[Ppnews] Family of California Prisoner Who Died on Hunger Strike Speaks Out

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Feb 23 17:13:20 EST 2012

Family of California Prisoner Who Died on Hunger Strike Speaks Out

February 23, 2012
http://solitarywatch.com/2012/02/23/family-of-california-prisoner-who-died-on-hunger-strike-speaks-out/

by <http://solitarywatch.com/author/sal2329/>Sal Rodriguez

The family of Christian Gomez, the 27-year-old
prisoner who died while on hunger strike at
California’s Corcoran State Prison, is speaking
out about the loss of their family member in the
hope that similar incidents in the future are avoided.

In a phone call with Solitary Watch, California
Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
spokesperson Terry Thornton confirmed that Gomez
had been placed in solitary confinement in the
Administrative Segregation Unit (ASU) pending
investigation of assault on another inmate with a
weapon on January 14, 2012. Thornton would not
confirm the status of this investigation. Gomez
was serving a life sentence for first degree murder and attempted murder.

Christian Gomez had not told his family members
of his intentions to participate in the January
27-February 13 hunger strike held by ASU inmates
<http://sfbayview.com/2011/new-hunger-strike-petition-for-improved-conditions-in-administrative-segregation-unit-at-corcoran-state-prison/>in
protest of their conditions. According to an
interview with Gomez’s sister, Y.L., she “found
out when the coroner Tom [Edmonds] implied that
there was a possibility of a chemical imbalance
due to a hunger strike he was participating in.
That’s the first I heard of this. Back in
<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/22/the-truth-about-solitary-confinement-in-california/>Sep
or Oct when he first was transferred there he did
tell me that they were having a hunger strike to
fight for their rights but he was in general population.”

Contrary to
<http://solitarywatch.com/2012/02/10/inmate-dies-during-hunger-strike-at-californias-corcoran-state-prison/>earlier
reports that he had only been on a hunger strike
for four days when he died, Terry Thornton
confirmed to Solitary Watch that Gomez joined the
strike on January 27 with 31 other inmates. This
means that he had been on hunger strike for a week at the time of his death.

The family says that Gomez had high blood
pressure, thyroid and kidney problems.  According
to Y.L., before being sent to Corcoran he had
been incarcerated at High Desert State Prison for
four years. “He told me things were a lot
different at this prison and that he didn’t
receive the same medical attention he received over at high desert,” said Y.L.

Gomez was found unresponsive in his cell at an
unconfirmed time on February 2.
<http://solitarywatch.com/2012/02/17/conflicting-reports-on-hunger-strike-at-californias-corcoran-state-prison/>Reports
from other inmates indicate that they had pounded
on their cell doors and screamed to get the
attention of the correctional officers. He was
declared dead at Corcoran District Hospital at 12:22 PM.

According to Y.L., “My mother received the call
of my brother’s death on Thursday February 2,
2012 at approximately  1pm. She then called me
hysterically and that’s when I went over to her
house. When I got there I asked her who called
and she said someone from the prison. [I] asked
her if they gave her a number were we could call
to obtain more info and she said no. They told
her that she would receive a letter in the mail
explaining everything and where we could claim
the body
 I was so upset that things were being
handled this way, for God sake we were talking
about a human being not an animal.”

Asked how she would like people to remember her
brother, Y.L. responded,”he was a genuine person
that had not lost hope in the system. He knew
that he would eventually get out. Although he had
made bad choices in who he hung around with he
didn’t murder anyone. The witnesses in his case
never identified him on the contrary, but yet he
was still convicted. Unfortunately we couldn’t
afford a good attorney and he got screwed. He was
very caring with his family and friends and
therefore he will be greatly missed by those who
knew him. He had matured a lot in prison and can
be remembered by those who knew him as a
prankster. There was never a dull moment with
him. He always had a big smile when we visited
him and never discussed how bad things were in
there to not worry us. He always said he was
fine. Even in the last letter he wrote on Jan
30th which my mom received on Feb 3rd he wrote that he was fine.”