[Ppnews] Come and Support Lynne Stewart's appeal February 29!

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sun Feb 26 15:16:10 EST 2012

<http://lynnestewart.org/2012/02/16/free-lynne-stewart-come-and-support-lynnes-appeal-february-29/>FREE
LYNNE STEWART !!!! Come and Support Lynne’s appeal February 29!

February 16th, 2012

FREE LYNNE STEWART !!!! Come and Support Lynne’s appeal!

VIGIL – February 28, 2012 sundown until @ Tom Paine Park, NYC

OCCUPY THE COURTS February 29, 2012 – Lynne’s
Appeal @ 500 Pearl Street, NYC 9am

Lynne says:

“A Large Outpouring of Support in Foley Square
and Tom Paine Park and in the Courtroom will
signal to these arbiters of “Justice” that
attention must be paid, the 99% are watching them
with suspicion and tallying up the roads not taken.”

http://lynnestewart.org/

<http://lynnestewart.org/2012/01/31/about-the-court-argument-on-the-29th-of-february/>About
the Court Argument on the 29th of February

January 31st, 2012

About the Court Argument on the 29th of February
By Lynne Stewart

After the disaster in July 2010, when Judge
Koeltl, following the directives of the Second
Circuit increased my sentence from 28 months to
10 years, our righteous indignation fueled this
appeal.  The government’s argument will center on
my testimony at trial and the alleged
perjury.  All of those facts were before the
Court at the time of the 28 month sentence and
were not the basis then of  a double digit sentence.

Our Brief attacks the increased sentence on two
different fronts –one on a doctrine of
“substantive unreasonableness”  meaning it’s just
too much of an increase, five fold ­ given the
circumstances. Secondly, we argued that the only
“new” information before the Judge were my
statements after my first sentence in October of
2008 and remarks I made on the Courthouse steps
before I surrendered to prison.  We contend
strongly that this is protected speech under the
First Amendment of the Constitution, and cannot
be used to increase or as a  basis for sentencing.  (even if they hate it !!!)

The same group of 3 Judges that heard and decided
the original appeal will also hear the arguments
on the 29th. The government is not asking for
more time; they are satisfied with their pound of
flesh but it is not likely that this Court will
take any action that will help me. The times are
askew for prisoners and their lawsuits.

The lawyers that argued in July of 2010 will be
on board with the addition of Herald Price
Fahringer, an eminent attorney in the First
Amendment field (the win in the Larry Flynt
Hustler case in the US Supreme Court was his. He
was also in the line of fire (no injuries) when
the shooting took place.) He will
enthusiastically present our case. I will not be
present –not unusual once imprisoned.  But my
spirit will be there to inspire !!!

Of course, my case has always been government
firing  warning shots  to Lawyers, that a
vigorous defense, of certain clients, if not
conforming to government specifications,  will be
punished severely .  This chill effect in these
days that we are confronted with Grand Jury
investigations and dismantling of Occupations is
not something we should contemplate with anything
less than alarm.  I have just finished David
Gilbert’s book (Love Struggle) and the
intercession of lawyers when there are arrests of
designated enemies of the “state” are the
only  meaningful protection available.