[Ppnews] Black/Afrikan People Must Fight Against the Death Penalty!

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jan 10 18:49:45 EST 2012

Black/Afrikan People Must Fight Against the Death Penalty!

by Sis. Marpessa Kupendua - 1/2012
nattyreb at gmail.com
“Had it not been for slavery, the death penalty
would have likely been abolished in America.
Slavery became a haven for the death penalty. In
Virginia, before the end of slavery, there was
only one crime for which a white person could be
executed. But there were 66 crimes for which a
slave could be executed.” – Sis. Angela Davis, 2003
Most of us in the Black/Afrikan community very
understandably worry more about our children
being killed on the streets than by lethal
injection. Some of our neighborhoods are
devastated by drugs, poverty and violence and so
discussions around the uneven application of the
death penalty are a glaring non-issue when so
many of us live on the frontlines of these war
zones.  Each day we hear and read of horror
stories that fill us with disbelief, anguish and
rage and many want an eye for an eye! We so
readily identify with being victimized that we
even support the executions of juveniles and the
mentally disabled in particularly gruesome
incidences. It also seems a preposterous topic to
raise because most people can’t possibly foresee
that any member of their immediate families could ever face a death sentence.

But when this system offers to murder on our
alleged behalf, it carries a double-edged sword.
Many may believe in the execution of the
perpetrator of today's heinous leading news
story, but be outraged at the blatantly unjust
execution of another. Unfortunately, we are not
given the luxury to pick and choose once we
support state-sanctioned murder -- we are either
for it, regardless of how corrupt many of these
sham trials are, or against it!   In 2008 the
Death Penalty Information Center stated that 127
death row inmates had been exonerated, and that's
just those who were fortunate enough to get
evidence admitted that cleared them.  The
courageous work of anti-lynching heroine Ida B.
Wells was not meant to culminate in high-tech
state lynchings where even the cause of death is certified as 'homicide'.

Statistical data is abundant that the criminal
justice system, from profiling, arrest, and
sentencing, impacts Black/Afrikan and Latino
defendants the harshest, and the death penalty
is, of course, no exception.(1) Although some
political activists will concede the racist,
classist and political aspects of the death
penalty in specific cases, they continue to
remain uninvolved in the larger struggle to abolish it completely.

Black activists must dialogue and challenge that
mindset within our ranks, or we continue to risk
that far too many of our brothers and sisters –
such as Bro. Gregory (Ajamu) Resnover, Bro. Ziyon
Yisrayah, Bro. Shaka Sankofa, Bro. Troy Davis and
many more – will be wiped off of the planet. If
we stand against racist oppression, we must fully
understand that we are all under potential threat
of life – slow-speed death sentences -- or straight up legalized lynching.

Since Georgia succeeded in murdering Troy Davis,
an innocent man with worldwide support during
which Black people held the highest positions in
this country and did not intervene, what is to
stop the executions of  dozens more wrongfully
convicted and oversentenced captives with limited
or no support, particular those the state paints
as 'terrorists' during the age of NDAA?  We must
include the abolition of the death penalty as a
major plank of all of our platforms. No more
treating capital punishment as a back burner
issue and dismissing it as a largely white movement!

Existing mostly-white anti-DP organizations
should be confronted as to their lack of
employment of Blacks and other people of color,
especially those who have intimate knowledge of
the death penalty through personal
experience.  Bro. Lawrence Hayes wrote an open
letter to anti-DP organizations in December,
2011, that explains his personal frustration as
someone who was entombed for 2 1/2 yrs in the
death house and 20 yrs in prison before being exonerated:
"After my release, I help found the Campaign to
End the Death Penalty and have worked in
Education, as a Paralegal, for an anti death
penalty United Nation's NGO and in Human Service.
I am well educated, can write and publicly
articulate my positions, I am conscious and bring
first hand experience to an organization that no
other employee has.  However, for the past five
years I've made several attempts to work in a
capacity directly involving anti death penalty
work, mainly with groups like the Washington, DC
based National Death Penalty Center, ACLU, NAACP
Legal Defense Fund, Amnesty International, etc.
and haven't been able to land a job. This
disturbs me to no end and I would like the anti
death penalty activist community, these
organizations volunteer members, staff and donors
to ask this question of why, with the release so
many former death house prisoners, they don't
have a single one working for them."

“I must admit that at times I wonder and question
the intentions and knowledge of the death penalty
activists (abolishers) who are horrified and
oppose the killing of human beings, but who are
not horrified at the very system in its totality,
which renders such biased and unjust sentences
upon its citizens and which contributes to the
dehumanizing of its citizens. I say in turn that
it’s not just the death penalty which must be
overturned, but the whole institution of criminal
justice as we know it must be overturned.” – From
“What Is a Death Sentence?” by Bro. Adullah
Hameen, who was legally lynched by the State of Delaware on May 25, 2001

The oppression of the Black community via the
criminal justice system and its agents
intensifies by the day. Vicious police attacks
are openly viewed in all their sick glory via the
internet, putting their hate speech, beatings,
shootings and murders on full blast before the
world.  We are also all too familiar with the
massive oversentencing of Blacks vs. their white
counterparts, manufactured evidence, tortured
confessions, deliberate confusion, lies and even
more. Our children are seen as sub-human, easily
manipulated, animalistic and unemployable, sent
down a conveyor belt straight to these dungeons
and thus insuring the financing of their own encagement.

Even though many folks will concede that some
captives may be innocent, at least of lesser
counts than those with which they’ve been
charged, and that some belong in drug or
psychiatric treatment and not prison, and that of
course some are becoming more hardened and
callous than when they went in, and that yes some
will be raped, beaten, tortured, enslaved for
corporate profit while in prison and even killed
– the bottom line for many remains that our
community cannot be seen as making excuses for
crime, a la Bill Cosby. As a result, many of our
brothers and sisters will advocate even harsher
punishments than the system already has in place
and mimic those who would call for the jailing of
our children for “crimes” such as wearing sagging
pants or violation of noise ordinances!

We still yet believe that this system’s laws are
designed to protect us, when nothing could be
further from the truth! When presented with
evidence that the death penalty is race- and
class-based and not evenly applied, many will
respond that yes, it needs to made fair, but it
doesn’t need to be gotten rid of, not in all
cases. These laws are abitrary, political, and
remade at the whim of whoever is holding our
lives in their hands. This system’s very
foundation of racism and corruption can never be
reformed or “made fair,” so it definitely cannot
be trusted to determine who lives and who dies.

Capital punishment is itself premeditated murder!
It’s about keeping alive this country’s
bloodthirsty passion for lynching, a passion
which they will fight to feed even in the face of
overwhelming innocence, recantations of perjured
testimony, even to the point where an unhealthy
inmate will be cured just so that they can be
healthy enough to be murdered on death day!

But how many police officers and/or other
officials were given the death penalty for the
terrorist murders of 11 members of the MOVE
family – men, women and children – when police
dropped a BOMB on their home in Philadelphia in
May, 1985?! How many police officers were given
the death penalty in the bloody murder of 7 year
old Ayanna Jones in Detroit as she slept on the
sofa in her family's apartment in May, 2010? How
many police and/or other officials are given the
death penalty for the murders of people in our
communities, period? Their badges, guns, tasers
and titles do not give them the right to judge
who gets to live or die  – on the streets or in their prison death chambers!
“As I sit here on my bed, exhausted yet full of
joy and uncertainty, feeling the affects of seven
and a half years of constant chemotherapy, I am
reflecting on the day of Sept. 23, 2008, as we
entered the grounds of the Georgia Diagnostic and
Classification Prison, where I wanted to cry but
I could not; I wanted to yell but I could not; I
wanted to leave but I could not. Then I watched
the expression on my son’s face, that for the
first time in his 14 years of visiting death row,
he witnessed more than 100 SWAT, Tactical Squad
officers, corrections officers with dozens of
dogs, shotguns in hand, all because the state of
Georgia wants to kill his  Uncle Troy. I have
only seen such force on television from the civil
rights era.” – from “Silencing our Joy” by Sis.
Martina Correia, sister of innocent death row
prisoner, Troy Davis, Sept. 25, 2008(3)
When addressing the needs of families of victims
of crime, we must include the families of death
row inmates. They are among the most underserved
and unspoken of as they, too, cope with the
tremendous depression suffered by all
grief-stricken victims. These families, adults
and children, are barely able to function while
on the dizzying legal rollercoaster leading up to
their family member’s date with death.  Some are
treated as pariahs within their own community
while struggling to carry on with work and school
– simultaneously acting as their loved one’s
source of emotional and financial support,
traveling sometimes incredibly long distances to
visit through glass or even by video, gouged by
outrageously over-priced phone calls and
advocating for these inmates with inadequate
legal representatives(2), politricians and
god-complexed prison officials. These families
are not offered comfort or treated with even the most basic human dignity.

The good news is that more and more community
activists, and most significantly our creative
and genius-filled young brothers and sisters, are
not only adopting a community-wide view that
eclipses the media and societal pressure to be
consumed with self and self alone, but even
understanding the broader significance of our
people’s global struggle for liberation and
self-determination!  There exists an incredible
potential to seize the time and build a strong
anti-death penalty contingent within our
organizations and/or to make certain that a
representative of our groups becomes involved
with existing anti-DP organizing in our area,
lest we continue to scramble and scurry when
emergencies arise. There is an immediate need for
education and discussion around the issue of
capital punishment and there is an abundance of
anti-DP information on and off-line to be
disseminated within any gathering of our people.

Furthermore, these politricians have to be made
to feel that their continued allegiance to
capital punishment will negatively impact their
careers, and so will anyone else who purports to
act as a religious or other type  of
representative spokesperson for our
communities.  Anyone who speaks about being
'pro-life' should be confronted if they are not
just as passionate regarding abolition of the death penalty!

Addressing police and prison issues is critical
to building grassroots activism in any real and
meaningful way, it is a fact of life for the
Black/brown segment of the 99%,  and the issue of
state sponsored murder is a crucial part of that.
This is the system that far too many of our
families are touched by and, as Bro. Hameen
wrote, not just the death penalty but “the whole
institution of criminal justice as we know it
must be overturned.” We must make it “un-hip” to
be down with the death  penalty, particularly amongst our own ranks!
"I think we need to increase our tactical
strategies to include boycotts and
national/international protest. I think we need
to push for psychological and emotional
therapeutic counseling (stress, anxiety, anger
management and bereavement) for the families of
men and women facing capital punishment,
especially after an execution. I, also, believe
that because of the economic situations in most
African-American and Taino communities, we need
to develop creative ways to organize the
African-American and Taino anti death penalty
voice." Bro. Lawrence Hayes, exonerated death row inmate.
ABOLISH THE RACIST, CLASSIST DEATH PENALTY! FORWARD EVER!