[Ppnews] Georgia Senator Urges Execution Staff to Strike & Refuse to Kill Troy Davis

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Sep 20 16:53:22 EDT 2011

Georgia Senator Joins SCHR to Urge Execution
Staff to Strike & Refuse to Kill Troy Davis

Date of Publication:
  09/20/2011

Atlanta – Today, the day before Troy Anthony
Davis is scheduled to be put to death by lethal
injection, Georgia Senate Democratic Whip Vincent
Fort and Southern Center for Human Rights
Executive Director Sara Totonchi have issued a
joint statement calling upon the individuals
charged with carrying out the execution to refuse
to participate in the killing of a possibly innocent man.

Davis is scheduled to be executed on Wednesday,
September 21 at 7:00pm at Georgia Diagnostics &
Classifications Prison in Jackson, Georgia. The
statement, included below and sent to all parties
mentioned, appeals to the basic humanity of
individuals who each play roles in carrying out
an execution including the private medical
company that contracts with the state to be
involved in executions and the Corrections staff at the prison.

Statement from Senator Vincent Fort and Sara
Totonchi to Those Who Will Carry Out the Execution of Troy Davis

The execution of Troy Davis is immoral and
wrong.  Almost all of the witnesses against him
have recanted.  The courts and the parole board
have failed to use their power to prevent this
imminent miscarriage of justice. However, Troy
Davis' execution cannot take place unless human
beings at the Georgia Diagnostic &
Classifications Prison make it happen.  They can refuse to kill Troy Davis.

We call on Dr. Carlo Musso, CEO of Rainbow
Medical Associates, the organization contracted
by the Georgia Department of Corrections to
oversee executions, to decline to participate and
not allow any physician or other medical
personnel associated with his companies to
participate in the immoral execution of a
possibly innocent man, Troy Davis.  We also call
on all employees of Dr. Musso's businesses,
Rainbow Medical Associates and CorrectHealth,
Inc., who have any involvement with implementing
the Georgia Department of Corrections execution
protocol, to refuse to participate in the
execution of Troy Davis. Remember your humanity
and that your oath is to facilitate healing, not killing!

We are calling for a general strike or sick-out
by all but a skeleton staff of the Georgia
Diagnostic Prison on September 21st, 2011.  We
say to the prison staff: If you work on that day,
you will enable the prison to carry out the
execution of a possibly innocent man.  Please remember your humanity!

We specifically call on Georgia Diagnostic Prison
Warden Carl Humphrey to refuse to carry out the
execution of Troy Davis, because he may be
innocent.  Warden Humphrey, remember your
humanity.   You have the power to stop this immoral execution.  Use it!

We call on the Deputy Warden of the Georgia
Diagnostic Prison to refuse to prepare the lethal
injection drugs for injection into Troy Davis'
veins.  You have the power to disrupt this
immoral execution.  Remember your humanity and refuse to participate!!

We call on the prison nurses, who prepare the IV
lines through which lethal chemicals will flow
through Troy Davis' veins:  Refuse to participate
in the execution of Troy Davis, because he may be
innocent.  You are human beings who have the
power to stop this immoral execution.  Your oath
is to facilitate healing, not killing!

We call on the corrections officers who are
assigned to strap Troy Davis to the lethal
injection table:  Refuse to carry out your tasks
tomorrow!  You have the power to stop this immoral execution.  Call in sick!

We call on the members of the Injection
Team:  Strike!  Do not follow your orders!  Do
not start the flow of the lethal injection
chemicals.  If you refuse to participate, you
make it that much harder for this immoral execution to be carried out.

Each and every one of you are human beings with
the power to refuse and resist participation in
an immoral execution of a man who may be
innocent. We implore you to use this power. Please remember your humanity!

Media Contact: Kathryn Hamoudah 404/688-1202
<mailto:khamoudah at schr.org>khamoudah at schr.org