[Ppnews] Notes From a Guantánamo Survivor

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sun Jan 8 18:52:30 EST 2012

January 7, 2012
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/opinion/sunday/notes-from-a-guantanamo-survivor.html

Notes From a Guantánamo Survivor

By MURAT KURNAZ

Bremen, Germany

I LEFT
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/national/usstatesterritoriesandpossessions/guantanamobaynavalbasecuba/index.html?inline=nyt-geo>Guantánamo
Bay much as I had arrived almost five years
earlier ­ shackled hand-to-waist,
waist-to-ankles, and ankles to a bolt on the
airplane floor. My ears and eyes were goggled, my
head hooded, and even though I was the only
detainee on the flight this time, I was drugged
and guarded by at least 10 soldiers. This time
though, my jumpsuit was American denim rather
than Guantánamo orange. I later learned that my
C-17 military flight from Guantánamo to Ramstein
Air Base in my home country, Germany, cost more than $1 million.

When we landed, the American officers unshackled
me before they handed me over to a delegation of
German officials. The American officer offered to
re-shackle my wrists with a fresh, plastic pair.
But the commanding German officer strongly
refused: “He has committed no crime; here, he is a free man.”

I was not a strong secondary school student in
Bremen, but I remember learning that after
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/w/world_war_ii_/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>World
War II, the Americans insisted on a trial for war
criminals at Nuremberg, and that event helped
turn Germany into a democratic country. Strange,
I thought, as I stood on the tarmac watching the
Germans teach the Americans a basic lesson about the rule of law.

How did I arrive at this point? This Wednesday is
the 10th anniversary of the opening of the
detention camp at the American naval base at
Guantánamo Bay, Cuba. I am not a terrorist. I
have never been a member of
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/a/al_qaeda/index.html?inline=nyt-org>Al
Qaeda or supported them. I don’t even understand
their ideas. I am the son of Turkish immigrants
who came to Germany in search of work. My father
has worked for years in a Mercedes factory. In
2001, when I was 18, I married a devout Turkish
woman and wanted to learn more about Islam and to
lead a better life. I did not have much money.
Some of the elders in my town suggested I travel
to Pakistan to learn to study the Koran with a religious group there.

I made my plans just before 9/11. I was 19 then
and was naïve and did not think war in
Afghanistan would have anything to do with
Pakistan or my trip there. So I went ahead with my trip.

I was in Pakistan, on a public bus on my way to
the airport to return to Germany when the police
stopped the bus I was riding in. I was the only
non-Pakistani on the bus ­ some people joke that
my reddish hair makes me look Irish ­ so the
police asked me to step off to look at my papers
and ask some questions. German journalists told
me the same thing happened to them. I was not a
journalist, but a tourist, I explained. The
police detained me but promised they would soon
let me go to the airport. After a few days, the
Pakistanis turned me over to American officials.
At this point, I was relieved to be in American
hands; Americans, I thought, would treat me fairly.

I later learned the United States paid a $3,000
bounty for me. I didn’t know it at the time, but
apparently the United States distributed
thousands of fliers all over Afghanistan,
promising that people who turned over
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/t/taliban/index.html?inline=nyt-org>Taliban
or Qaeda suspects would, in the words of one
flier, get “enough money to take care of your
family, your village, your tribe for the rest of
your life.” A great number of men wound up in Guantánamo as a result.

I was taken to Kandahar, in Afghanistan, where
American interrogators asked me the same
questions for several weeks: Where is Osama bin
Laden? Was I with Al Qaeda? No, I told them, I
was not with Al Qaeda. No, I had no idea where
bin Laden was. I begged the interrogators to
please call Germany and find out who I was.
During their interrogations, they dunked my head
under water and punched me in the stomach; they
don’t call this
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/t/torture/waterboarding/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>waterboarding
but it amounts to the same thing. I was sure I would drown.

At one point, I was chained to the ceiling of a
building and hung by my hands for days. A doctor
sometimes checked if I was O.K.; then I would be
strung up again. The pain was unbearable.

After about two months in Kandahar, I was
transferred to Guantánamo. There were more
beatings, endless solitary confinement, freezing
temperatures and extreme heat, days of forced
sleeplessness. The interrogations continued
always with the same questions. I told my story
over and over ­ my name, my family, why I was in
Pakistan. Nothing I said satisfied them. I
realized my interrogators were not interested in the truth.

Despite all this, I looked for ways to feel
human. I have always loved animals. I started
hiding a piece of bread from my meals and feeding
the iguanas that came to the fence. When
officials discovered this, I was punished with 30
days in isolation and darkness.

I remained confused on basic questions: why was I
here? With all its money and intelligence, the
United States could not honestly believe I was Al Qaeda, could they?

After two and a half years at Guantánamo, in
2004, I was brought before what officials called
a Combatant Status Review Tribunal, at which a
military officer said I was an “enemy combatant”
because a German friend had engaged in a suicide
bombing in 2003 ­ after I was already at
Guantánamo. I couldn’t believe my friend had done
anything so crazy but, if he had, I didn’t know anything about it.

A couple of weeks later, I was told I had a visit
from a lawyer. They took me to a special cell and
in walked an American law professor,
<http://law.shu.edu/Faculty/display-profile.cfm?customel_datapageid_4018=4070>Baher
Azmy. I didn’t believe he was a real lawyer at
first; interrogators often lied to us and tried
to trick us. But Mr. Azmy had a note written in
Turkish which he had gotten from my mother, and
that made me trust him. (My mother found a lawyer
in my hometown in Germany who heard that lawyers
at the Center for Constitutional Rights
represented Guantánamo detainees; the center
assigned Mr. Azmy my case.) He did not believe
the evidence against me and quickly discovered
that my “suicide bomber” friend was, in fact, alive and well in Germany.

Mr. Azmy, my mother and my German lawyer helped
pressure the German government to secure my
release. Recently, Mr. Azmy made public a number
of American and German intelligence documents
from 2002 to 2004 that showed both countries
suspected I was innocent. One of the documents
said American military guards thought I was
dangerous because I had prayed during the American national anthem.

Now, five years after my release, I am trying to
put my terrible memories behind me. I have
remarried and have a beautiful baby daughter.
Still, it is hard not to think about my time at
Guantánamo and to wonder how it is possible that
a democratic government can detain people in
intolerable conditions and without a fair trial.

<http://us.macmillan.com/author/muratkurnaz>Murat
Kurnaz, the author of “Five Years of My Life: An
Innocent Man in Guantánamo,” was detained from 2001 to 2006.