[Ppnews] Leonard Peltier - We are NOT your slaves!

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Feb 6 11:04:50 EST 2012

Monday, February 6, 2012

http://lpdoc.blogspot.com/2012/02/06-february-anniversary-message-from.html

06 February Anniversary Message from Leonard Peltier

Greetings to my relations, my friends, and to my
many supporters the world over.

It is that time again. Another year has passed,
and on February 6th I will be marking 36 years
since my arrest. During all this time, my family
and allies have discovered just how far the
government will go to wrongfully convict and
imprison someone they know is innocent. They do
this as a message­first to Indians, and further
to anyone who might stand up to injustice­as if
to say, “We will do as we please”.

 From the day of my arrest until now, through you
my supporters, I have been honored with many
activist and humanitarian awards. I thank you for
keeping awareness of me and my case alive. Your
commitment has really been a special experience for me.

In addition many celebrities, political figures,
and organizations have called for my release,
including 55 members of Congress. This last
November, the National Congress of American
Indians (NCAI) passed a permanent resolution
calling for my release. Well let’s hope its not
that permanent. The NCAI has committed to being
directly involved with my case so that the
message from Washington to Indian people does not
remain, “We will do as we please”.

Still, despite all this attention and with all
the leaders and people of conscience calling for
my release, I have been kept in this iron cage.
They have even kept me longer than their own laws
say they can. With evidence corroborating that I
did not receive a fair trial, with proof of
government misconduct, with admissions by
government officials that they do not know who
killed those two agents that day at the Jumping
Bull property, here I sit. “We will do as we please.”

Recently, as many of you know, an act was passed
and signed into law that allows for indefinite
detention of American citizens without charge or
trial. This is perhaps the final straw, the final
nail in the coffin of American freedom, the end
of habeas corpus and due process. “We will do as we please.”

We Indians said it for generations: If they can
kill us indiscriminately, they will do it to
anyone. If they can take our land, they will do
it to anyone. If they can kidnap our children and
take them to prison schools, they will do it to
anyone. If they can starve us and lie to us, they
will do it to anyone. If they can wrongfully
imprison us, they will do it to anyone. Now,
sadly, this is another Indian prophecy fulfilled. “We will do as we please.”

Our ancestors and tribal people all over the
world prophesized a time of upheaval and great
change. I believe that time is fast approaching.
I believe a part of this is the government’s
ongoing overreach of its authority­until the
people rise up and tell Washington, “You will NOT
do as you please! We are NOT your slaves! We will
NOT be subjugated! We will NOT be ruled by an
iron fist! We will NOT allow you to steal our liberty or our justice!"

My friends, my relatives, my supporters­Be a part
of this latest, perhaps the last "Indian
uprising". Make your voice heard! Be a part of
the brave Movement to come, the Movement that
will change the course of human history. Make
change and hope and peace and justice a part of
your personal legacy. Be the change that you
envision and know in your heart must take place.

Do this, and on the day you take your last breath
and prepare to meet Creator, you will know your
life on this Earth was well spent. Close your
eyes knowing you used your breath and energy to
Creator’s good purpose. Smile as you cross over
knowing you changed the world so that the next
seven generations can know a good life. Do these
things and know that I am with you. I will
embrace you as my relations­in this life or the next.

Mitakuye Oyasin.

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse,

Leonard Peltier