[Ppnews] Friends and Supporters of Jalil Muntaqim Harassed, Targeted, and Intimidated

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Apr 4 17:55:46 EDT 2012

Friends and Supporters of Jalil Muntaqim Harassed, Targeted, and Intimidated

Since Jalil’s arrival at Attica Correctional
Facility in March 2011, a number of statements
have been made about the continued and frequent
harassment of his visitors. Despite filing
numerous official reports, Jalil’s visitors have
repeatedly endured undue questioning,
inappropriate remarks, destruction of personal
property, and denial of entry at the hands of Attica guards.

On June 5, 2012, this harassment was redirected
toward Jalil when he had his cell searched and
was charged with “unauthorized organization.”
Denied all of his witnesses, Jalil was sentenced
to 6 months in SHU for the possession of two
photographs of an academic event in which a Black
Panther banner was hung in the background. These
photos served as the sole evidence of his “unlawful” behavior.

On March 28, this sentence was reversed in an
appeal, and Jalil was immediately taken to
general population. He is there now, and
considers this reversal a victory for all who
stood in solidarity with him, and demanded his release.

However, it appears as if the harassment of Jalil
and his supporters has not stopped. Just last
week, a visitor was denied entry because he
"smelled like marijuana"--which was impossible.

I have been visiting Jalil weekly for two years,
and have been actively supporting the reversal of
the SHU sentence and his release on parole. This
past December, I experienced two car break-ins
within only 3 weeks. The first time, there was no
sign of forced entry, nothing of value taken
(despite a digital camera being in my car), and
every one of my envelopes and folders were opened
and strewn throughout both front and back seats.
Each compartment within the car, the gas tank,
and the trunk were left open, and two photographs
of me and Jalil were left face-up on my passenger seat.

The second time this happened, on Christmas
morning, the car was left in the exact same
condition, except that a back window had been
smashed out, and a hubcap removed and put into my
trunk. 3 lug nuts were visibly loose on a rear
wheel, and the two photographs of me and Jalil
were once again pulled out of the dash and placed on my
passenger seat. Jalil was placed in SHU within
weeks of this last break-in, and was released on March 29.

On Sunday, April 1 I moved into a new apartment
in a quiet, residential neighborhood. On the
morning of Tuesday, April 3, I found my car in
the exact state I had seen twice before. Despite
no sign of break-in and previously locked doors,
my car was entirely ransacked. Mail collected
from the day before was opened, all bags turned
inside out, the underside of my seats dug out,
and the photographs missing. My passport and
computer were moved, but still not taken.

US law enforcement has a history of harassing the
family, friends, and supporters of political
prisoners. When it cannot continue to be done
within prison walls, the intimidation often
extends into our personal lives. And, it would
come as no surprise to discover that these
attempts at intimidation are being undertaken by
people who wish to hinder and halt actions being
taken to support Jalil and his release on parole.

This message is both a notification and a call:
we know that this kind of targeting is not
infrequent, and would like to reach out to other
supporters or loved ones of political prisoners
who have experienced similar attempts at
intimidation—especially recently. The only way to
stop illegal surveillance being carried out in the dark is to shine a
light on it, Jalil said today, so we’re asking
that others with similar stories speak about them
so that we can more carefully support one another.

I can be contacted at freejalilmuntaqim at gmail.com
FREE THEM ALL!
-Brooke