[Ppnews] Nationwide condemnation of Irvine 11 convictions

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Sep 26 18:34:51 EDT 2011

Nationwide condemnation of Irvine 11 convictions by student and activist groups

Submitted by nora on Mon, 09/26/2011 - 19:54
http://electronicintifada.net/blog/nora/nationwide-condemnation-irvine-11-convictions-student-and-activist-groups

Immediately following the
<http://electronicintifada.net/blog/nora/irvine-11-sentenced-community-service-no-jailtime-attorneys-prepare-appeal>convictions
of the Irvine 11 students last Friday, student
and activism groups across the US have condemned
the guilty verdicts while pledging to stand in
solidarity with the
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/irvine-11>Irvine
11, defend free speech and protect the right to dissent.

More than 30 Students for Justice in Palestine
(SJP) university chapters nationwide
<http://sjpnational.org/2011/09/25/stand-irvine-11/>signed
onto a pledge over the weekend that stated, in full:

We join our voices with the unjustly charged and
convicted Irvine 11, who dared to draw attention
to Israel’s war crimes. Orange County District
Attorney, Tony Rackauckus, has punished students
who care about the world enough to try to change
it. The 11 students
<http://electronicintifada.net/content/us-students-face-jail-time-disrupting-israeli-officials-speech/9252>refused
to remain silent when Israeli Ambassador Michael
Oren spoke at the University of California,
Irvine in February 2010. Their brief outbursts,
at best representing protected First Amendment
speech and at worst harmless civil disobedience,
have led to McCarthyistic misdemeanor charges. On
September 23, 2011, an Orange Country jury found them “guilty.”

We unequivocally condemn these charges, which
unfairly single out and criminalize Muslim
students who chose to exercise their First
Amendment right to speak out against Israel’s
human rights abuses. Had the speaker not been
Israeli, had the issue not been Palestine, had
the students not been Muslim, these charges never
would have been pursued. Rather, these charges
reflect a climate of Islamophobia and an
irrational exceptionalism for Israel when it
comes to free speech. The charges chill the free
exchange of ideas and students’ right to protest at universities nationwide.

It is our right and duty to speak out against
Israel’s egregious violations of international
law and Palestinian rights. The American
government gives Israel over three billion
dollars a year in military aid and is therefore
directly responsible for Israel’s actions. We are
troubled by the increased suppression of student
voices in support of the Palestinian struggle for
freedom. Student groups around the country
continue to be targeted for their criticisms of
Israeli governmental policies. University
administrators find themselves under intense
pressure from the Israel Lobby when pro-Palestine
events occur on campus. It comes in the form of
public smearing, alumni pressure, and frivolous
lawsuits, as well as U.S. Department of Education
investigations that seek to classify criticism of
Israel as a violation of students’ civil rights.
But it is the criminal prosecution of the Irvine
11 and the silencing of student activists
everywhere that violate our civil rights.

It is inconceivable to suggest that Ambassador
Oren, who has published four opinion-editorials
in the New York Times alone and can easily
command the attention of newspapers and
television crews, has been denied a voice. On the
other hand, it is routine for Palestinians to be
silenced by the military and government that he
represents without any media attention. The
Irvine 11 shed light on the Palestinian voices
constantly excluded from the media and public discourse.

To the Irvine 11: you are not alone. Like Dr.
King wrote of his own unjust verdict, this week
in September, the court convicted more than just
you; it convicted every student dedicated to
upholding human rights and ending injustice. We
commend you for your courage and moral clarity.
We know that the Irvine 11 are convicted
criminals ­ but we are proud of their crime.

<http://www.harvardpsc.com/statement-in-solidarity-with-the-irvine-11/>Harvard
University’s Palestine Solidarity Committee
posted a similar press release that stated:

The Irvine 11 should be commended for confronting
Oren’s propaganda effort to whitewash Israel’s
criminal actions and policies in front of college
audiences. Instead, they have been unjustly
punished for constitutionally-protected dissent
that is a routine part of student activism, including here at Harvard.

On November 23, 2009, Harvard students also
staged a walk-out of a speech by Oren at the
Harvard Kennedy School. Last year, AIDS activists
from Harvard and other colleges
<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/01/us/politics/01aids.html?adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1316888710-h0KJflC0Tw1NE3eedvnVAA>heckled
and interrupted President Obama while he spoke in
Boston. In neither case were students punished
for exercising their right to protest.

 We call on students to support the Irvine 11 as
they move ahead in appealing this unjust verdict.
Further, we call on students to redouble their
Palestine solidarity efforts. This attack only
reinforces the urgency of continuing to organize
in support of equality, justice and freedom for
Palestinians and all oppressed peoples.

Meanwhile, interfaith organizations say they
continue their committment to solidarity and
support of the Irvine 11 and the right to free speech for everyone.

<http://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/blog/jvp-statement-on-irvine-11-verdict>Jewish
Voice for Peace posted its statement over the weekend, which read, in part:

This is a shameful day for the legal system and
the Jewish communal leaders who actively
supported this unfair railroading of young Muslim
students and unprecedented attack on everyone’s
right to free speech. How can it be that the
Israeli ambassador enjoys more rights in the
United States than do young Muslim citizens?

We hope this prompts some real soul searching
among those who actively supported the case
against the Irvine students simply because they
didn’t like what the students had to say about Israel’s human rights record.

The principle of free expression for even
unpopular speech, as it applies to all people, is
fundamental to democracy. And it is never, ever
OK to allow or support the unjust targeting of a
minority group ­ which is what happened here. And
frankly, as a religious and ethnic minority who
was once a largely young immigrant population,
Jews of all people should understand the need to protect minority rights.

And J. Jon Bruno, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese
of Los Angeles/Orange County,
<http://www.irvine11.com/statement-from-episcopal-bishop-j-jon-bruno/>had
this to say about the convictions and the need for interfaith solidarity:

Obviously in light of the Irvine 11 verdicts
there is an immediate need for improved listening
to one another across faith traditions and
reaching a new place of mutual respect. Today I
am calling upon fellow Orange County bishops,
rabbis, and Islamic leaders to come together
immediately in renewed solidarity to address the
issues and injustices raised in relation to these
verdicts. Our Episcopal congregations will also
increase participation in the Shura Council’s
Open Mosque Day on October 16 to demonstrate our
understanding that Islam is at its core a
religion of peace within our shared Abrahamic
tradition, and deserving of equal protection under First Amendment freedoms.

For more on the Irvine 11 solidarity campaign,
visit the Stand With the Eleven website at
<http://www.irvine11.com>www.irvine11.com.