[Ppnews] Palestine - Hunger Striking Prisoners Call on the International Community to intensify efforts

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Dec 19 13:31:39 EST 2012

  Hunger Striking Prisoners Send Message from Magiddo Prison and Call on
  the International Community to "intensify their efforts and to raise
  our voices high in international forums to expose the barbaric
  occupation and its practices."

/19 December 2012, Ramallah /- http://www.addameer.org/etemplate.php?id=556

Addameer lawyer Samer Samaan visited three of the prisoners on hunger
strike yesterday, 18 December 2012.

The three prisoners, Jafar Azzidine, Tarek Qa'adan and Yousef Yassin,
have been on hunger strike for 22 days now, in protest of their
administrative detention orders. They were arrested on 22 November 2012,
the night after the ceasefire on the attacks on Gaza in November. Their
health is deteriorating rapidly, as they are only drinking water and
refusing vitamins or any supplements from the administration. They are
still held in prison cells with the other Palestinian prisoners, but are
taken to the clinic daily, handcuffed, for medical testing. Below is a
message as dictated to Addameer lawyer
Samer Samaan from the three hunger strikers:
*"Our open hunger strike is to protest the Intelligence and their
policies, our goal is not just to gain our individual freedom but to end
the practice of administrative detention, the pointed sword on the neck
of the Palestinians. This is a battle in the fight for freedom and
dignity despite all the continuing pain and torments that impair us, and
despite all the pressure that we endure and is practiced against us by
the Israeli Prison Service and Shabak to break our will from our
steadfastness. However, the cowardly enemy will never undermine our
steadfastness and our determination to achieve justice and freedom for
all our imprisoned and hunger striking brothers, and the oppressed and
those who were tortured by the fiery tormentors for decades. We call on
the sons of our people to stand by us and to show responsibility for our
fellow prisoners, especially Samer Issawi and Ayman Sharawna who are
nearing death. We also call on all local and international institutions
and those that are specifically for human rights to intensify their
efforts and to raise our voices high in international forums to expose
the barbaric occupation and its practices."*
Jafar Azzidine, 41 years old from Jenin,  has been detained by the
Occupation seven times, his most recent arrest being 21 March 2012. He
participated in a hunger strike on 14 May 2012, and was released on 19
June 2012, after spending 4 months in administrative detention. As a
result of his most recent hunger strike, he suffers from low blood
pressure, continuous dizziness and headaches, protein deficiencies and
pain in his joints, knees, hands and spinal cord.
Tarek Qa'adan, 40 years old from Jenin, has been detained by the
Occupation 13 times since 1989. In his prior arrest, he was sentenced to
15 months for speaking at a commemoration event at the American
University of Jenin.  He has participated in several hunger strikes,
including the solidarity hunger strikes with Khader Adnan and Hana
Shalabi. He is currently suffering from atrophy in his muscles as a
result of his current 22 days hunger strike.
Yousef Yassin, 29 years old from Jenin, has been detained by the
Occupation three times before, the most recent in Febraury 2012, in
which he was sentenced to eight months.
Administrative detention is a procedure that allows the Israeli military
to hold prisoners indefinitely on secret information without charging
them or allowing them to stand trial. There are currently 178
administrative detainees, a significant increase since the attacks on
Gaza in November 2012.
Addameer condemns the continued practice of administrative detention
against Palestinians. Addameer calls on the international community to
pressure their governments and Israel to end this arbitrary practice and
to comply with international humanitarian and human rights law.
*ACT NOW!*
*Write to the Israeli government, military and legal authorities and
demand that the hunger striking prisoners be released immediately.

    * Brigadier General Danny Efroni
      Military Judge Advocate General
      6 David Elazar Street
      Harkiya, Tel Aviv
      Israel
      Fax: +972 3 608 0366; +972 3 569 4526
      Email: arbel at mail.idf.il; avimn at idf.gov.il
    * Maj. Gen. Nitzan Alon
      OC Central Command Nehemia Base, Central Command
      Neveh Yaacov, Jerusalam
      Fax: +972 2 530 5741
    * Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense Ehud Barak
      Ministry of Defense
      37 Kaplan Street, Hakirya
      Tel Aviv 61909, Israel
      Fax: +972 3 691 6940 / 696 2757
    * Col. Eli Bar On
      Legal Advisor of Judea and Samaria PO Box 5
      Beth El 90631
      Fax: +972 2 9977326

*Write to your own elected representatives urging them to pressure
Israel to release the hunger strikers.