[Ppnews] Must Read - Tarek Mehanna's Sentencing Statement 4/12

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sat Apr 14 18:14:34 EDT 2012

Read to Judge O’Toole during his sentencing, April 12th 2012.

In the name of God the most gracious the most merciful

Exactly four years ago this month I was finishing
my work shift at a local hospital. As I was
walking to my car I was approached by two federal
agents. They said that I had a choice to make: I
could do things the easy way, or I could do them
the hard way. The “easy “ way, as they explained,
was that I would become an informant for the
government, and if I did so I would never see the
inside of a courtroom or a prison cell. As for
the hard way, this is it. Here I am, having spent
the majority of the four years since then in a
solitary cell the size of a small closet, in
which I am locked down for 23 hours each day. The
FBI and these prosecutors worked very hard—and
the government spent millions of tax dollars – to
put me in that cell, keep me there, put me on
trial, and finally to have me stand here before
you today to be sentenced to even more time in a cell.

In the weeks leading up to this moment, many
people have offered suggestions as to what I
should say to you. Some said I should plead for
mercy in hopes of a light sentence, while others
suggested I would be hit hard either way. But
what I want to do is just talk about myself for a few minutes.

When I refused to become an informant, the
government responded by charging me with the
“crime” of supporting the mujahideen fighting the
occupation of Muslim countries around the world.
Or as they like to call them, “terrorists.” I
wasn’t born in a Muslim country, though. I was
born and raised right here in America and this
angers many people: how is it that I can be an
American and believe the things I believe, take
the positions I take? Everything a man is exposed
to in his environment becomes an ingredient that
shapes his outlook, and I’m no different.  So, in
more ways than one, it’s because of America that I am who I am.

When I was six, I began putting together a
massive collection of comic books. Batman
implanted a concept in my mind, introduced me to
a paradigm as to how the world is set up: that
there are oppressors, there are the oppressed,
and there are those who step up to defend the
oppressed. This resonated with me so much that
throughout the rest of my childhood, I gravitated
towards any book that reflected that paradigm –
Uncle Tom’s Cabin, The Autobiography of Malcolm
X, and I even saw an ethical dimension to The Catcher in the Rye.

By the time I began high school and took a real
history class, I was learning just how real that
paradigm is in the world. I learned about the
Native Americans and what befell them at the
hands of European settlers. I learned about how
the descendents of those European settlers were
in turn oppressed under the tyranny of King
George III. I read about Paul Revere, Tom Paine,
and how Americans began an armed insurgency
against British forces – an insurgency we now
celebrate as the American revolutionary war. As a
kid I even went on school field trips just blocks
away from where we sit now. I learned about
Harriet Tubman, Nat Turner, John Brown, and the
fight against slavery in this country. I learned
about Emma Goldman, Eugene Debs, and the
struggles of the labor unions, working class, and
poor. I learned about Anne Frank, the Nazis, and
how they persecuted minorities and imprisoned
dissidents. I learned about Rosa Parks, Malcolm
X, Martin Luther King, and the civil rights
struggle. I learned about Ho Chi Minh, and how
the Vietnamese fought for decades to liberate
themselves from one invader after another. I
learned about Nelson Mandela and the fight
against apartheid in South Africa. Everything I
learned in those years confirmed what I was
beginning to learn when I was six: that
throughout history, there has been a constant
struggle between the oppressed and their
oppressors. With each struggle I learned about, I
found myself consistently siding with the
oppressed, and consistently respecting those who
stepped up to defend them -regardless of
nationality, regardless of religion. And I never
threw my class notes away. As I stand here
speaking, they are in a neat pile in my bedroom closet at home.

 From all the historical figures I learned about,
one stood out above the rest. I was impressed by
many things about Malcolm X, but above all, I was
fascinated by the idea of transformation, his
transformation. I don’t know if you’ve seen the
movie “X” by Spike Lee, it’s over three and a
half hours long, and the Malcolm at the beginning
is different from the Malcolm at the end. He
starts off as an illiterate criminal, but ends up
a husband, a father, a protective and eloquent
leader for his people, a disciplined Muslim
performing the Hajj in Makkah, and finally, a
martyr. Malcolm’s life taught me that Islam is
not something inherited; it’s not a culture or
ethnicity. It’s a way of life, a state of mind
anyone can choose no matter where they come from
or how they were raised. This led me to look
deeper into Islam, and I was hooked. I was just a
teenager, but Islam answered the question that
the greatest scientific minds were clueless
about, the question that drives the rich & famous
to depression and suicide from being unable to
answer: what is the purpose of life? Why do we
exist in this Universe? But it also answered the
question of how we’re supposed to exist. And
since there’s no hierarchy or priesthood, I could
directly and immediately begin digging into the
texts of the Qur’an and the teachings of Prophet
Muhammad, to begin the journey of understanding
what this was all about, the implications of
Islam for me as a human being, as an individual,
for the people around me, for the world; and the
more I learned, the more I valued Islam like a
piece of gold. This was when I was a teen, but
even today, despite the pressures of the last few
years, I stand here before you, and everyone else
in this courtroom, as a very proud Muslim.

With that, my attention turned to what was
happening to other Muslims in different parts of
the world. And everywhere I looked, I saw the
powers that be trying to destroy what I loved. I
learned what the Soviets had done to the Muslims
of Afghanistan. I learned what the Serbs had done
to the Muslims of Bosnia. I learned what the
Russians were doing to the Muslims of Chechnya. I
learned what Israel had done in Lebanon – and
what it continues to do in Palestine – with the
full backing of the United States. And I learned
what America itself was doing to Muslims. I
learned about the Gulf War, and the depleted
uranium bombs that killed thousands and caused
cancer rates to skyrocket across Iraq. I learned
about the American-led sanctions that prevented
food, medicine, and medical equipment from
entering Iraq, and how – according to the United
Nations – over half a million children perished
as a result. I remember a clip from a ‘60
Minutes’ interview of Madeline Albright where she
expressed her view that these dead children were
“worth it.” I watched on September 11th as a
group of people felt driven to hijack airplanes
and fly them into buildings from their outrage at
the deaths of these children. I watched as
America then attacked and invaded Iraq directly.
I saw the effects of ‘Shock & Awe’ in the opening
day of the invasion – the children in hospital
wards with shrapnel from American missiles
sticking out of their foreheads (of course, none
of this was shown on CNN).  I learned about the
town of Haditha, where 24 Muslims – including a
76-year old man in a wheelchair, women, and even
toddlers – were shot up and blown up in their
bedclothes as the slept by US Marines. I learned
about Abeer al-Janabi, a fourteen-year old Iraqi
girl gang-raped by five American soldiers, who
then shot her and her family in the head, then
set fire to their corpses. I just want to point
out, as you can see, Muslim women don’t even show
their hair to unrelated men. So try to imagine
this young girl from a conservative village with
her dress torn off, being sexually assaulted by
not one, not two, not three, not four, but five
soldiers. Even today, as I sit in my jail cell, I
read about the drone strikes which continue to
kill Muslims daily in places like Pakistan,
Somalia, and Yemen. Just last month, we all heard
about the seventeen Afghan Muslims – mostly
mothers and their kids – shot to death by an
American soldier, who also set fire to their
corpses. These are just the stories that make it
to the headlines, but one of the first concepts I
learned in Islam is that of loyalty, of
brotherhood – that each Muslim woman is my
sister, each man is my brother, and together, we
are one large body who must protect each other.
In other words, I couldn’t see these things
beings done to my brothers & sisters – including
by America – and remain neutral. My sympathy for
the oppressed continued, but was now more
personal, as was my respect for those defending them.

I mentioned Paul Revere – when he went on his
midnight ride, it was for the purpose of warning
the people that the British were marching to
Lexington to arrest Sam Adams and John Hancock,
then on to Concord to confiscate the weapons
stored there by the Minuteman. By the time they
got to Concord, they found the Minuteman waiting
for them, weapons in hand. They fired at the
British, fought them, and beat them. From that
battle came the American Revolution. There’s an
Arabic word to describe what those Minutemen did
that day. That word is: JIHAD, and this is what
my trial was about. All those videos and
translations and childish bickering over ‘Oh, he
translated this paragraph’ and ‘Oh, he edited
that sentence,’ and all those exhibits revolved
around a single issue: Muslims who were defending
themselves against American soldiers doing to
them exactly what the British did to America. It
was made crystal clear at trial that I never,
ever plotted to “kill Americans” at shopping
malls or whatever the story was. The government’s
own witnesses contradicted this claim, and we put
expert after expert up on that stand, who spent
hours dissecting my every written word, who
explained my beliefs. Further, when I was free,
the government sent an undercover agent to prod
me into one of their little “terror plots,” but I
refused to participate. Mysteriously, however, the jury never heard this.

So, this trial was not about my position on
Muslims killing American civilians. It was about
my position on Americans killing Muslim
civilians, which is that Muslims should defend
their lands from foreign invaders – Soviets,
Americans, or Martians. This is what I believe.
It’s what I’ve always believed, and what I will
always believe. This is not terrorism, and it’s
not extremism. it’s the simple logic of
self-defense. It’s what the arrows on that seal
above your head represent: defense of the
homeland. So, I disagree with my lawyers when
they say that you don’t have to agree with my
beliefs – no. Anyone with commonsense and
humanity has no choice but to agree with me. If
someone breaks into your home to rob you and harm
your family, logic dictates that you do whatever
it takes to expel that invader from your home.
But when that home is a Muslim land, and that
invader is the US military, for some reason the
standards suddenly change. Common sense is
renamed “terrorism” and the people defending
themselves against those who come to kill them
from across the ocean become “the terrorists” who
are “killing Americans.” The mentality that
America was victimized with when British soldiers
walked these streets 2 ½ centuries ago is the
same mentality Muslims are victimized by as
American soldiers walk their streets today. It’s
the mentality of colonialism. When Sgt. Bales
shot those Afghans to death last month, all of
the focus in the media was on him—his life, his
stress, his PTSD, the mortgage on his home—as if
he was the victim. Very little sympathy was
expressed for the people he actually killed, as
if they’re not real, they’re not humans.
Unfortunately, this mentality trickles down to
everyone in society, whether or not they realize
it. Even with my lawyers, it took nearly two
years of discussing, explaining, and clarifying
before they were finally able to think outside
the box and at least ostensibly accept the logic
in what I was saying. Two years! If it took that
long for people so intelligent, whose job it is
to defend me, to de-program themselves, then to
throw me in front of a randomly selected jury
under the premise that they’re my “impartial
peers,” I mean, come on. I wasn’t tried before a
jury of my peers because with the mentality
gripping America today, I have no peers. Counting
on this fact, the government prosecuted me – not
because they needed to, but simply because they could.

I learned one more thing in history class:
America has historically supported the most
unjust policies against its minorities –
practices that were even protected by the law –
only to look back later and ask: ‘what were we
thinking?’ Slavery, Jim Crow, the internment of
the Japanese during World War II – each was
widely accepted by American society, each was
defended by the Supreme Court. But as time passed
and America changed, both people and courts
looked back and asked ‘What were we thinking?’
Nelson Mandela was considered a terrorist by the
South African government, and given a life
sentence. But time passed, the world changed,
they realized how oppressive their policies were,
that it was not he who was the terrorist, and
they released him from prison. He even became
president. So, everything is subjective – even
this whole business of “terrorism” and who is a
“terrorist.” It all depends on the time and place
and who the superpower happens to be at the moment.

In your eyes, I’m a terrorist, I’m the only one
standing here in an orange jumpsuit and it’s
perfectly reasonable that I be standing here in
an orange jumpsuit. But one day, America will
change and people will recognize this day for
what it is. They will look at how hundreds of
thousands of Muslims were killed and maimed by
the US military in foreign countries, yet somehow
I’m the one going to prison for “conspiring to
kill and maim” in those countries – because I
support the Mujahidin defending those people.
They will look back on how the government spent
millions of dollars to imprison me as a
“terrorist,” yet if we were to somehow bring
Abeer al-Janabi back to life in the moment she
was being gang-raped by your soldiers, to put her
on that witness stand and ask her who the
“terrorists” are, she sure wouldn’t be pointing at me.

The government says that I was obsessed with
violence, obsessed with “killing Americans.” But,
as a Muslim living in these times, I can think of a lie no more ironic.

-Tarek Mehanna

4/12/12