[Ppnews] Lesson from South Africa: Support the political prisoners

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Sep 28 15:40:51 EDT 2011

Lesson from South Africa: Support the political prisoners

Submitted by Adri Nieuwhof on Wed, 09/28/2011 - 13:10
http://electronicintifada.net/blog/adri-nieuwhof/lesson-south-africa-support-political-prisoners

Last week, I discussed with Ghadija Vallie the
lessons learned from resistance in apartheid
South Africa, particularly involving political
prisoners. Ghadija coordinated the Western Cape
Relief Fund that supported prisoners on
<http://www.robben-island.org.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=9>Robben
Island, a maximum security prison for political
prisoners in apartheid South Africa. Vallie also
worked with most prisons in the Western Cape
province and visited political prisoners on death row.

The Western Cape Relief Fund (WCRF) was founded
in 1985 when the apartheid regime once again
declared a State of Emergency. Ghadija acted as a
coordinator between lawyers, detained persons and
their families, NGOs and donors. People of
diverse backgrounds who were committed to the
resistance joined forces to build the WCRF from
scratch. The European Community supported the
work of the WCRF through the Holland Committee on
Southern Africa. I was involved in providing this support.

South Africa persecuted anti-apartheid activists
under
<http://www.disa.ukzn.ac.za/webpages/DC/renov85.4/renov85.4.pdf>section
29 of the Internal Security Act. Ghadija tells
me: “Normally the South African forces came
during the night while people were asleep, when
they are the most vulnerable. They would be taken
from their homes and detained. People could
disappear without a trace. They could be held in
solitary confinement, were tortured. Then after
months, people could suddenly appear in court or were traced in a hospital.”

The detention-related practices in apartheid
South Africa under section 29 are similar to
Israel’s practice of
<http://addameer.info/?p=712#more-712>administrative
detention. The WCRF was founded to meet the needs
of detainees held under section 29. The climate
changed when the
<http://overcomingapartheid.msu.edu/multimedia.php?id=23>State
of Emergency was declared in July 1985. “We
decided to serve these prisoners as well. If
possible, the WCRF would pay for the bail of
activists who were awaiting trial. The fund
evolved into an organization that served all
political prisoners and their families.”

I showed Vallie letters I received from
Palestinian prisoners, including a letter from
Ali. He wrote: “I was surprised when I got your
letter, because it didn’t take a long time as the
‘prison time’, where is no value for time. (..) I
became 46 years old and 23 years of my life I’m
in prison, so I am enough experienced.(..) Today,
we live with eight prisoners in cells of about 20
square meters. The cell includes a bathroom and
shower. We have to stay in the cell 20 hours a
day. We eat, sleep, watch television, study, have
a bath,
all in the same cell. But all those years, hope still exists.”

Vallie comments: “Why do we keep talking about
Nelson Mandela who spent 27 years in prison. Why
don’t we speak about the Palestinian political
prisoners who are also spending so many years in jail?”

I asked Vallie about campaigns in support of the
South African political prisoners. She explained
that there was an ongoing “Release the Detainees
Campaign”. “Our political leaders from inside and
outside South Africa gave directions for the
campaigns. We called for the release of our
leaders since the 1950s. Prisoners went on hunger
strike. It is important that prisoners know that
they are not forgotten. We did a lot of work for
women and child prisoners; they are more vulnerable.”

Hunger strikes have also been used by Palestinian
prisoners to protest against Israel’s prison
regime. Ali wrote me about the hunger strike in
1992: “At that time we were 13,000 Palestinian
political prisoners in Israeli jails. 20 days we
did not eat or drink anything except water. One
of my friends from Jerusalem died at the last day
of the strike. Our demands were to improve our
life conditions in prisons, such as studying at
open university (to be paid for by our families).
The food was so bad we demanded to improve it and
to raise the amount of it because it was not
enough for us. For example, I was suffering from
malnutrition. I still suffer from its consequences.”

Vallie thinks that support by South Africans in
exile for resistance differed from that of
Palestinians today. For example, exiled ANC
members protested in front of South African
embassies.
<http://www.sahistory.org.za/people/professor-kader-asmal>Kader
Asmal, who died this year, played a key role in
the International Defence and Aid Fund that
raised financial support for the political prisoners, tells Vallie.

She continues: “Sometimes activities just
happened. For example, when former British Prime
Minister Margaret Thatcher’s son went missing in
the desert during the Paris-Dakar rally in 1982,
Thatcher asked people to pray for him. At that
time, women with relatives in detention or
awaiting trial held a meeting in Cape Town. One
woman said: ‘Thatcher is crying for one child,
but we are crying for a nation of children who
are held in prison.’ On the spot we decided to
march to the British embassy and deliver that message to Thatcher.”

“When family members of prisoners or ex-detainees
came to my office to ask for support, we cried
together. Then I would say, ‘What can you do to
change it?’ And people became active, protested
outside court and detention centers, informed the
media, and found ways to communicate with the
prisoners inside. It is so important that
prisoners know that they are not forgotten. I
found ways to deliver messages to prisoners on
Robben Island. Some guards were helpful. I am
still in touch with Christo Brand, Nelson
Mandela’s prison guard who became a friend of Mandela”, says Vallie.

“The Palestinian people need to tell us how they
feel which support should be given. They know,
they live under oppression, they feel the pain.
They must drive the vehicle to change this”, adds
Vallie. “Sometimes the vehicle needs a bit of a
push. International solidarity activists can
assist in the pushing of the vehicle.”

This week, Palestinian prisoners announced the
start of a
<http://www.imemc.org/article/62131>campaign of
disobedience to protest an escalating series of
punitive measures taken against them by the
Israeli Prison Service (IPS) in recent months.
Prisoners have decided to undertake a hunger
strike on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday of
every week beginning this week. Prisoners have
also declared that their campaign will include a
range of other forms of disobedience, including
refusal to wear prison uniforms, to participate
in the daily roll call, or to cooperate with any
other IPS demands. Addameer Prisoner Support and
Human Rights Association calls for solidarity
with the striking prisoners. Let’s give the vehicle a push!