[Ppnews] How the hunger strike started for me

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Sep 26 21:11:22 EDT 2011

Letter from Pelican Bay- Alfred Sandoval

8/29/2011 from FB

I received your postcard so I thought I'd answer your question as to
how the hunger strike started for me. Well, I've been in the S.H.U.
since July of 1987 so I've lived through a lot of physical as well as
psychological abuses. I was originally placed in S.H.U. at San
Quentin's Adjustment Center. The first thing I noticed as I was being
escorted past the Sgt.'s office was a caricature of a boar hog
dressed in a C/O's uniform holding a noose with a hammer hanging from
it posted on the wall. So, being Mexican I knew what time it was.
Slowly, the blatant racism was pushed into the politically correct
broom closet but it's never been thrown out.

In 2003, I was returned from court to Pelican Bay and told in no
uncertain terms that I would die here.

When PBSP created the control unit (short corridor) in early 2006,
the goal of the Office of Correctional Safety (OCS) was made
perfectly clear: Debrief or die! They implemented orders to the short
corridor C/O staff to apply pressure to targeted prisoners and the
gang unit (IGI) became the overseers of the control unit and began to
target prisoners' families and friends and attempt to create discord
by mixing up mail, withholding and delaying personal mail and
restricting visits for as little as saying hello to another prisoner.
Their goal is to isolate these targeted prisoners. I had never
believed in hunger strikes, thinking that they're counter-productive.
However, when the gang unit began to work in concert with the chief
medical officer (the I.G.I. actually decides the level of medical
treatment prisoners in the short corridor receive) I decided to
participate in this and the next hunger strike, but here's why:

A few years ago, a close friend, his name was Jimmy, developed
cancer. The medical staff, M.T.A.'s and R.N.'s explained that if he's
debrief, become an informant, he would receive better medical care.
Now Jimmy and I had known each other since we were teenagers running
the streets of East Los Angeles getting high and living the lifestyle
that ended up with both of us in prison for life. As Jimmy's cancer
grew worse, he began chemo therapy. Jimmy mentioned to me how the
I.G.I. would "show up" at the clinic and comment that he could have
contact visits with he wife before he died if he'd debrief. He
refused but that's how he found out the cancer was terminal! Jimmy
loved his wife more than anything and he wouldn't tell her everything
about the head games and bullshit like waking up from surgery still
under anesthesia being questioned by I.G.I. but I had warned him of
that because it happened to me and at least three other prisoners.
After one of the surgeries, Jimmy was returned to his cell after a
brief stay at the PBSP infirmary. (Those cells are completely bare
except for a bed and all you can do is lay there and wait). On the
second night bac k in his cell, he awoke to a bed pain. He said it
was a little after 2 a.m. and the staples had opened along his
abdomen and he was bleeding. He was holding his intestines in calling
for the C/O. The C/O came and saw the blood and said he'd call the
R.N. on duty. The C/O came back approximately 30 minutes later with a
roll of toilet paper. Jimmy was sitting on the blood-covered cement
floor holding a towel soaked in blood against his stomach. The cop
tossed Jimmy the toilet paper and said the medical staff would not
come until the next shift and there was nothing he could do. Jimmy
held his stomach close din pain until almost six a.m. when the
medical finally came and they rushed him to the hospital. He asked
that I keep it to myself because that was his style. I was pissed!!
He had requested two hardship transfers to Corcoran because of its
medical facility and he'd be able to see his wife and family more
before he died. Both were denied and he was told to debrief and then
he'd be transferred but he steadfastly refused. The cancer spread and
the gang unit increased the headgames telling the medical staff to
confiscate his shaded prescription glasses. But luckily, a Doctor
Williams stepped in and told the medical staff to leave Jimmy alone
as he was at end state cancer. Jimmy chose to stop the chemo therapy
and die. We'd talk through a steel door and discuss everything and
nothing and plan out his funeral. He died in December of 2010 and I
am proud and honored to have been his friend.

Shortly after Jimmy's death I was told that approximately 8 of the
older prisoners had been approved for transfer to the S.H.U. medical
facility at New Folsom but the gang unit had those transfers stopped
citing that those prisoners, all in their 60s and 70s years old, had
not successfully completed the debriefing or in-active process
thereby issuing a death sentence to all of these prisoners and
denying adequate medical care.

I am 53 years old with incurable illnesses, Hep-C and Crohn's disease
so I am participating in the hunger strike to expose how prisoners
are being mistreated and medical treatment withheld as a coercement tactic.

The abuses, physical and psychological, the intimidations and
harassments have very well documented history here at Pelican Bay
State Prison. They should speak for itself.

* Early 1990 rumors of abuses at PBSP SHU come to light. The prison
opens doors to media tour

* 1995 rumors of abuses citing C/O's extracting prisoners from their
cells, stripping them naked and leaving them hogtied in the cold
cells and on the cement yard over night. Prison opens doors to media tours

* 1998 C/O's accused of setting up inmates opening cell doors in SHU

* 2001 prisoners began hunger strike to change debriefing process as
it was not legal! Promises were made, Castillo case settled and
reworded to be used against prisoners. Prison opens doors to media tours

* 2006 California Inspector General office issues memo for media
release citing their investigation exposed that the PBSP internal
affairs would avoid finding staff misconduct on excessive use of
force and that some changes had been made but more are needed

During this hunger strike, prisoners have been threatened with
"progressive discipline" which means the prisoners' property will be
taken out of the cells and they will only be allowed a pair of shower
shoes and a pair of underwear until the administration deems the
prisoner as "programming." The warden had a staff meeting before the
last hunger strike telling staff that he would ignore the hunger
strikers, which he did, violating the CDCR regulations and allowing
prisoners to become ill. Grievances were returned unprocessed so it
never happened.

That is Pelican Bay State Prison.

So now you know why I participate in the hunger strike.

Thank you for your time.

Alfred Sandoval
D#61000
Pelican Bay State Prison