[Ppnews] Puerto Rico Conference - Support for Palestine and Palestinian Political Prisoners

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Dec 18 10:24:56 EST 2012

ENCUENTRO SOBRE DERECHOS HUMANOS 2012
POR LA EXCARCELACIÓN DE OSCAR LÓPEZ RIVERA
Y A LA MEMORIA DEL JURISTA JUAN SANTIAGO NIEVES,
CELEBRADO EN LA UNIVERSIDAD DE SAGRADO CORAZÓN,
SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO DEL 7 AL 10 DE DICIEMBRE DE 2012
RESOLUTION

WHEREAS Israel was established in 1948 by European funded Zionist
militias which employed racist
violence against the native Palestinian People to cause their death, the
destruction of over 450 cities and
villages, and the expulsion of over 700,000 Palestinians from their
original homes and lands;

WHEREAS Israel then implemented a series of laws aimed at dispossessing
the Palestinians, preventing
their return to their homes, and denying the basic rights of
Palestinians who remained in the 1948 territories,
for the purpose of creating an apartheid system under which Palestinians
are denied the right to own
property, to marry freely and be united with their families, in
contravention of UN Resolution 194;

WHEREAS Israel has occupied the Gaza Strip and West Bank territories
since the Six- Day War of 1967,
immediately after which Israel began to erect settlements on the
occupied lands of Gaza and the West Bank
in contravention UN resolution 242;

WHEREAS the Government of Israel still maintains Israeli Occupation
forces to continue and expand the
dispossession, imprisonment and exile of the Palestinians so as to
facilitate land confiscation by expansion
of Israeli, “Jewish only” roads and settlements as part of its ethnic
cleansing of the Palestinian People, and
denies Palestinian Christians and Muslims access to houses of worship
and deprives them of their rights to
freedom of worship in violtion of the Geneva Conventions;

WHEREAS the Israeli government by way of continued dispossession, ethnic
cleansing, siege, and violence
continues to expel the Palestinian Population such that approximately
two-thirds of the Palestinian are
refugees, internally displaced, or live in exile;

WHEREAS the withdrawal of Israeli Occupation Forces and settlements from
the Gaza Strip in August
2005 were followed by increased Israeli control of Gaza’s borders, sea
and airspace, public utilities, the
public registry, and Gaza’s internal economy, and in 2006 escalated to
total blockade and siege on the Gaza
Strip which according to the UN Report entitled, “Palestine 2020,” faces
a grave humanitarian crisis, mass
shortages of human food and health supplies and will become unlivable as
a result of the Israeli blockade;

WHEREAS the Israeli Occupation Forces have continued to attack and bomb
the Palestinian People,
institutions and infrastructure in Gaza since 2006, with grave
escalation of these attacks in December 2008
wherein over 1400 Palestinians were killed and again, beginning November
14 2012, for eight (8) days
killing over 160 Palestinians, wounding hundreds more, and again
destroying institutions only recently
restored;

WHEREAS, Israel continues to abduct and currently holds over 4,600
Palestinians as political prisoners,
including men, women and over 160 children, over half of whom have not
been tried or otherwise tried by
secret evidence in Military Tribunals,

WHEREAS, one out of every four Palestinians living in the West Bank and
Gaza has been subject to
political arrest or detention, including 40% of Palestinian men from the
West Bank and Gaza, all of whom
are subject to psychological and physical torture, as directed by a
series of over 1500 Israeli military
regulations in violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention, and

WHEREAS, Palestinian Leaders and Legislative Council members including
Ahmad Sa'adat and Marwan
Barghouti, are systematically targeted for political arrest and
imprisonment by the Israeli government and
the Palestinian Authority, and

WHEREAS, almost three-thousand (3,000) Palestinian Prisoners launched a
hunger strike in April of 2012
demanding the end of administrative detention and dignified treatment of
Political Prisoners, and five (5)
prisoners remain on Hunger Strike including administrative detainees
Ayman Sharawna, on hunger strike
for 158 days, and Samir Al-Issawi, on hunger strike for 127 days; and

WHEREAS, political imprisonment has been one part of a deliberate
strategy to deprive Palestinians of
their leaders, educators, writers, journalists, clergy, unionists, and
popular activists from all political
orientations, as part of the dispossession and repression of the
Palestinian Arab people in the interests of
colonialism and occupation for over sixty years, including the denial of
millions of Palestinian refugees' right
to return home, and

WHEREAS, there are numerous political prisoners in United States jails,
veterans of Black, Puerto Rican,
Latino, Arab, and other liberation movements, including Puerto Rican
political prisoners struggling against
U.S. colonialism, and Palestinian, Arab and Muslim political prisoners
struggling against Israel’s colonialism,
and

WHEREAS, the political imprisonment, military occupation, expansion of
settlements and maintenance of
Apartheid systems in all parts of Palestine is made possible by the
billions of dollars in economic and
military support as well as the vast political and diplomatic support
given to Israel by the United States,

THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that we condemn all manifestations of
institutionalized racism and
colonialism by the Israeli and American governments;

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that we call for the immediate freedom of all
Palestinian political prisoners
and detainees, held in U.S. and Israeli jails;

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that we call for an immediate end to the
selective and predatory
prosecutions of political activists in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Palestine;

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that we shall actively work for the immediate
freedom of all political
prisoners in U.S. jails, including the Oscar Lopez Rivera, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that we uphold and recognize the inalienable
right of Palestinians to resist
occupation, oppression and massacres, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that we call on the U.N. and people across the
world to support the call
for Academic, Cultural and Consumer Boycott Divestment and Sanctions
against Israel for its repeated
violations of International Law and its War Crimes against the
Palestinian People;

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that we shall endeavor to issue statements, hold
events and otherwise
publicize the cases of Palestinian political prisoners and detainees, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that we shall endeavor to support the struggles
and organizing of
Palestinian political prisoners, and the work of activists and
organizations on the ground working for justice
and freedom for Palestinian political prisoners, and

BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED, that we shall support, through events,
statements, delegations and
advocacy, the cause of freedom for which these thousands of prisoners
are held – the right to selfdetermination,
liberation and return for all Palestinians in exile and in all of
historic Palestine.
In San Juan, Puerto Rico, December 10th, 2012.