[Ppnews] Troy Anthony Davis and Useless Leadership

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Sep 28 12:28:31 EDT 2011

Troy Anthony Davis and Useless Leadership

http://imixwhatilike.com/2011/09/28/troy-anthony-davis-and-useless-leadership/
September 28, 2011 at 1:13 pm

The grotesque spectacle of Georgia’s final
execution of Troy Davis may have been politically
useful to the pretenders to the mantel of Black
leadership, but in the end the misleadership
class proved useless to Troy. “My last words
would have been to spread out, break those ranks
and let Sharpton, Barack and Jealous know, no
more show time for you and the God you keep
praising as all ‘capable’ when he can’t keep me from the poison.”

<http://www.blackagendareport.com/content/troy-anthony-davis-and-useless-leadership>DOWNLOAD/STREAM/RE-BROADCAST
THE ENTIRE BLACK AGENDA RADIO COMMENTARY HERE!

Troy Anthony Davis and Useless Leadership

Jared Ball

Not long after the 4 hour additional torture
imposed on Troy Davis by the Supreme Court, and
after the final word came that Troy was dead, I
got a phone call from an angry friend.  He began
by asking, “what is the value in electing or
investing support for a leadership that cannot
stop even this?  What is the value in investing
support behind these so-called ‘movements’ that
benefit useless leadership more than the people
they claim to be moving for?”  And then he said,
“Troy was definitely a better man than me.”

“Word?” I asked.  “That’s my word,” he said.  He
took a breath to calm himself and went
on.  “First of all, his last words were praise to
his supporters and all those gathered around the
world.  Then he had words of encouragement for
the family of the cop he didn’t kill.  No way
man.  I would have been of no use.”  That line
struck me.  “What do you mean, ‘no use’?”  I
asked.  “Everyone knows he didn’t do it,” he went
on.  “Everyone knows it and yet they all use him
while he dies in convenient
fashion.”  “Convenient fashion?  That’s deep my
man,” I said.  “Did you watch the coverage on
Democracy Now! last night?” he asked.  “Every
minute,” I said.  “Then you know what I
mean.  The cop’s family got polite support from a
man from whom they gained closure, the activists
got praise from a man they were too soft to save,
and Amy Goodman’s people got love for doing what
they should have been doing for at least 10 years.”

“I thought they did an ok job.”  I responded.  He
laughed a little.  “You notice how it is on the
night Troy is killed that they gave more
attention to his case than during the entire 20
years of his incarceration.  And how often do
they talk about the associated issues of mass
Black imprisonment?”  “Ok,” I said.  But he went
on, increasingly angered, “What you saw was
spectacle.  Amy Goodman used his death like CNN
used Desert Storm.  You heard her say, ‘and we
are the only ones here covering the
moment.’  Just like CNN she was locking up 10
more years of support from the Left as the major
media.”  “She didn’t do some good with coverage?”
I asked.  “Whatever good she did was useless to
Troy and useless to the rest of us.  And look
what she did the next day; went right back to her
real top stories, Israel and Palestine and mainstream journalist book writers.”

“But that wouldn’t have worked with me,” he
continued.  “Because I would have used my last
words to tell them to go home, to go back to the
stories you prefer.  I don’t want to become a
fund-raiser for you.  You didn’t tell my story
enough or in ways to get your audience to get me
out, I am about to die anyway, so to me, you are
useless.”  “In fact,” he said, with even more
venom in his voice, “I would have told everyone
gathered out front, everyone listening to
whatever media was covering me, that they should
go become a problem, the kind of problem that
keeps me alive or gets me out.  Make them storm
trooper cops need that gear they brought to the
rally.  Tell them that I won’t be the only one to
transition tonight.  But don’t use me to add to
your phony activist credentials.  If those
t-shirts you have on mean something and we indeed
are ‘all Troy Davis’ then we all should be prepared to die tonight.”

He noticed my silent discomfort.  He sensed my
fear of my own politics.  But he was angry and
relentless.  “My last words would have been to
spread out, break those ranks and let Sharpton,
Brock and Jealous know, no more show time for you
and the God you keep praising as all ‘capable’
when he can’t keep me from the poison.  Your God
is useless.  We don’t praise the same one, if we
praise one at all.  My God wouldn’t let me and
mine suffer while others use that suffering to
enrich and reposition themselves.”  “I feel you,”
I said.  “And it was even more infuriating to
listen to them apologize for Obama’s inability to
inter
” I could not even finish the sentence.

“Obama’s uselessness was so evident and
emblematic” he interrupted.  “His supporters want
to let him off the hook but Davis’ case already
had federal precedent and he could have applied
the 8th or 14th amendments to halt the
execution.  A Black president, a Black attorney
general, a Black supreme court justice, two Black
men on the Georgia parole board, all the Black
civil rights glitterati and still nothing could
be done.  It is final proof, if we still needed
it, of the uselessness of what is called ‘leadership’.”

I agree but only wish I had the courage to say it myself.

For Black Agenda Radio I’m Jared Ball.  On the web go to BlackAgendaReport.com.

Dr. <http://imixwhatilike.com/316-2/>Jared A.
Ball is an associate professor of communication
studies at Morgan State University in Baltimore
and is the author of I Mix What I Like! A Mixtape
Manifesto (AK Press).  He can be found online at:
<http://www.imixwhatilike.com/>IMIXWHATILIKE.COM.