committee
Labor Action Committee to Free Mumia Abu Jamal
Mobilization to Free Mumia Abu Jamal
National Committee to Free the Cuban Five
Occupied Oakland Tribune
Oscar Grant Committee Against Police Brutality and State Repression
Prison Activist Resource Center
Prison Watch Network
San Francisco Bay View Newspaper
Stanley Tookie Williams Legacy Network

PROPOSAL

Summary

We are calling for February 20th, 2012 to be a
“National Occupy Day in Support of Prisoners.”

In the Bay Area we will “Occupy San Quentin,” to
stand in solidarity with the people confined
within its walls and to demand the end of the
incarceration as a means of containing those
dispossessed by unjust social policies.

Reasons

Prisons have become a central institution in
American society, integral to our politics, economy and our culture.

Between 1976 and 2000, the United States built on
average a new prison each week and the number of
imprisoned Americans increased tenfold.

Prison has made the threat of torture part of
everyday life for millions of individuals in the
United States, especially the 7.3 million
people—who are disproportionately people of
color—currently incarcerated or under correctional supervision.

Imprisonment itself is a form of torture. The
typical American prison, juvenile hall and
detainment camp is designed to maximize
degradation, brutalization, and dehumanization.

Mass incarceration is the new Jim Crow. Between
1970 and 1995, the incarceration of African
Americans increased 7 times. Currently African
Americans make up 12 % of the population in the
U.S. but 53% of the nation’s prison population.
There are more African Americans under
correctional control today—in prison or jail, on
probation or parole—than were enslaved in 1850, a
decade before the Civil War began.

The prison system is the most visible example of
policies of punitive containment of the most
marginalized and oppressed in our society. Prior
to incarceration, 2/3 of all prisoners lived in
conditions of economic hardship. While the
perpetrators of white-collar crime largely go free.

In addition, the Center for Economic and Policy
Research estimated that in 2008 alone there was a
loss in economic input associated with people
released from prison equal to $57 billion to $65 billion.

We call on Occupies across the country to support:

1.  Abolishing unjust sentences, such as the
Death Penalty, Life Without the Possibility of
Parole, Three Strikes, Juvenile Life Without
Parole, and the practice of trying children as adults.

2.  Standing in solidarity with movements
initiated by prisoners and taking action to
support prisoner demands, including the Georgia
Prison Strike and the Pelican Bay/California Prisoners Hunger Strikes.

3.  Freeing political prisoners, such as Mumia
Abu-Jamal, Leonard Peltier, Lynne Stewart,
Bradley Manning and Romaine “Chip” Fitzgerald, a
Black Panther Party member incarcerated since 1969.

4. Demanding an end to the repression of
activists, specifically the targeting of African
Americans and those with histories of
incarceration, such as Khali in Occupy Oakland
who could now face a life sentence, on trumped-up
charges, and many others being falsely charged
after only exercising their First Amendment rights.

5. Demanding an end to the brutality of the
current system, including the torture of those
who have lived for many years in Secured Housing
Units (SHUs) or in solitary confinement.

6. Demanding that our tax money spent on
isolating, harming and killing prisoners, instead
be invested in improving the quality of life for
all and be spent on education, housing, health
care, mental health care and other human services
which contribute to the public good.

Bay Area

On February 20th, 2012 we will organize in front
of San Quentin, where male death-row prisoners
are housed, where Stanley Tookie Williams was
immorally executed by the State of California in
2005, and where Kevin Cooper, an innocent man on
death row, is currently imprisoned.

At this demonstration, through prisoners’
writings and other artistic and political
expressions, we will express the voices of the
people who have been inside the walls. The
organizers of this action will reach out to the
community for support and participation. We will
contact social service organizations, faith
institutions, labor organizations, schools,
prisoners, former prisoners and their family members.

National and International Outreach

We will reach out to Occupies across the country
to have similar demonstrations outside of
prisons, jails, juvenile halls and detainment
facilities or other actions as such groups deem
appropriate.  We will also reach out to Occupies
outside of the United States and will seek to
attract international attention and support.

We have chosen Monday, February 20, 2012 at San
Quentin, because it is a non-weekend
day.  Presidents’ Day avoids the weekend conflict
with prisoners’ visitation, which would likely be
shut down if we held a demonstration over the weekend.