[Ppnews] New Report Shows Juvenile Lifers Suffering in Solitary Confinement

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jan 3 12:16:52 EST 2012

New Report Shows Juvenile Lifers Suffering in Solitary Confinement

January 3, 2012

by
<http://solitarywatch.com/author/jeancasellaandjamesridgeway/>Jean
Casella and James Ridgeway

http://solitarywatch.com/2012/01/03/new-report-shows-juvenile-lifers-suffering-in-solitary-confinement/

The United States is the only national in the
world that doles out life sentences for crimes
committed while the offender was below the age of
18. According to a
<http://www.hrw.org/news/2012/01/02/us-harsh-conditions-young-lifers/>report
released yesterday by Human Rights Watch,
“approximately 2,570 youth offenders serving life
without parole sentences in adult US prisons,”
and as inmates they ”experience conditions that
violate fundamental human rights.”

The report “draws on six years of research, and
interviews and correspondence with correctional
officials and hundreds of youth offenders serving
life without parole,” and presages the Supreme
Court’s upcoming review of juvenile LWOP. “Youth
offenders are serving life without parole
sentences in 38 states and in federal prisons,”
HRW reports. “Prison policies that channel
resources to inmates who are expected to be
released often result in denying youth serving
life without parole opportunities for education,
development, and rehabilitation.”

Among the report’s shocking findings is the fact
that “nearly every youth offender serving life
without parole reported physical violence or
sexual abuse by other inmates or corrections
officers.” Unsurprisingly, “Youth offenders
commonly reported having thoughts of suicide,
feelings of intense loneliness, or depression.
Isolation was frequently compounded by solitary
confinement. In the past five years, at least
three youth offenders serving life without parole
sentences in the
<http://www.hrw.org/united-states/us-program>United
States have committed suicide.”

In its section on “Protective and Punitive
Isolation,” the report finds that “Youth
offenders often spend significant amounts of
their time in US prisons isolated from the
general prison population. Such segregation can
be an attempt to protect vulnerable youth
offenders from the general population, to punish
infractions of prison rules, or to manage
particular categories of inmates, such as alleged
gang members. Youth offenders frequently
described their experience in segregation as a profoundly difficult ordeal.”

It continues: “Life in long-term isolation
usually involves segregating inmates for 23 or
more hours a day in their cells. Offenders
contacted by Human Rights Watch described the
devastating loneliness of spending their days
alone, without any human contact, except for when
a guard passes them a food tray through a slot in
the door, or when guards touch their wrists when
handcuffing them through the same slot before
taking them to the exercise room or for a shower
once a week. Youth had the same experience and
feelings whether they had been isolated to protect or to punish them.”

The report’s findings on the use of solitary
confinement on juvenile lifers (with
corresponding footnotes) appears below. You can
also read the full report–which includes a series
of recommendations to the president, Congress,
corrections officials, and
judges–<http://www.hrw.org/reports/2012/01/03/against-all-odds>online
or as a
<http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/us0112ForUpload_0.pdf>PDF.

Protection that Harms

A growing consensus views protective isolation as
acceptable only as a last resort and interim
measure.<http://solitarywatch.com/2012/01/03/new-report-shows-juvenile-lifers-suffering-in-solitary-confinement/#_ftn56>[56]
Yet isolation is commonly used by prison
officials as a quick solution to protection
challenges­including the challenge of keeping a
young person safe in a prison full of adults.

Youth offenders reported to Human Rights Watch
that they sometimes sought out protective custody
to avoid harm. Occasionally, prison authorities
recognize the problems a youth offender is having
and take corrective measures. Jeffrey W., who entered prison at age 17, wrote:

At the beginning, the focus was on surviving
.
Naturally, I was the target of sexual predators
and had to fight off a couple rape attempts
.
These were hardened, streetwise convicts who had
been in prison 10, 15, 20, 30 years and I was a
naive 18-year-old who knew nothing about prison
life
. Because of the rape attempts on me
 state
prison officials [said] I should have been
classified as needing protection. I was soon sent
to the state’s protection unit
. I stayed there
for seven years until I was returned to the
general population­older, wiser, and capable of
surviving general
population.<http://solitarywatch.com/2012/01/03/new-report-shows-juvenile-lifers-suffering-in-solitary-confinement/#_ftn57>[57]Unfortunately,
segregation can exacerbate the lack of
opportunities for programs described in more detail later in this report:

Right now I’m not receiving no schooling or
counseling due to being in ASU Administrative
Segretion Unit. They have no schooling for me or
etc. They are way out of conduct here. I been
asking to receive some GED work but I haven't
receive no response. I wish to receive schooling.
I learn how to read and write in prison and I
want to be successful. I might get out one
day.<http://solitarywatch.com/2012/01/03/new-report-shows-juvenile-lifers-suffering-in-solitary-confinement/#_ftn58>[58]Prolonged
periods of isolation can be devastating for
anyone, but are especially devastating for young
offenders.<http://solitarywatch.com/2012/01/03/new-report-shows-juvenile-lifers-suffering-in-solitary-confinement/#_ftn59>[59]

Punishment with a Permanent Impact

Youth offenders are often placed in long-term
isolation or super-maximum security confinement
as a disciplinary sanction. Dennis Burbank, an
administrative officer at Colorado State
Penitentiary, offered an explanation for why
youth offenders serving life without parole often
end up confined in long-term isolation:

One [factor] is age­when you come in at a young
age with life without, there’s not a whole lot of
light at the end of the tunnel. Also, it’s kind
of a guy thing: the young ones come in with a lot
of fear, anxiety, paranoia, and they want to make
a name for themselves­so they have a tendency to
act out
. They say [to themselves] ‘I’ve got to
impress everyone with what a bad-ass I
am.’<http://solitarywatch.com/2012/01/03/new-report-shows-juvenile-lifers-suffering-in-solitary-confinement/#_ftn60>[60]Long-term
isolation can have lasting negative effects on
inmates. Troy L. came to prison at age 16 after
committing first degree murder at the age of 15.
He spent “something like 300 days in an isolation
cell” when he was awaiting trial and had been
transferred to isolation several times since for
“different
reasons.”<http://solitarywatch.com/2012/01/03/new-report-shows-juvenile-lifers-suffering-in-solitary-confinement/#_ftn61>[61]
Troy said he had spent so much time in isolation
that he was unable to feel comfortable relating
to and living around other people, especially now
that he was housed in the general population barracks:

If you just see what these barracks are like,
they got us piled in there like some cockroaches.
And I’ve spent so much time over the years
 in
just cells and lockdown for different reasons.
And it’s hard for me to deal with just having so
many people around. So much­I can’t think­you
know what I
mean?<http://solitarywatch.com/2012/01/03/new-report-shows-juvenile-lifers-suffering-in-solitary-confinement/#_ftn62>[62]Human
Rights Watch has systematically documented and
advocated against the human rights violations
inherent in the incarceration of individuals in
super-maximum security prisons throughout the
United
States.<http://solitarywatch.com/2012/01/03/new-report-shows-juvenile-lifers-suffering-in-solitary-confinement/#_ftn63>[63]
Segregated living also has long-term
psychological