[Ppnews] The “Life Negating Emptiness” of the Pelican Bay SHU

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sun Sep 25 21:26:09 EDT 2011

Voices from Solitary: The “Life Negating Emptiness” of the Pelican Bay SHU

September 25, 2011

by Jean Casella and James Ridgeway
http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/25/voices-from-solitary-the-life-negating-emptiness-of-the-pelican-bay-shu/#more-4040

In 2008 Hector Gallegos won second prize in the
essay category in
<http://www.pen.org/page.php/prmID/152>PEN
American Center’s Prison Writing Contest with his
powerful account of life in the Security Housing
Unit (SHU) of California’s Pelican Bay State
Prison. What follows is a long excerpt from his
essay, entitled “Species of a Lesser God”; the
full piece can be read on
<http://www.pen.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/2491>PEN’s website.

Indelibly etched in the canyons of memory I can
remember being herded onto the Grey Gooses as
these prison transportation buses are commonly
referred to throughout the California Penal
System. The solemn procession of prisoners wore a
somber ghostly mask; one by one waist-chained,
handcuffed and shackled we stepped into the belly
of the Grey Goose. I cannot quite describe with
any degree of accuracy, the feeling that settled
over me prior to boarding, but there was an
ominous silence which hung thickly in the air
like a heavy dark cloud forecasting a wickedly
vicious storm. It projected the coming of a
tempest that would progressively descend upon my
life like a savage moving monsoon. Indeed, a
psychological-emotional storm we would all come
to knew in the life negating emptiness that
awaited our arrival in the Security Housing Units
(SHU) of Pelican Bay State Prison

The heat inside the bus was as stifling as the
tension which lingered in the surrounding
atmosphere. As the bus roared angrily  down
Highway 101 the trance inducing drone of the big
diesel engine lulled me into reflections of my
life. Memories that had soared past me like the
scenery flying by outside the barred, tinted
windows of the anonymous Grey Groose and as
swiftly as the life I had led thus far.

The restless dismal chimes of shackles and chains
broke me away from the melancholy spell I had
fallen under, and there followed the sudden
realization that the world of oceans, mountains
and landscapes would all soon be but a memory of
another lifetime. Looking around me I found not
to be alone in this realization, for the other
prisoners there seemed to be entertaining similar
thoughts, but no one dare speak of them.

What awaited us at the Pelican Bay SHU with its
eerily silent corridors was a purgatory of sorts,
a vacuum of uncertainty, sealed off from every
thing and every one. A place where one is
virtually entombed in a concrete vault with
scarred and pitted walls depicting the  idleness,
boredom and, in some cases, the lunacy of a
previous occupant. It’s a world of its own where,
for most, refuge can only be found through a dreamless state of slumber.

There is a look in the SHU prisoner’s eyes that
is haunting. A foreboding look from eyes that
have themselves stared into the eyes of madness
and human cruelty. Eyes that have looked far into
the abyss of emptiness. Eyes belonging to a species of a lesser God.

This is where my writings began. Borne of a
burning need to find meaning during one of the
darkest periods in my life. That this took place
within the confines of the most depraved,
isolated and suffocating prison units in
California, did much to determine my present view
of the world, perception of self and that of the
human condition as a whole. It was a period in
time which would ultimately lead me through the
loneliest corridors of my soul, across the
coldest expanses of relived personal tragedy and
finally back to the fulcrum in which this paradox is precariously balanced.

It is within this balance between the suffering
of existence and the reality of living where I
found a powerful hidden truth that gave way to a
deeper meaning to life. I say this with a deep
rooted conviction because I have come face to
face with what has been said are among man’s
greatest fears; the fear of death, fear of the
dark and fear of being alone. Before I continue,
however, I wish to briefly define what is meant
by this writer in having faced the fears
mentioned above, so that the intended meaning is
not lost on the reader. It further provides a
basis from where the imagination is better able
to perceive the underlying message which yearns
so strongly and with such passion to express
itself. It’s an account that not only wants, but needs to be told.

In any case, when I speak of having faced the
fear of death, I do not mean DEATH as in the
clinical sense of the word, but rather of two
aspects of the one thing; both of which are
essential to the phenomenon of death. One being
symbolic of death as in the “then and there”
physical presence, and the other of a
physic-psychological color. The prisoner who has
given it some thought, in particular the ones
confined in extremely isolated conditions such as
those found in the Security Housing Units (SHUs)
of Pelican Bay State Prison, soon finds himself
faced with a terribly frightening reality. That,
with the exception of a few loving family
members, or maybe a dear friend, he no longer
exists to the outside world. The only thing that
remains of him out there are memories, and the
love for him vigilantly kept in the sanctity of
the hearts and minds of his family. As such, in a
world beyond prison walls, one is nothing more
than a ghost of his former self. The point is
nailed home when one realizes how much of his
life has passed him by while he sits in the same
cell, year after year. He longs for what is
passing him by, knowing he can never be a part of
it. It is as if he has died and observes this
from a reality, which indeed perhaps only the dead would understand.

Another aspect of the symbolism of death
experienced by a prisoner is when he discerns, by
the mere fact of his incarceration he has killed
the “Him” that should have been, the lover he
wishes to be, the father he cannot be, the son he
failed to be and the person he never grew into.
He has, in essence, killed, at least for the
duration of his confinement, that greater part of
himself. In this sense and for the time being he
may well be dead, for he cannot live up to the
expectations of what he should have been. The
prisoner lives on the dark side of the moon. He
is tormented by two worlds, the one he lives in
and the one he left behind; caught in sticky
quagmire somewhere between heaven and Hell.

In regard to the physic-psychological aspect of
death. What is meant here is the collective
summation of the effects isolation has on a
person subjected to a prolonged period of sensory
deprivation. Here a prisoner is no longer able to
experience what is inherent in human life­the
touch of another human being! I speak of a place
where one is stripped of not only his freedom but
of his association with other human beings and of
his personal sense of purpose and awareness.
Where common compassion, pity and human decency
are virtually unheard of. And when man is
deprived of the qualities which make him human,
for a lengthy amount of time, he is gradually and
unwittingly transformed into a creature of sorts
and will respond in kind. Then there are those
who will give way to perhaps the saddest,
cruelest death a man can suffer; “death of the
mind and will to resist”. An individual’s sense
of self worth is quietly and maliciously gnawed
away at by monotony and emptiness. Death by
attrition slow, sure, and maddeningly relentless.

I can describe what I just have with such clarity
because I gave witness to it in the catacombs of
Pelican Bay. And like any experience that cannot
be wholly understood by mere observation; “I
lived it!” I, like the countless others whose
misfortune it was, and continues to be in the
SHU, know how cold and terrifying it is to be in
the suffocating grip of oblivion. An oblivion I
came to terms with only because I was bullied
into it by a brutal reality. But what’s
unsettling about this acceptance is the
realization that within this oblivion my thoughts
alone confined my existence. For in the face of
such emptiness I had nothing by which to measure
it. Questions such as, “Why do I continue to
forge on?” would pound away at me. “For what
purpose?” And most of all, “Who or what have I
become?” It was then when I was cast under the
unbearable light of conscious being. I was forced
into it. The isolation in the SHU demanded that I
ponder my situation, otherwise I would have
surely drowned in its paralyzing numbness, living
out a slow death. Even as I write this account, I
wonder if my writings are not merely the ravings
of a mad man, perhaps I am already submerged in the numbness.

To question one’s own sanity and existence is a
disquieting discourse, because when the questions
are posed, initially there are no viable answers.
One shouts out these questions in the seemingly
empty canyons of thought, only to be reciprocated
with haunting echoes of the same questions. To
realize this is to recognize the pressing need
for meaning in one’s life. Here in prison one
must travel through the crucibles of
self-examination and through all of its fires to
arrive at the answers. In doing this one must
first learn to confront his fears, whether they
be death, darkness or loneliness, before he is
able to move on in search of his own life’s
meaning. It is here in this gulag of concrete,
steel and misery where I came to learn the subtle
difference between existing and living. This self
discovery came by way of learning what it feels
like spending countless hours in the icy grip of
loneliness. Through this experience I am able to
understand why so many people are so utterly
afraid of being alone­a piece of knowledge attached to the price of bitterness.

My personal experience is not just a poignant
account of human misery in solitary confinement,
but also of a collective experience of what
prison life entails. I believe it gives the
reader a penetrating insight into the human
condition as a whole. It’s through my personal
writings that I seek to reach out. Not only for
myself but for those others whom are still
struggling to find a rational context for it all