[Ppnews] US Court to hear Aafia's lawyers appeal against sentence today

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Feb 10 10:32:46 EST 2012

2 articles follow

<http://tribune.com.pk/story/334311/us-court-to-hear-aafias-lawyers-appeal-against-sentence/>US
Court to hear Aafia's lawyers appeal against sentence

http://tribune.com.pk/story/334311/us-court-to-hear-aafias-lawyers-appeal-against-sentence/

By <http://tribune.com.pk/author/78/app/>APP
Published: February 10, 2012

NEW YORK: A three judge panel of the US Court of
Appeals is set to hear an appeal by Dr Aafia
Siddiqui’s lawyers, against her September 2010
conviction on charges for attempting to kill
American intelligence officers in Afghanistan in 2008.

On February 9, her counsel, Dawn Cardi, will
present her argument before the panel to overturn
the judgement against her client, while the
prosecution will seek dismissal of the appeal.

Dr Siddiqui, a Pakistani neuroscientist, was
sentenced to 86 years in prison by the Federal
District Court in New York City, while she has
consistently denied the charges levelled against her, pleading her innocence.

On April 2011, her
<http://tribune.com.pk/story/149229/aafias-lawyers-to-file-appeal-against-sentence/>lawyers
had filed an appeal. Her court-appointed lawyer
Cardi says the ‘multifaceted’ appeal will
challenge the “court’s decision, the several
legal issues with the trial, the introduction of
evidence as well as how Siddiqui was allowed to
testify given what we believe was her diminished capacity.”

However less than a month after the sentencing,
Siddiqui fired her lawyers and waived her right
to an appeal. Siddiqui wrote that she had fired
her five lawyers and would be represented by
Farha Ahmed, a Texas-based attorney.

Cardi had said that she had been in touch with
Siddiqui’s family through a representative. When
asked if they were supportive of the appeal, she
said, “I don’t know nor do I care. It is my
responsibility and I am obligated to file an appeal.”

Recently, there were reports that Pakistan’s
Ambassador to the US
<http://tribune.com.pk/story/328360/sherry-gets-updates-on-dr-aafias-condition/>Sherry
Rehman met with Tina Foster, Dr Siddiqui’s lawyer
from International Justice Network.

Foster had apprised the ambassador of her
client’s situation and discussed with her various
options to ease Aafia’s conditions of
incarceration, and in the long term, her repatriation to Pakistan.

Arrested in July 2008 in Ghazni, Afghanistan, on
allegations of being an al Qaeda operative and
facilitator, Siddiqui was flown to New York where
she was kept in a high security prison.

The neuroscientist’s case, who is a graduate of
Massachusetts Institute of Technology and
Brandeis University,  has garnered global
attention, particularly Pakistan, where protests
demanding her release and repatriation to the
country are held regularly by political and religious parties.

Human Rights groups have also conducted campaigns
demanding her release or a lenient sentence.

Dr Fowzia Siddiqui’s open letter to President Zardari

By
<http://blogs.thenewstribe.com/blog/author/dr-fowzia-siddiqui/>Dr
Fowzia Siddiqui - Feb 9th, 2012

http://blogs.thenewstribe.com/blog/66570/dr-fowzia-siddiquis-open-letter-to-president-zardari/#.TzU2XuSwc8I

February 8, 2012

Mr.Asif Ali Zardari,

President,

Islamic republic of Pakistan,

  Re: Aafia’s Upcoming Appeal Process, the Role
of Your Government, and Broken promises.

  Dear Sir,

This Friday, February 10, 2012, the world will be
watching as court-appointed attorneys (who are
paid by the US government, and Aafia has
repeatedly attempted to fire) – will argue before
a US Court of Appeals and purport to represent my
sister’s interests against her will.  This
mockery of justice is simply yet another example
of how Aafia’s conviction of a crime she did not
commit is virtually guaranteed in the US
“justice” system.  Meanwhile, US agents who have
perpetrated crimes against her – including
kidnapping, torture, assault, and false
imprisonment, have not been called to account.

  It has now been three and a half years since
agents of the US government shot my sister and
the beginning of the 10th year since she was
abducted – a Pakistani citizen – abducted from
Pakistan through a rendition operation locked up
in Afghanistan, and forcibly removed from
Afghanistan after an implausible shoot out, and
illegally transferred her to the United States.

  So-called “high-profile” American criminal
defense attorneys convinced the government of
Pakistan to pay them millions of dollars – and
then refused to resign when Aafia did not accept
them. Neither did the Pakistani Government
intervene. There can no longer be any doubt that
Aafia will never receive justice in the US legal system.

I want to remind you today of the promises that
you made, your Prime Minister made, Interior
Ministry made and Foreign Ministry made. The
promises that said Aafia will be back. Raymond
Davis and several other mercenaries have walked
free from our land, but innocent citizens are
languishing due to the negligence and criminal silence of your administration.

  Now, more than ever, the fate of this Daughter
of the Nation lies in the hands of the Pakistani
government to bring her home. We can only but
request and protest, How you respond to our
plea’s will be your legacy and will define our
nation, let it be of Pride not Shame.

Dr. Fowzia Siddiqui